Looking for a NVMe adapter that will accommodate a thick M2 NVME drive

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Thick like this. Yea, i know I can remove the heatsinks but i'd rather not. TIA

P1010537sm.JPG

P1010538sm.JPG

Do those even get hot when it's being used? Those thermal pillows are huge! Looks like at least 1mm thick.

That said...there are a few candidates on amazon, if you trust your nvme drive to be waving about in the wind: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nvme+dock

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Gen 4 and 5 NVME actually can get a bit toasty when continuously written to for more than an hour. I have a usb c adapted 2TB drive I clone my system to as a backup before any major changes to the system and that thing generates more heat than I imagined possible. I added a ghetto heat sink after the first time so it wouldn't catch fire.

Oh, I don't doubt the drive gets hot. I wanted to know if the sink was actually getting any heat through all that padding. I mean, the drive isn't even centered, looks like it's pulling away from the pad on one side. Edit: sorry, I'm a bit ocd.

I'd prefer to use the drive internally so a stand up dock won't work. Guess I'll have to remove the heatsink. :(

I think i don´t get something here.

Please help me out guys:

In this conext what does "thick" mean?

A double sided SSD instead of a single sided one?

Because there are hundreds of enclosures for both.

And 95% are only good for 30-90 minutes of constant use.

That Asus Tuff one is (too expensive) 10Gbs and the heaviest chunk of metall you will get to dump heat into.
That one you can´t burn your hand with even after filling it from 0 to 100% in one go.

Last edited:

Please help me out guys:

Looks like about 1/4" to 1/2", maybe 5/8". Unless you remove the sink, but he would like to keep it on.

Please help me out guys:

And 95% are only good for 30-90 minutes of constant use.

That Asus Tuff one is (too expensive) 10Gbs and the heaviest chunk of metall you will get to dump heat into.
That one you can´t burn your hand with even after filling it from 0 to 100% in one go.

Look at the pics I posted above. They show what I mean by thick.

Back