Looking for guidance, 290CF +3570K

smithkt

Limp Gawd
I have a 3570K which I currently have air cooled and clocked to 4.5, stock volts. I just installed an R9-290 with a second one on the way for crossfire. While I think the noise issue on the stock cooler has been overblown, it is not silent when it ramps up. noticeable, but not unbearable. Despite this, I've always wanted to try water cooling and this seems like as good an excuse as any. The case I am currently using, and would like to keep using is the Cooler Master CM690 II. It can supposedly support two 2x120 rads, on in top and one in the bottom.

I have zero experience with this, despite building computers since the 286 days. I've been reading as many threads on the subject as possible, and like most other things, it raises as many questions as it answers. Opinions are so varied.

Budget is not limited, but I want to be smart about this. I'm not looking to throw away money. Bling is not important to me either. This is not intended to be a flashy showcase system. I'm also not opposed to buying used.

So to the questions:

1) Would two 2x120 rads be sufficient to cool 2 R9-290 (possibly overclocked) and the 3570K overclocked on stock volts.

2) If not, I am not opposed to using an external rad. Open to suggestions.

3) If using more than one rad, do you just put them in series with each other or is it better to run two separate loops? This requires a second pump and res or one of those dual bay res like the RP-452X2. This is obviously more money and requires more space.

4) speaking of the res, I've seen both the cylindrical ones and the bay ones. Are there any advantages to one over the other? I believe the case I have allows the removal of the lower drive bays, so I don't think space is an issue.

That's all I can think of for now. Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

A few reactions:

1. No, not enough. Personally, I wouldn't use anything less than 4x120 for that setup (or maybe 5x120), but you can probably get away with 3x120 if you're not too concerned about getting the best temps.

3. Don't bother with separate loops.

4. More a matter of preference than anything else, but I do find the bay setup a bit more difficult to work with because you've got a confined space there.

Thanks for the feedback. The larger rads won't fit in the case properly, so looks like I should be focusing on an external rad. Given this, I can really go nuts. Something like a phobya 1080 with 4x180 should be quiet and quite capable, I would think. Overkill?

With a stand, I could even mount the res and pump and just have the tubing going into the back of the case.

You could most likely get away with a thicker 60mm thick 240 radiator, though you would most likely run into space limitations with that case. I've built in the CM690II a couple of times, the space it gives for the rad thickness is more generous than your standard case. You may be able to mount a 45mm 240 rad + a 60mm 120 rad and essentially get the performance between a 360 and 480 30mm rad.

Thanks for the feedback. The larger rads won't fit in the case properly, so looks like I should be focusing on an external rad. Given this, I can really go nuts. Something like a phobya 1080 with 4x180 should be quiet and quite capable, I would think. Overkill?

With a stand, I could even mount the res and pump and just have the tubing going into the back of the case.

Nothing wrong with overkill. Always better to have rad headroom, plus with more rad, you should be able to run quieter fans.

1. two 240 (except monster maybe) are not enough
2. external radiator option is great option IMO. Cold air advantage plus less space limitations.
3. In some cases two loops can be excellent but mostly way to costly and complicated especially while not big of a advantage in most of the loops.
4. Well again it is a space limitation question. Pure performance wise Long tube reservoirs integrated good are best solution. Only in some cases they are hard to implement. For many builds I have used bay reservoirs for DCC pumps just because it was best option for that situation. Though if space allows it tube res is a king. You notice that first time whle filling up the loop. Loop is faster to fill. Bubbles go out of system faster (if configured proper). In my main rig I use EK X3 400mm (huge thing) and my pumps empty it in matter of second. Like it holds more then 1/3 of a liquid in my system and it gets empty in second.
Bay reservoir works good enough once system is filled and bubbles are out.

Regarding number 3. and in one way regarding number 1. question there is a option. If you would go parallel loops then one good 240mm would keep CPU at OK-ish temps. Second loop (GPU loop) would then have to use single 240mm to cool like 500watts of heat. Most of the people would say that is not enough. Though it would work. Asus Ares II (two 7970 on single card http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/ARES26GD5/ ) is cooled with something like Corsair H80. Only do not expect like 40 to 50 degree Celsius GPU temps at full load (like in high end loop) but expect little better temperatures then air cooled. Think of 80+ degree Celssius if top radiator is used and if good ventilated. Phobya G-changer would do a good job. Now I really really do not advise you to go dual loops and two 240mm radiators. It is complicated and expensive solution considering performance. Price difference between small and big radiators is not that big. Second pump and reservoir cost more then difference between radiators. If external solution is your choice (choice that I would prefer in your situation) go with biggest radiator possible (Like Alphacool Monster 480) or even two of them. So tube reservoir, some version of Laing D5, 3 waterblocks and big radiator in single loop is most effective solution.

At this moment I use Monster 480 and Monster 240 to cool CPU plus two GPU. BTW it is not overkill at all.

Thanks for the responses.

I had some Amazon credits to burn, so thus far I have purchased:

Phobya 1080, full copper version.
Koolance PMP-450 (D5 pump)
XSPC raystorm CPU block
silver coil
PrimoChill PrimoFlex 1/2" ID tubing.

Still need to get two GPU blocks, A reservoir, and fittings/barbs.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to buy a replacement top for the pump that can be fitted with a reservoir directly or just a tube reservoir and the extra fittings.

I also think it might be a good idea to use some kind of no spill disconnects on the back of the chassis so the Phobya can be disconnected as needed for transport/cleaning.

Anyone have any suggestions on the fittings/barbs and the reservoir and possible top?

Am I overlooking something?

Back