Lots of Steam Friend Requests?

TheGardenTool

2[H]4U
So in the past 2-3 months I've received a lot of Steam friend requests from people I have no idea who they are, they never send a message saying anything about knowing me, etc. I asked a friend and he doesn't get any random requests.

Is anybody else getting them? Anybody know a reason why?

maybe a community you joined, or one of your friends did? I got one the other day from a hardocp person! woot woot!

maybe a community you joined, or one of your friends did? I got one the other day from a hardocp person! woot woot!

Hmm I'll have to look again but I don't think I'm in any communities. I only have 2 people on my friends list and 1 is the one not getting invites and I don't think the other is in any communities either but I'll ask.

Do you have a lot of (or any older) TF2 items? Is your profile public?

Present company excluded but TF2 players are scummy as hell and they will harass you to trade for hats if you accept their friend requests.

Make your profile visible to friends only and they will go away.

I'm pretty sure this is what's happening.

Do you have a lot of (or any older) TF2 items? Is your profile public?

Present company excluded but TF2 players are scummy as hell and they will harass you to trade for hats if you accept their friend requests.

Make your profile visible to friends only and they will go away.

I'm pretty sure this is what's happening.

Hmm yeah I do have just a handful of older TF2 items. I haven't played it much since those came out. And I did have my settings on public, although I thought they were private. I guess comments were the only thing changed.

I just changed it and maybe that will fix it. Thanks for the information, I had no idea trades in TF2 were that big of a deal.

Have you ever pretended to be a girl when playing a steam game? That will always get you lots of requests.

Have you ever pretended to be a girl when playing a steam game? That will always get you lots of requests.

Ha, no. I also haven't played anything online through Steam in a long time. Before these requests started coming in like crazy.

weird havent had that problem

Untitled-1.jpg

You can set your inventory as friends only/private. Setting your profile to private means you can't use some sites like Steam Calculator/that backlog one (should you want to :D).

The same thing happened to me, until I did that. Theyd add me i'd think that maybe I knew them or something so i'd add away, then a few minutes later theyd ask about some TF2 items (usually a rocket launcher from a preorder).

One thing thats been happening more and more is constant spam community requests from people I don't even know and have never played games with... That even happened when the profile was private... :eek:

Most likely TF2 the same thing happened to me because I guess I have some rare items that came out around when TF2 first became F2P - I haven't played since then.

weird havent had that problem

Untitled-1.jpg

i loled

but i get random invites all the time. i don't know who 75% of the people on my friends are.

it seems to depend on the game you play. after every game on cs go i get an invite from someone in the game i just played.

OOOOOOOOOOh so that's the reason. I've set my profile to public since I add my YouTube videos now to my Steam and I get a bunch of requests and most of the time they ask me if I 'trade'. I just say no and they go away. But I guess they want my TF2 items? Especially the ones that come when I buy other games.

So how does this scam work?

it sounds not exactly a scam, but more like "they see you have something, and they want it and seeing if your willing to trade."

Yeah, there are tools online that go through people's backpacks (who have public profiles) looking for valuable items.

To be fair, you aren't using whatever it is they are after (Earbuds, Bills Hat, Max's severed head, a handful of rare Vintage weapons, etc) and it is worth real money to them (usually they want the $10 and up items). I don't really blame them for trying, but it can get annoying. Some "genuine" items are decently valuable too.

The easy way to make them go away is to donate all your unused/valuable TF2 items to me :D

I should sell all that crap then. I have no use for it (TF2 is boring and tedious). :D

Though it's probably against some polices and not worth the risk for a few dollars.

Selling for dollars is a pain. Selling for other items is kinda useless if you aren't gonna use them either.

There is no "risk" to selling for paypal other than, well, not getting your money.

Also, only a few certain items are worth anything. Most are worth around a penny.

Slightly more on topic, while people aren't looking to "scam" you, they are certainly looking to take advantage of you. They in general wish to get your valuable items "on the cheap" so to speak.

i have lot of stream friends from the past , i have no clue who some are them are and some people havnt been on steam in years.

i really should delete everyone and do a new list.

Keep your profile public, tell them you want $100 per hat. :)

I'll pay you $100 per hat, honest. Just give them all to me, I'll add it up, and you can expect paypal payment in a few hours.

Oops, I forgot your paypal address. And removed you from friends. And blocked all communication. What a shame ;)

I can tell you I always got more healing in TF2 when my avatar was a picture of my Ex's tits in latex... Also lots of random friend invites...

Now, not so much...

Back