Losing video, system locking up

Phaethar

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I'm placing this in the video cards section as it the video card seems a likely culprit here.

My wife informed me last night that her system was having some issues. I only had a few minutes to look at it and will be spending more time with it tonight, but I was hoping to get some opinions on likely causes before that.

What happens is that the system will boot up normally, and she'll use it for a few minutes (anywhere from 2 up to maybe 20, seems pretty random from her description), at which point the screen will suddenly go dark and the system appears to lock up (fails the num lock test). There is still power to the system however. Holding down the power button is required to shut it down. Powering it back up at this point is hit or miss. Sometimes it comes right back up. Sometimes it powers up, but there is never actually anything on screen. It looked like it went through and checked the drives when this happened (DVD drive and floppy drive lit up briefly), but nothing beyond that. Appeared to be another hard lock. Shutting down and powering back up eventually would come up ok, but upon getting back into Windows it would only remain up for a few minutes. All my wife really was doing was web browsing at the time.

The system itself is a pretty fresh build, and not heavily used. Relevant hardware info is:

- Biostar A770 Motherboard
- AMD Athlon X2 4800+ CPU
- 2GB DDR2 Dual Channel memory kit
- BFG 7800GTX
- Onboard sound
- Antec Earthwatts 430W power supply
- WinXP

All of the hardware was purchased new late last summer with the exception of the video card, which is an old one of mine. The system has been running just fine since then, and only just recently started behaving like this.

I did a quick check of the event logs last night and didn't see anything that would indicate a software crash. It looked like all system and CPU fans were running as well, although I didn't check the video card fan at the time.

Anyone seen something similar by chance? I can get more details tonight if need be.

Thanks!

I'm thinking power supply, power supplies seem to degrade over time so it's possible that's the issue.

how clogged up with dust is it? I wonder if the CPU fan is ultra crushed.

Nah, the system is clean. It's not used enough to really build up a lot of dust. I will check temps and such tonight of course, but when I checked in the case last night to make sure all the fans were running everything looked pretty clean. Running an aftermarket cooler with a 92mm fan for the CPU as well.

Wish there was an easier way of testing the power supply short of trying a different one. The one in there now is only about 8 months old.

Back