Looking for upgrade advice

Bman69

n00b
Hey guys im trying to decide if I should build another rig to game on and turn this into a server only computer or just upgrade a few things and save money for later. I have about $600 to toy around with and could go higher if I want to.
Here is what I have currently

AMD FX-8120 OC'd 4.0GHz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
XFX 6950 Radeon HD 2GB
Corsair Force Series GT 120GB
Antec TPQ-850 850W
I also have 7TB+ of additional hard drive space for games/media etc, I use this computer as a server for my house as well so I have lots of tasks running in the background 24/7 so maybe I should invest in more ram or unraid server.

Now i'm looking for what you guys would recommend upgrading with my current setup to help me decide and advice is appreciated

Edit: to be clear I run the following services on this machine
teamspeak server
plex server
sickbeard
couchpotato
sabnzbd
headphones

Last edited:
Do you only have the 120GB SSD in there? No HDD?

Why are you thinking you need an upgrade in the first place?

No I have other HDD's for games/media around 7TB worth of space, I'm thinking about video card perhaps :/
I'm looking to get more FPS in games as I have a 120Hz monitor and like playing on highest settings

Last edited:
Hey guys im trying to decide if I should build another rig to game on and turn this into a server only computer or just upgrade a few things and save money for later.
Here is what I have currently

AMD FX-8120 OC'd 4.0GHz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

Eh, you're running three sticks of ram? That may be hurting your performance if its even possible, need to try this some day...

Theres really nothing wrong with your rig. I would probably upgrade the 6950 to a 7970 but it should get you by just fine. I'm waiting for the next gen to upgrade my 6970. Unless you have a lot of cash to burn theres not much reason to upgrade, there are plenty of people that would love to have your rig...

At the time I didn't think I needed 16 GB but if you think it would be beneficial I can add another 4 GB. Would you recommend getting the 7970 or crossfiring the 6950?

Last edited:
Back