(low budget) 2nd hand GPU for i7-9700 for Fortnite

Wolfsbane2k

Limp Gawd
Hi.

Due to Ryzen 3500U based laptop failure, I've been loaned an dell box with a i7-9700 and 16GB ram; It's mine to do with what i want, but may be recalled at any time it's needed.

My kids used the old laptop for Fortnite @ 1080p, which mostly did the job; while the iGPU of the 9700 seems just about capable, it's crashing and fingers are being pointed (by epic) at the iGPU and shared memory by epic. . I also played the 2013 Tomb Raider and Skyrim on it, as well as things like Torchlight 2, but didn't buy new games because of poor GPU capabilites.

As it's a loan PC, and I'm saving up for a new laptop, I'm therefore looking at something "cheap" - circa £50-60 ideally, that'll give me something that'll be more stable and support better than Fortnite low performance mode, possibly up a 1440p (27" 1440p monitor with AMD Freesync) . Really want/need something quiet as well if possible... i know, big ask!

Current options appear to be
New : (£75) 2GB Nvidia 1030 or Radrion RX550 - which i understand are about on par with the i7-9700's IGPU, so a waste of money.
Second Hand £60 - : 1050TI 4GB - (2016 Pascal) or RX 570 (2017 Polaris 20)

Is there really nothing else more modern that is typically down at the bottom end of the budget at the moment?
if this is the case, as i'm looking 2nd hand, i'm concious of the effect of mining etc on the longeviity of these GPU's .

Is anyone able to recommend anything in particular, such as which direction would you be going in?
Ta!

Get a used RX580 if you're on a budget. Other wise I would go for something like a RTX 3060Ti. I've got a 3060Ti in my kid's pc and all they play is Fortnite, Minecraft, and Roblox. It's capable of handing these games with high frame rates on a 1440P monitor. There's also the added benefit of DLSS if you want more frames.

I've been loaned an dell box with a i7-9700 and 16GB ram;
What Dell box? You may be limited by the form factor and stock PSU. Is it a tower or SFF? Many GPU's will need external power. What is the PSU rated at? So, if your Dell doesn't have one or two 8 or 6 pin GPU power connectors you may be limited to a low power card that will run off the slot only. Size of the GPU may play a role, given you can power it.

Get a used RX580 if you're on a budget. Other wise I would go for something like a RTX 3060Ti. I've got a 3060Ti in my kid's pc and all they play is Fortnite, Minecraft, and Roblox. It's capable of handing these games with high frame rates on a 1440P monitor. There's also the added benefit of DLSS if you want more frames.
I doubt you're getting a 3060ti for op budget.

I7 9700 GPU isn’t as fast as a RX 550. Not by a long shot. Keep in mind that ‘Racing’ to see which gpu is faster is comparing a Geo Metro to a lawn mower. The 3500U is ran by Vega 3 graphics if I recall. The RX 550 is comparable to Vega 8. So the RX 550 will exceed your expectations for little money, I got an OEM Dell low profile RX 550 for $40 shipped recently. I couldn’t justify $150 for a 6400 for my use cases

What Dell box? You may be limited by the form factor and stock PSU. Is it a tower or SFF? Many GPU's will need external power. What is the PSU rated at? So, if your Dell doesn't have one or two 8 or 6 pin GPU power connectors you may be limited to a low power card that will run off the slot only. Size of the GPU may play a role, given you can power it.
Good call - Micro ATX based precision workstation with 460W PSU, with 2 x 6Pin GPU (and a 8Pin adaptor). Was originally spec'ed to hold a RTX2080 or 2 RTX2060's in SLI, although pretty sure that was meant to come with a 850W PSU!

I7 9700 GPU isn’t as fast as a RX 550. Not by a long shot. Keep in mind that ‘Racing’ to see which gpu is faster is comparing a Geo Metro to a lawn mower. The 3500U is ran by Vega 3 graphics if I recall. The RX 550 is comparable to Vega 8. So the RX 550 will exceed your expectations for little money, I got an OEM Dell low profile RX 550 for $40 shipped recently. I couldn’t justify $150 for a 6400 for my use cases
The 3500U had a Vega 8 in it.

According to passmark ( yes, i know, benchmarks... ) as well as elsewhere (Toms Hardware) indicate that the Ryzen Vega 8, and i7 9700's UHD630 are circa half the 550; so at least it's some upgrade, but doesn't seem good value when a 2nd hand 570 costs the same.

1692704389173.png

I would buy an rx580. Super super cheap right now and plentiful.

That said, when my 1080gtx died I ran fortnite on the igpu in my i5-6600k and it ran just fine. It was comparable to my 3200g APU.

I would buy an rx580. Super super cheap right now and plentiful.

That said, when my 1080gtx died I ran fortnite on the igpu in my i5-6600k and it ran just fine. It was comparable to my 3200g APU.
Thanks - that's very interesting. When it's running on the igpu on the 9700k it runs ok at 1080p on low performance mode, but just randomly crashes, occasionaly after 20 seconds, sometimes over 45 minutes... and once in a final solo standoff.. which was not appreciated!
It's possible that its' actually USB Wifi or other related, but i'm happy to through £60 at it to play a bit better anyway .

If you can fit full height, dual slot cards an RX 570 or something similar is an easy choice. Dell box more often than not means SFF, half height single slot low profile requirements. In those cases, the 550 is the best value

If you can fit full height, dual slot cards an RX 570 or something similar is an easy choice. Dell box more often than not means SFF, half height single slot low profile requirements. In those cases, the 550 is the best value
Yep, can fit full size PCIE cards in it... it had 3 in doing other stuff. It's just a "short" but full width/depth desktop case rather than SFF/uSFF.

Just found a 580 RX for £50, so watching that...

Thanks.

Yep, can fit full size PCIE cards in it... it had 3 in doing other stuff. It's just a "short" but full width/depth desktop case rather than SFF/uSFF.

Just found a 580 RX for £50, so watching that...

Thanks.
Your system looks ok for most lower end or older cards. So, a RX 580 may be fine, given it's rated around 180w (although some may be more power hungary) and for your price range could be best given it's an 8G VRAM model. You can look at sniping 1060 6G models used (very popular until recently) or get lucky on a 6500xt for something newer. These are lower power usage, about the same or better performance but have less VRAM which may be an issue in some circumstances.

Watch your cooling. Those OEM boxes often don't have any extra airflow, just enough to meet their minimum specs. Some are built for light office use and are not workstations. Temps may be a factor for your iGPU usage crashing. OEM's generally ship with a blower style card to help with heat inside the box and that may be better suited for your situation versus an axial fan based card that dumps the heat into the case. Make sure you have decent airflow if going that route.

Your system looks ok for most lower end or older cards. So, a RX 580 may be fine, given it's rated around 180w (although some may be more power hungary) and for your price range could be best given it's an 8G VRAM model. You can look at sniping 1060 6G models used (very popular until recently) or get lucky on a 6500xt for something newer. These are lower power usage, about the same or better performance but have less VRAM which may be an issue in some circumstances.

Watch your cooling. Those OEM boxes often don't have any extra airflow, just enough to meet their minimum specs. Some are built for light office use and are not workstations. Temps may be a factor for your iGPU usage crashing. OEM's generally ship with a blower style card to help with heat inside the box and that may be better suited for your situation versus an axial fan based card that dumps the heat into the case. Make sure you have decent airflow if going that route.
Good points on cooling, thank you. It's meant to be a small workstation class chassis (precision 36 something) with a number of cutouts for fans, including one in the top, and I've got a few extra fans and temp sensors from my defunct 15+ year old case that i can transfer over to assist.

Back