Looking to narrow down my search for a nice keyboard.

1337Goat

Gawd
Hey there keyboard nerds, I need some help finding the perfect keyboard for me.

My current keyboard is an ancient Microsoft Sidewinder X4, and it's great, but for sure incredibly aged. The paint is falling off, and the domes are squished and not exactly impressive, considering that they're rubber domes.

So I made a list of requirements for a new keyboard.

• 4 to 8 key macro bank. Single column.
  • Easy to use media keys including volume control, preferably as two distinct buttons, but a knob is fine too.
  • Mechanical switches. Quiet, and good for long term typing, as well as gaming. I do professional writing, so being a good typing keyboard is a must.
  • However, I am a fan of backlighting. I have nothing against over the top RGB features, as long as it is possible to dim them.
  • Good software. Having good configuration software is very important, of course.
  • Wired. If it has a wireless mode, I still want the keyboard to have excellent wired support, as if native.
  • When wireless, a long battery life is necessary.
  • Cherry switches are optional. I don't mind using a less popular brand, as long as the quality is excellent.
  • The switch feel I am aiming for might be a Cherry Red, based on some preliminary research I've done, but I am open to other options, if you'd recommend it. I have no experience with mechanical switches.
  • Usage: Typing essays and short stories, and games that might use a non-standard movement layout, like vehicular simulation games. Flight sims, space sims, goat sims, etc. Keyboard+Joystick stuff.
  • This means it must be full size and contain a numpad, and it can't have modified WASD keys, like the Logitech G910.
  • And the price? Between $59 and $121. I'm aiming for long term quality, but I don't need to show off.
So if you have any recommendations, let me know.

Hey there keyboard nerds, I need some help finding the perfect keyboard for me.

My current keyboard is an ancient Microsoft Sidewinder X4, and it's great, but for sure incredibly aged. The paint is falling off, and the domes are squished and not exactly impressive, considering that they're rubber domes.

So I made a list of requirements for a new keyboard.

• 4 to 8 key macro bank. Single column.
  • Easy to use media keys including volume control, preferably as two distinct buttons, but a knob is fine too.
  • Mechanical switches. Quiet, and good for long term typing, as well as gaming. I do professional writing, so being a good typing keyboard is a must.
  • However, I am a fan of backlighting. I have nothing against over the top RGB features, as long as it is possible to dim them.
  • Good software. Having good configuration software is very important, of course.
  • Wired. If it has a wireless mode, I still want the keyboard to have excellent wired support, as if native.
  • When wireless, a long battery life is necessary.
  • Cherry switches are optional. I don't mind using a less popular brand, as long as the quality is excellent.
  • The switch feel I am aiming for might be a Cherry Red, based on some preliminary research I've done, but I am open to other options, if you'd recommend it. I have no experience with mechanical switches.
  • Usage: Typing essays and short stories, and games that might use a non-standard movement layout, like vehicular simulation games. Flight sims, space sims, goat sims, etc. Keyboard+Joystick stuff.
  • This means it must be full size and contain a numpad, and it can't have modified WASD keys, like the Logitech G910.
  • And the price? Between $59 and $121. I'm aiming for long term quality, but I don't need to show off.
So if you have any recommendations, let me know.

logitech website said:
G910 is also available in two versions: Spectrum or Spark. Spectrum features smooth keycaps and full, straightline palm rest. Spark features faceted keycaps and a full, asymmetrical palm rest.

The WASD keys on the G910 are the same as the rest of the keys on it. I have the Spark and all of the keys have a convex shape which I prefer because it guides your fingertips into the middle of the key improving accuracy for both gaming and typing.

I went from a board with cherry reds to the G910 and prefer it's switches because they have a shorter actuation point. You can get cherry switches with a shorter actuation point now too though.

From a performance standpoint the shorter the travel distance before actuation and the less force required to actuate the better it is. From a feel perspective that isn't necessarily true, but that's pure opinion and personal preference and I care more about accuracy and speed. And it's better for both gaming and typing.

The WASD keys on the G910 are the same as the rest of the keys on it.

The WASD keys look the same? They look visibly different in the pictures I've seen, and I would want all the letter keys to look the same.

The WASD keys look the same? They look visibly different in the pictures I've seen, and I would want all the letter keys to look the same.

They have a different look, I thought you meant the shape. The shape of them is the same as the rest.

Back