Looking for a Solid 16GB Kit at 2133 1.5V

Rabid Sloth

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to change out my Ripjaws for a lower voltage kit. I have a 4x4GB kit rated at 1.5V, but I can't get them 24/7 F@H stable at below 1.6V. I understand the Samsungs are great overclockers, but for rock solid stability I'd prefer to the get a kit designed to do it.

Should I hold out for more companies to go to the 30nm die? I also read that there should be some new Corsair Platinums coming out shortly that people are waiting for. Can anyone shed some light on them?

Alternatively, am I mistaken that 1.6V is too high for a 2600k's IMC (24/7 folding)? All the warnings to not go above 1.5V seem to be pretty old.

Question is:

Why bother? It has absolutely negligible gains. I'm not sure about F@H, but in virtually every other common workload, CPU throughput is the bottleneck, not RAM speed.

if you want good ram get the samsung ram

but there is really no point what you have already is really good

Question is:

Why bother? It has absolutely negligible gains. I'm not sure about F@H, but in virtually every other common workload, CPU throughput is the bottleneck, not RAM speed.

The sole reason would be F@H. Jumping from 1600 to 2133 gained me around 15% which is far from negligible.

if you want good ram get the samsung ram

but there is really no point what you have already is really good

I have a 2x4GB set of the Samsung and although it will clock to the moon, I lost the OC lottery and it takes voltage above 1.5V to clear 1866.

I also agree with the Corsair suggestion. They come with a nice cooler, and if you have water-cooling in your folding rig, you can get a block from EK to cool them.

Also, I was under the impression that the Ripjaws were supposed to work at 1.5V. Have you overclocked them any?

I also agree with the Corsair suggestion. They come with a nice cooler, and if you have water-cooling in your folding rig, you can get a block from EK to cool them.

Also, I was under the impression that the Ripjaws were supposed to work at 1.5V. Have you overclocked them any?

Yeah they are listed at 1.5V, but I can't get them remotely stable there. I'm just running them at the 'stock' xmp profile of 2133. If you check out their forums they are always recommending people to just add voltage to get them stable. I also haven't seen a reference yet, but I have read that most of the G Skill ram is actually using RAM modules (IC's) well above what they are rated at if you pull off the heat spreader.

Last edited:
I have a 2x4GB set of the Samsung and although it will clock to the moon, I lost the OC lottery and it takes voltage above 1.5V to clear 1866.

Must have been bad sticks. I have mine running at 1866 with just 1.35v

Yeah they are listed at 1.5V, but I can't get them remotely stable there. I'm just running them at the 'stock' xmp profile of 2133. If you check out their forums they are always recommending people to just add voltage to get them stable. I also haven't seen a reference yet, but I have read that most of the G Skill ram is actually using RAM modules (IC's) well above what they are rated at if you pull off the heat spreader.

That's really what all manufacturers do, and by extension, overclocked GPUs are the same way. They bin the chips so that whichever ones can hit the target frequency, they sell as their high-end ones. The ones that can't, they sell it as lower-clocking ones.

Just a quick update. I went back and forth for a while on the Corsair Domintors, but then they put out a set of Dominator Platinum 2133's at 1.5v and I couldn't pass it up. Unlike the G.Skills they booted first time in their XMP profile and actually have better timings of 9 vs the Ripjaws 11. I'll see if the tightened timings do anything for F@H, but mostly I'm just happy to have cool to the touch sticks that aren't operating above what my processor is happy with. Oh and they look great in my case as well.

dsc01769rz.jpg

dsc01766wk.jpg

Back