Looking For An Intel Board That Supports 2x PCIE3 At 16x And Gen 8

lDreaml

Weaksauce
I've been doing some research on my own but I feel so out of the game that I'm shamefully making this thread to seek the guidince of those who know todays market on mobos and cpus. I've got my eye on this heftily priced supposed big boy:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...LXKRPQB9W2rgOs7d9LB9amtAYsh4AqKRoC1twQAvD_BwE

Problem is I can't figure which mobo to go with. From the research I've put in I've narrowed down a specific board.. Let me know what you guys think:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-VigLink2

Any, and I mean any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The lighting stuff is nifty. I'm coming from a

P6X58D Premium

In bolded lettering to make your stomachs turn as it's pretty damn old.

Just put in a new ssd only to realize the sata 3 slots on this board are famous for being faulty. Felt great. I'm looking to swap up to optane so the board should also have that capability.

I know posts like these are damn annoying and I apologize. Been around on this site for what seems like over a decade (lost my old account) and have always found the info provided here top notch. So happy this site is still around, but yeah I digress.

Thanks for all if any help provided, it's greatly appreciated.

Edit: What do you guys think about quad channel support for memory vs dual? I'm considering going with 32gbs.

Last edited:
That Maximus is a Gen6/Gen7-only board. No board that supports the 8700K will have two real x16 slots, as the 8700K is a mobile-derived part with only 16 lanes on its PCIe controller. To get 32+ lanes on a modern processor, you are looking at a Core i9 or greater (40 lanes) paired with an X299 board, or any AMD Ryzen Threadripper processor.
Do you actually need 2 x16 slots for a specific application, or are you just concerned that x8/x8 will bottleneck your GPUs? Unless you are running dual 1080Ti's it won't be an issue (anything slower than dual 1080's is silly, since they can be replaced with a single card of the same speed, and even dual 1080's is kind of questionable since a single 1080Ti will be smoother).

Didn't realize anyone replied to this. I'm thinking of going with the: Asus Rog Maxiums X Formula with the Intel Core i7-8700k. Gonna take me a while to get them but I figure they're a good bet for longevity.

Back