Looking for GPU upgrade for older PC

TheRobin

n00b
I am looking for a new video card to play upcoming Doom and Mirror's Edge games. I wanted to upgrade the entire PC but I quit my job recently so I cannot afford that. I am looking to make due with a video card upgrade only.

Here is my current system. PSU is Enermax Modu 87+ 500W.
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz 47 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.00GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 663MHz (7-7-7-21)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X58A-UD3R (Socket 1366) 48 °C
Graphics
VG248 (1920x1080@120Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (ATI) 59 °C
Storage
238GB OCZ-VERTEX4 ATA Device (SSD)
3726GB Western Digital WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 ATA Device (SATA) 32 °C

I am considering GTX 970 or R9 390 as they are in my budget range. I haven't followed computer hardware in a long time but from a quick peak at reviews, the GTX 970 uses less power and is therefore my better option since I do not want to have to potentially upgrade the PSU.

Here are some options I am looking at:
Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB GDDR5 $439CAD
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 $445CAD
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 Superclocked $419CAD
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 $449CAD

I am leaning towards EVGA FTW. Is there anything else I should consider?

Wait another 60 days or so.
Current top end video card prices are about to drop.

With the 1070 coming @$380, I can't imagine GTX 970/980 being able to hold their value very well.

Im with Spartacus on this one.

I think the 970/980 prices will bottom out very soon.....I'm not happy about it since I have a pair of 980's , but that's life

Also, if you dont mind buying used, there are some good deals out there right now.

Since this is for an older rig you could reduce the budget and get a bigger PSU for later... but no income should you not be prioritized a bit different. Like getting a new job then upgrading PC one piece at a time starting with PSU then video then mobo cpu and ram...

Since this is for an older rig you could reduce the budget and get a bigger PSU for later... but no income should you not be prioritized a bit different. Like getting a new job then upgrading PC one piece at a time starting with PSU then video then mobo cpu and ram...
And why would you need a bigger PSU? If you have a modular PSU that has a 6+2 or 8-pin feed, you're fine. (You see the modular PSU in my sig - how many modular PSUs are sold day-in and day-out with similar specs? It can drive either a GTX1070 or GTX1080 without issues; why would you buy a PSU with power needs greater than either one? That is why I'm not looking at used GTX980, let alone used TITAN or TITAN X - saving on the GPU only to spend on a replacement PSU and the electric bill is rather pointless, at least to me.)

One reason I like the CX-600M is that it's a rare modular PSU that has range in terms of capability (from the most modern EPS to AT (not merely ATX), the darn thing works) - to put it plainly, few PSUs - modular or not - have that much range-gate. (Historically, that was equally true - maybe some models in PC Power and Cooling's (now FirePower) old TurboCool and Silencer lines - but not that many of either - and you paid through the nose.) With Windows 10, you have an OS with a rather significant range-gate in terms of hardware, so why put up with forced obsolescence? AGP you may have to throw out - same with ATAPI (however, there are adapters that can push that into the future as well). If you have a 400W or less PSU in your rig now, think in terms of a modular 600W PSU (especially if your rig in question is ATX or older) and preserve your options - and you can, in fact, do it now - and not pay a mint.)

I am looking for a new video card to play upcoming Doom and Mirror's Edge games. I wanted to upgrade the entire PC but I quit my job recently so I cannot afford that. I am looking to make due with a video card upgrade only.

Here is my current system. PSU is Enermax Modu 87+ 500W.

I am considering GTX 970 or R9 390 as they are in my budget range. I haven't followed computer hardware in a long time but from a quick peak at reviews, the GTX 970 uses less power and is therefore my better option since I do not want to have to potentially upgrade the PSU.

Here are some options I am looking at:
Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB GDDR5 $439CAD
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 $445CAD
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 Superclocked $419CAD
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 $449CAD

I am leaning towards EVGA FTW. Is there anything else I should consider?

Buy a used one off Ebay or a Refurb off of EVGA's website (if they ship to Canada)
EVGA - Products - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+ - 04G-P4-3975-RX

No reason to pay more than 300 for a 970. Also, if you can I would wait.

And why would you need a bigger PSU? If you have a modular PSU that has a 6+2 or 8-pin feed, you're fine. (You see the modular PSU in my sig - how many modular PSUs are sold day-in and day-out with similar specs? It can drive either a GTX1070 or GTX1080 without issues; why would you buy a PSU with power needs greater than either one? That is why I'm not looking at used GTX980, let alone used TITAN or TITAN X - saving on the GPU only to spend on a replacement PSU and the electric bill is rather pointless, at least to me.)

One reason I like the CX-600M is that it's a rare modular PSU that has range in terms of capability (from the most modern EPS to AT (not merely ATX), the darn thing works) - to put it plainly, few PSUs - modular or not - have that much range-gate. (Historically, that was equally true - maybe some models in PC Power and Cooling's (now FirePower) old TurboCool and Silencer lines - but not that many of either - and you paid through the nose.) With Windows 10, you have an OS with a rather significant range-gate in terms of hardware, so why put up with forced obsolescence? AGP you may have to throw out - same with ATAPI (however, there are adapters that can push that into the future as well). If you have a 400W or less PSU in your rig now, think in terms of a modular 600W PSU (especially if your rig in question is ATX or older) and preserve your options - and you can, in fact, do it now - and not pay a mint.)
Let me see if I can explain in a way that is clear enough.
Psu have a set lifespan the oil filled capacitors only work for so many years generally 10 should be expected many last longer. Then there is efficiency most psu operate at about 80 efficiency given a set load of about half rated capacity the problem is this is complicated and some psu have lower efficiency when not loaded to the right level some only have high efficiency when loaded well below capacity.

I am not saying you needed to get a 1600w psu but perhaps a newer one with better efficiency or higher capacity if you think you would have issues running a card...

I like corsair's psu I have 3 hx 520w modular and 1 750w.

Ooo just looked up your psu it is really nice caps should last many many years and it maintains efficiency in the 80% from 20% load to 100% it peaks at 50% load like I already stated. It should have no issues with any single gpu setup.

Last edited:
I don't know about your mobo but most of us socket 1366 guys run 32nm 6 core Xeons (95w) now as they really offer power saving and more performance as I run mine at 4.1Gz (24/7) and it can play any current game. if your board supports them then you could get one for about $70 to 100 as my mobo is going on 7 years old.

Also wait for AMD's new card ..

I don't know about your mobo but most of us socket 1366 guys run 32nm 6 core Xeons (95w) now as they really offer power saving and more performance as I run mine at 4.1Gz (24/7) and it can play any current game. if your board supports them then you could get one for about $70 to 100 as my mobo is going on 7 years old.

Also wait for AMD's new card ..

His board can definitely support them. I have the same board, running a X5650 at 4.4 GHz, rock solid.

Seriously doubt the 1070 will be on par with a 980Ti at high resolutions, considering the 980Ti can still /almost/ keep up with a 1080 and in some cases surpass it at 4K. That said, I imagine the OP is running 1080P or 1440P, in which case yes, the 1070 is probably (hopefully) faster. If it isn't... Nvidia priced it poorly.

I am using one of the EVGA B-stock GTX 970 right now in my x58 system (EVGA Classified with i7-950 and 12 GB RAM). Looked new and runs great. I have no issues with games, but I am most definitely not pushing it with BL Pre-sequel and D3. The 970's are starting to see a lot of mail in rebates now. Fry's had one for $240 last week I think but the MIR was $35.

Back