looking to upgrade for less then $100

Rev. Night

[H]ard|Gawd
hey, i am looking for ways to meaningfully upgrade my computer for less then $100. My current specs are:

amd 2800+
geforce 6800 ultra
abit nf7
512mg crucial pc2700
creative 5.1 Live!
1 x 40 gig hdd
1 x 120 gig hdd
LG 12x dvd-rw, dual layer.

i am totally fine with the comp/mobo/gpu, but i was wondering which would make my computer run/ be better: Put down $78 for an additional 512 mg of pc2700, or put down $80-90 or so for an audigy 2 sound card.

As per the memmory, i notice that when i exit Tribes:Vengeance, C&C Generals, Doom 3, or HL2:CS, there is a good 20 secs that the computer acts slow as shit and is still shutting down the game. would faster ram help this or more ram (not both!)?

For the sound card, my speaker setup is a Logitech 4.1 z-560s. The speakers are incredible, its just that when i turn the bass way up on the control panel, and then additionally way up in windows, i can really hear crappy bass sound distortion. Is this becuase of the card or the speakers? And no, its not the mp3. this happens to many of them. Also, i see an input on my subwoofer for a Digital Input cord. How much are these? will me 5.1 Live! support it? How much better are these then the standard green and black inputs i am using?

Get the RAM. It'll do far more than a new sound card.
I would think more RAM would help better than faster RAM if your computer is acting sluggish after shutting down games. I don't know from experience, but that would be my guess.

ok, ram it is......but i still have a question concerning the digitial input for my subwoofer. What are they, how much do they cost, how good are they compared to the standard green and black jacks, and does my live! support it.

Back