Looking to use an External monitor with my iBook

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
Someone tell me... will this adapter plug into the iBook "Video Out Port"? http://www.superwarehouse.com/Apple_Video_Adapter_Mini-DVI_-_to_Mini-DVI/M9321G_A/p/386005

I have a cable that came with my iBook. It looks almost exactly like the one in the link, except it is "Apple Video Out Port" to VGA. And since we all know VGA is analog and sucks now, I'm wondering if the cable I found from that store will fit my iBook. Apple's site doesn't say, because techically you aren't supposed to be able to screen span with an iBook, however it is very easy to with a simple Screen Spanning Doctor hack. That said, Apple only advertises the product in the link for Powerbooks and iMac... products which are supposed to be able to screen span.

I'm hoping to be able to plug it in, and connect it to a Dell 2007WFP, and run 1680x1050 resolution via DVI. Think it'll work?

no... the iBook's only have 32mb of video memory and only send VGA out...i cant imagine it pushing those pixels even if it could go with DVI out...

With DVI out on my Ti powerbook (867)... I was able to push 1680 x 1050 pixels. The 20' Cinema Display looked awesome... I don't know whether this would be possible over the VGA connection, however... In fact, I would doubt it.

no, the adapter you posted won't work. Assuming you have one of the newer revision ibooks, you have mini-vga output. As I'm sure you know, you can't go from analog to digital without a pretty expensive box.

That being said, ibooks can mirror their main display, which means *should* be bale to easily output 1024x768. Using a spanning hack, I would imagine they could handle basic desktop stuff at 2x 1024x768 without much trouble.

PS- analog isn't that bad IMO, especially with everything the ibook was designed to do.

The thing is, I've read on several other forums that people have been pushing their iBook (some older than mine, with GPUs like Radeon 7500s and such) at 1680x1050 on 20" Widescreen monitors.

I just tried mine on my BenQ 19" LCD... 1280x1024 and it worked flawlessly. This was on VGA obviously.

I still stand by my original statement... it worked for me on an older GPU, It'll work for you on a newer one...

Back