Lost, Confused and Don't know What to Do after my upgrade to Dell XPS 8900

DaveM88

n00b
I am totally baffled with something that happened after I started using my new PC. XPS 8900.

I've been using my WD Live media player and now KDLINKS HD720 connecting two WD MyBook 4TB and 128gb flash drive. The hard drives were always iffy and I hated to disconnect them from the TV and then to my old PC because it would sometimes take too much time for WD Player to reconnect the 4TB drives back to the player, however, at the end, it all worked.

Now, my huge problem...

I got myself a new Dell XPS 8900.

As soon as I connected my WD 4TB drive (via USB) to the new computer and added a few movies, this drive could never be found by the WD player or the 2nd player I bought recently. It just doesn't see it.

I thought that maybe it was only this particular 4TB drive. So, I took my second one and also connected it to my XPS8900. Then disconnected and connected back to the WD Player ... and ... gone. That thing does not see the external HD.

WHY????

Note, my 128gb USB 3.0 is functions just right. No issues after using the new computer. Also, my other 32gb flash drive also works just fine. One similarity that happens for both 128gb and 32gb drives is that this XPS8900 shows me that these 2 drives have errors and need fixing. I reject because I remember that once I did that, this drive stopped working on my WD Media player.

So ... seems like, when my XPS8900 "thinks" that USB/drives have errors, that means it will work just fine on the media player.

Could this new PC added some registry files to the 4TB drives? Is the problem that my old PC was Windows 7 and this one is Windows 10?

I really need these two 4TB drives to be usable on the media player.

Any help would be very appreciated.
Thank you.

well, now, connecting my 4tb External HD to my Laptop running Windows 7, it found some errors and I am doing both 1) Automatically fixing file system errors as well as 2) Scanning and attempting to recover bad sectors.

Looks like it's going to take 5 hours for this process to end. Have no idea if it will help.

My other choice would be to use my 2 4TB drives connected to PC and just transfer to USB flash drives whatever I want to watch. Kind of a pain in the butt.

Maybe there is some sort of network capability for Kdlinks media player? That way it can read from my PC??? I was able to somehow get my PC to read from the Kdlinks media player but not vise versa.

Ok .... success !

Took one of the 4TB drives, connected to my laptop running Windows 7, did DISK fix where it fixed something, connected it back to the media player by TV via USB and it was found.

Doing the same now to the 2nd 4TB hard drive.

So ... what is it? I can't use these 2 drives with my new PC that is running Windows 10?

There's a possibility that the USB port itself on that Dell is corrupting the drives. Just to be clear: You still see issues whether the drives are connected straight to the motherboard via the rear ports or the front USB ports?

There's a possibility that the USB port itself on that Dell is corrupting the drives. Just to be clear: You still see issues whether the drives are connected straight to the motherboard via the rear ports or the front USB ports?

Hmm .... interesting point. I connect my 4tb HD via rear port but my 128gb USb that works fine is connected via front port. Could it be that rear USB port is the problem? I have other devices connected via rear USB like printer, etc and they work fine.

Alright ... problem fixed! Took both drives and instead of using new PC's rear USB ports, I used front USB port. Works just fine! Or maybe it needed to be scanned once on the old computer and it doesn't really matter which USB port it is, back or front. Either way ... everything works now.

Back