Looking for lightweight portable drive solution...

JYeager11

Gawd
Hi,

Looking for portable 1+TB drive solution. Size is a big concern.

I was very close to purchasing a USB3 compatible GoFlex Ultra Portable, until I learned that it requires a special wire/adapter. In other words, the body, on its own, could not connect to standard USB or micro-USB. It needs that clunky wire that comes with it.

(Click the link above and look at the picture with the wire... they purposely turn the connector away from us but you can see that wide portion on the far end... that entire clunky thing is actually PART of the wire, not the drive body... so the drive body, without this "wire", is unusable.)

What solutions exist out there that are this small and light (or as reasonably close as possible), but will connect to the same USB wire that my cell phone, MP3 player, and every other gadget I own use for data transfer? (ie, Micro USB)

No power cords. It needs to get its power from the USB slot.

thanks!

Last edited:
I'm looking at the Western Digital My Passport SE as a viable alternative... I see it listed as USB 2.0 and USB 3.0, depending on the website.

Anyone know if the Passport SE becomes USB 3.0-compatible via firmware update, or if it's a separate, physical model from the USB 2.0 one?

Last edited:
Back