Looking for new WAP suggestions

jimthebob

Gawd
Currently I have a TP-Link AC1750 which up until recently has been working fine. However, with the addition of multiple smart light switches, always on iPad for security cams, smart outlets, additional smart TV's (Shield, Roku, etc), and more I'm sure I'm forgetting, I've been running into stability issues lately with my wifi network. Wifi used to be rock solid but the last several months, the network will experience issues where some devices (i.e. more powerful devices like the nVidia Shield) can connect well enough but distant/lower power things like the iPad, light switches, etc will randomly drop and refuse to reconnect until I restart the AC1750 (NOT my primary router, strictly used an a WAP).

I don't strictly speaking need the latest standards and features. I'm just looking for something I can use as a WAP that can handle many (20+) wireless devices at time with but a mere handful of them always on/pulling data 24/7.

The more cost effective (i.e. the cheaper) the better. I've looked at a few used Ubiquiti solutions but, unless I'm missing an easy good/cheap option, I'm not finding anything that fits the bill.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

I've always heard Ruckus ones are extremely robust--like 2x as robust as ubiquiti. If I had to throw a solution at your issue, that would be my first try.

Ruckus or a Ubiquiti NanoHD would do well.

I have Ubiquiti Gear deployed that is running 100+ clients per radio no problem.

Thanks for the input y'all, but they are a bit high budget for my requirements. I suppose I should have listed that in more detail initially.

Usually have around 18-20 devices connected at all times, 90% via 2.4g. These are the current smart stuff like switches, thermostats, plugs, etc.

Have 1-2 PC's connected and 2 smart phones via 5ghz.

Funny enough, my 2.4g band on my current "WAP" died out today which means I'm having massive connectivity issues (yes I did troubleshooting but the thing is almost 7 years old at this point soooo yeah, it's done).

So I'm currently limping along on an old Linksys EA6200(?). It "works" but it's speeds for devices aren't great. I'm talking an iMac like...15ft away through 1 wall connecting at less than 250mbps. My phone in the back room about 25ft away is at about 90-130mbps, MUCH lower than it used to be.

So long story short, after some googling, I'm actually considering this:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1200-Wireless-Access-WAC104-100NAS/dp/B01LFSDZCU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=AS2Z01C7MUHX&keywords=wifi+ap&qid=1672266468&sprefix=wifi+ap,aps,182&sr=8-3

It's an older but seemingly pretty well regarded device. Is this thing still relevant?? I don't need the latest and greatest with acres of coverage so any feedback on this? Price is more than right and as long as it works better than what I am limping along with, I'll prolly be happy. Thoughts?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you've determined that your TP-Link is just konked out and it was doing the job, my first solution is to always just get another one, set it up identically, confirm operation and get back to life. :D

If you've determined that your TP-Link is just konked out and it was doing the job, my first solution is to always just get another one, set it up identically, confirm operation and get back to life. :D
Yeah I'm already feeling a bad combo of cheap and lazy b/c the slower ol' Linksys router in AP mode seems to be handling things fine. I mean how much bandwidth does a light switch need at the end of the day :LOL: During normal use, our phones are the most bandwidth intensive wireless things in use (iMac is low use and is oddly enough now within reasonable range to be wired up to the AP's current location if I wanted). Phones are usually youtube/facebook video use soo yeah, may just stick with this setup for now and see how it goes. I've got an iPad in my PC room that has a constant feed of one of our security cameras and doesn't hesitate to drop out of there's poor connection. iPad remained connected to the cam and displaying overnight soooo yeah, crossing fingers at this point.

Yeah I'm already feeling a bad combo of cheap and lazy b/c the slower ol' Linksys router in AP mode seems to be handling things fine. I mean how much bandwidth does a light switch need at the end of the day :LOL: During normal use, our phones are the most bandwidth intensive wireless things in use (iMac is low use and is oddly enough now within reasonable range to be wired up to the AP's current location if I wanted). Phones are usually youtube/facebook video use soo yeah, may just stick with this setup for now and see how it goes. I've got an iPad in my PC room that has a constant feed of one of our security cameras and doesn't hesitate to drop out of there's poor connection. iPad remained connected to the cam and displaying overnight soooo yeah, crossing fingers at this point.
As the old saying goes--if there's no problem don't try to solve it. ;)

Maybe have a dedicated 2.4ghz wap for all the IOT stuff and get another just for your primary wifi devices? Food for thought

There are occasionally good post-holiday sales on higher end equipment. I picked up a pair of Netgear WAX218's for $100 after Thanksgiving a couple years ago when I decided to shift away from ubiquiti.

There is a quality difference between a consumer all-in-one router with a Broadcom chipset vs an enterprise WAP with Qualcomm-Atheros. You get what you pay for.

A single Ruckus AP can handle dozens of clients no problem. Aruba too. If that's too rich for your blood, just buy two cheaper AP's for your home and split up the load as mentioned above. Some IOT devices can indeed be very needy. I personally am not a Ubiquiti fan. Lipstick on a pig.

There is a quality difference between a consumer all-in-one router with a Broadcom chipset vs an enterprise WAP with Qualcomm-Atheros. You get what you pay for.

A single Ruckus AP can handle dozens of clients no problem. Aruba too. If that's too rich for your blood, just buy two cheaper AP's for your home and split up the load as mentioned above. Some IOT devices can indeed be very needy. I personally am not a Ubiquiti fan. Lipstick on a pig.
Couldn't agree with this more--Dead on.

Back