Looking for a more comfortable mouse

DefaultMeh

n00b
Right now my right ring and pinky are killing me after a long gaming session and work. (work from home). Right now I use a Logitech G5 and at first it's ok, but after a hour or so my ring/pinky start cramping up. My friend has this one COOLER MASTER CM Storm Spawn and it seemed ok but I wasn't able to borrow it for a while. Can anyone recommend a mouse that would help with this?

Yeah, it's a symptom of the pinky groove on the logitechs, some people it doesn't effect/claim to like it, others like you or I are not so lucky. All I can really recommend is staying away from those Logitech mice.

Something that might be worth trying would be mice with a different support for those fingers ie SteelSeries Ikari or Razer Naga Epic on the largest grip, though they are kind of pricy.

Alternatively you can switch to a more conventionally shaped mouse like the one you linked at which point your grip is likely to be very much like it is on the logitech, but without the pinky groove causing the pinky to dive too far inwards/into an unnatural slot.

Finally, you may want to see if you can get your hand on a random generic mouse such as Dell 3 Button (you should be able to find these easy for under 10 with the part number XN967, or just find something similar in a basement or such, just make sure it isn't a ball, I just like prime eligible myself) as they tend to satisfy more hands than the special ergonomics the big names go for and it will give you a chance to see if you like holding it claw grip over palm grip. If you find you're fine with claw grip then there are more options to look at...

EDIT: Did not realize what the other side of the spawn is like. My impression from looking at is it still doesn't give you a place for your pinky, so it would kind of be trying fate to get it. I'd see if you could get more time with it first if you have the access.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
thaty 100$ for the steel or razer, things must be hell of comfy and worth the money for sure you dont want your wrist hurting from long gaming for not having the right support

Yeah, it's a symptom of the pinky groove on the logitechs, some people it doesn't effect/claim to like it, others like you or I are not so lucky. All I can really recommend is staying away from those Logitech mice.

Nah, doesn't bother me. I use the Logitech Performance MX and G500 mice. I don't put my pinky in the "pinky grove". Only my index and middle finger (and the thumb) rests on the mice. The ring finger and pinky are basically resting on the table / mouse pad because the mice are not big enough for me to even rest my ring finger on the them.

@ DefaultMeh The Mionix Naos is with ring/pinky finger rest and it's for fairly large hands. The sensor from it is an Avago 9500 (same as those in the G9x, Xai, G500, Kone+, etc.). It's very comfortable for palm grippers (you're coming from an G5 you know'), the CM Spawn has an "awkward" claw grip - it takes some time to get used to that syle... ;)

I tried several Logitech Mice (G9, G500) and they never felt comfortable to hold due to the ring / pinky issue you're having. I swapped to the CM storm and immediately felt relief and more in control. After a couple weeks I realized it's actually better for me to fingertip grip the Storm than claw it (if you go by the strict definition of the back of your hand touching the mouse). I do have rather large hands though (8 inch from wrist to tip of middle finger). I alternate between using finger for RTS / Twitch shooting and claw for precise sniping - the mouse feels comfortable for both.

There definitely are defined positions for each of your fingers on the spawn - thumb and pink touch the rubberized sides, ring is on the groove to the right and left/right buttons are index/middle.

The mionix looks like it would be pretty comfortable too from the pictures. What kind of surface finish does it have though? I don't think it's glossy but it's worth checking ( I can't use mice with gloss finishes)

Last edited:
I'd like to now note I picked up a spawn due to the $25 sale on newegg, and even with laying my fingers flat on it, I find it's among the more comfortable of mice held that way, despite them selling themselves as just a claw grip mouse and it certainly is NOT designed in the way that logitech is which causes that ring and pinky finger pain. If comfort is all you seek I think the current price is a good time to try.

I've been looking into ambidextrous mice since I've always found them more ergonomic. Might have to give one of the zowie mice a try.

I'd like to now note I picked up a spawn due to the $25 sale on newegg, and even with laying my fingers flat on it, I find it's among the more comfortable of mice held that way, despite them selling themselves as just a claw grip mouse and it certainly is NOT designed in the way that logitech is which causes that ring and pinky finger pain. If comfort is all you seek I think the current price is a good time to try.

My findings as well, I use more of a hybrid claw/palm grip and find the mouse extremely comfortable. No pinky drag and wrist position feels very natural. For those palm grips out there don't let the Spawn's "claw-grip" label put you off.

Right now my right ring and pinky are killing me after a long gaming session and work. (work from home). Right now I use a Logitech G5 and at first it's ok, but after a hour or so my ring/pinky start cramping up. My friend has this one COOLER MASTER CM Storm Spawn and it seemed ok but I wasn't able to borrow it for a while. Can anyone recommend a mouse that would help with this?

It's preference really. Do you have big hands? Personally I like they G9X with the extra wide grip you can purchase after market at logitech. I also play using the claw style technique and not palm. G700, previous generation was G7, has a wonderful Plam style feel if you like that. So it all depends on you, if you can test them out at a local store I would suggest that before you purchase them so you can get an idea of comfort.

Back