Lpatop fell off while charging...

Koko56

[H]ard|Gawd
The laptop was on the table and the cable got caught... so it fell on the actual place where the cable goes in it seems. The port for the power cable looks damaged and the laptop won't turn on from battery or the cable. There are some sparks coming off the cable when you try to plug it in.

I also can not open it as it seems to be jamming on the side where the VGA and HDMI ports as if something is holding it in place. I have removed all of the screws - even the ones in the OD and HD areas.

Can anyone help me with this and say what it could possibly be that is preventing the laptop from turning on?

I have a suspicion that it could be something like the inverter, but for the whole laptop - whatever may regulate the power from the battery/power cord.

The laptop is a Samsung Q310 from ~ late 2008.

Would really appreciate any help!

Pics can be supplied np.

chances are you have screws under the keyboard as well

there should be clips along the perimeter of th ekeyboard that you press into the laptop to unclip them, theyre thin and somehwat hard to tell

when you remove the keyboard u shold have to unscrew 4-8 screws to release the casing

if it fell, then you've got physical damage. best case scenario, nothing shorted. quit plugging it in until you can keep it from sparking, for one thing :)

all that is to say, I doubt it's the inverter...unless you mean that it broke away from the pcb.

very similar thing happened to my older dell a few years ago.
luckily the plug was on a daughterboard, because good luck soldering on modern circuit boards :)

Your DC plug on the system board could have been knocked loose. However, the fact that it doesn't turn on from the battery either leads me to believe that you might have damaged the system board.

As for getting it apart. They are held together with screws as well as plastic clips. Sometimes you have to know where to pry to get it to come apart and sometimes you're missing a screw.

If your DC connector is loose, the repair is about as much as the labor to replace the board. Most places charge $100 or more to do it. I've seen a lot of them come loose rather easily after that.

Either way, good luck.

Thanks guys, will see if there are any more catches to be undone. Hmm, not looking bright this.

if you are lucky your power jack is on a seperate board that you can replace to find out just google "model of laptop replacement parts"

I just looked for the power jack for Q310 costs about £2.50.

But yeah, if the the bit where the jack is soldered snapped off, it would be expensive - a guy in a shop said that it would be around £200.

All would have been made easier if I could actually open the laptop. :/

UPDATE: Good news!

After watching this video I saw the little catches around the keyboard. Was not sure if they would be on my model - but still I had a look and.. there they were. Took all the screws out and pressed the catches in. The only thing that is visually damaged is the power jack. The laptop is now in bits... and err there are quite a few cables to put back in. Hmm should have taken a photo. :p

Now I will try to get the power jack and see if putting it in works.
Bad news is that the new battery which was a few days old does not stay in the laptop anymore - the catches snapped off, however the laptop mechanism seems undamaged as the old battery clicks in no problem.

this is why the Apple magnetic charger is such a good idea and i dont understand why other companies dont have quick disconnects for their chargers also.

Breaking my Dell like this and the Apple charger were considerations when I bought my MacBook. I suspect that magnetic charging is patented to the moon so very few companies do it.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

this is why the Apple magnetic charger is such a good idea and i dont understand why other companies dont have quick disconnects for their chargers also.

This, I've lost count of how many stupid incidents have occurred w/ my MBP and the power cord being yanked from it. Shitty that it isn't replicated elsewhere.

I really don't know much about the business of patenting, but it's either the press covering every single Apple patent or Apple is a serious patent whore.

Yeah, would have been nice if the Q310 had it

I really don't know much about the business of patenting, but it's either the press covering every single Apple patent or Apple is a serious patent whore.

Yeah, would have been nice if the Q310 had it

Apple is more likely to develop its own formats if it thinks they can be done better, so patents are more common. You can't reslly patent a generic power connector from a Dell notebook, there's little incentive to pursue patents the way Apple does.

UPDATE!

Hay gais, I fixed it!

Ordered the powerjack from ebay for about £2.60, soldered it on and bam, it all works. Just need to buy a new battery now... even though the one from the accident had about two weeks of use. :p

The place where the powerjack attaches is actually bent - the motherboard itself, but it works. The battery connector was just a bit bent - s oI bent it back into place and it now the laptop works from the battery.

THe only problems are a... errr... spare screw and I need to put the keyboard back into palce, properly - it does not seem to be in on left and right.

Massive thanks for suggesting to look for a powerjack!

Back