Lost Bios Password Reset or Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberty

Extremely [H]
Anyone have any ideas on how to recover or reset a Bios password? I'm working on a Dell PowerEdge 2600 server and need to make some changes in the Bios and it has a setup password. Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Tried some of the standard Phoenix passwords with no luck.
2. Flashed the Bios to the latest version. Bios flash worked but it still has the password.
3. Tried resetting the Bios by pulling the battery overnight. This reset the Bios to defaults but it still has the password!

Any other ideas?

Call Dell and explain your situation, they gave me the code for an older Inspiron laptop I had to fix
Explain to them that the machine died during the day while the company was using it and your trying to fix it by the AM

Anyone have any ideas on how to recover or reset a Bios password? I'm working on a Dell PowerEdge 2600 server and need to make some changes in the Bios and it has a setup password. Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Tried some of the standard Phoenix passwords with no luck.
2. Flashed the Bios to the latest version. Bios flash worked but it still has the password.
3. Tried resetting the Bios by pulling the battery overnight. This reset the Bios to defaults but it still has the password!

Any other ideas?

This is straight from the Dell's manual for that model (poweredge 2600):
Hope it Helps :)

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe2600/en/sm/jumpers.htm

The system's software security features include a system password and a setup password, which are discussed in detail in "Using the System Setup Program." The password jumper enables these password features or disables them and clears any password(s) currently in use.
***CAUTION: Only trained service technicians are authorized to remove the system cover and access any of the components inside the system. See your System Information Guide for complete information about safety precautions, working inside the computer, and protecting against electrostatic discharge.

1. Turn off the system, including any attached peripherals, and disconnect the system from the electrical outlet.

2. Remove the cover (see "Removing the Cover").

3. Remove the jumper plug from the password jumper.

See Figure 5-2 to locate of the password jumper (labeled "PASSWD") on the system board.

4. Replace the cover (see "Removing the Cover").

5. Reconnect your system and peripherals to their electrical outlets, and turn on the system.

The existing passwords are not disabled (erased) until the system boots with the password jumper plug removed. However, before you assign a new system and/or setup password, you must install the jumper plug.
NOTE: If you assign a new system and/or setup password with the jumper plug still removed, the system disables the new password(s) the next time it boots.

6. Turn off the system, including any attached peripherals, and disconnect the system from the electrical outlet.

7. Remove the cover (see "Removing the Cover").

8. Install the jumper plug on the password jumper.

9. Replace the cover (see "Removing the Cover").

10. Reconnect your system and peripherals to their electrical outlets, and turn on the system.

11. Assign a new system and/or setup password.

To assign a new passwords using the System Setup program, see "Assigning a System Password" and "Assigning a System Setup Password."

I sure appreciate the info Sob Rogue. That cleared it right up! I had looked at some of the documention on it at Dell but didn't find that page. You definately [H]elped a bro' out with that info.

Thanks again!! :cool:

I sure appreciate the info Sob Rogue. That cleared it right up! I had looked at some of the documention on it at Dell but didn't find that page. You definately [H]elped a bro' out with that info.

Thanks again!! :cool:

Glad I Could Help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back