Looking for a good mobo for my A64 3000+...

pennyz

n00b
The mobo for my system is my last problem, I havint got a clue which one to get. THe ram i'm getting is CMX3200 512MB LOW LATENCY DDR 400MHZ 184PIN CAS2-2-2-6 so i'm looking for a decent Ocing mobo. I was hopeing to get one for around $150 US($200 Canadian). Any suggestions?

Also do the A64 mobos have usb 2.0 & firewire ports?? :(
Thx

:) :

Come on people. Whats a good A64 mobo that is a decent ocer for $150US?

Which mobo do you suggest?

Try the mainboard forum but I would suggest a Giga K8 based mobo. Been hearin good things about those.

the ASUS K8V deluxe has a firewire and either 4 or 6 usb 2.0 ports. I see six ports on mine but i don't know how many of them are 2.0 problably all. and it comes with a firewire connector on the mobo. I hear people getting their 3000+ up to 2.2 ghz which is pretty good oc for a64.

I go back and forth between the MSI and the Asus. I'm staying away from the nforce chipset as it's not the best for gaming. The Asus, I think, is a good one if you use onboard sound. I like the MSI's auto OC function though. Interesting to read different reviews at different places. Hardocp also reviews these boards and say the Asus doesn't OC well, but in the previoius post you hear otherwise. I've been researching this for a month and still don't have a solid answer.

One of the things you need to ask too is what you'll be doing. Graphics, gaming, whatever.

Check out Tom's Hardware roundup

http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20031201/index.html

Originally posted by HardAMD
the ASUS K8V deluxe has a firewire and either 4 or 6 usb 2.0 ports. I see six ports on mine but i don't know how many of them are 2.0 problably all. and it comes with a firewire connector on the mobo.

It has a total of 8 USB 2.0 and two firewire. 4 USBs in back and two headers on the MB for front panel ports and/flash readers. It's a well featured board.

Overclocking with air on these A64s right now is marginal in most cases. Part of the problem is none of the current MBs are providing an AGP/PCI speed lock. So when the FSB is increased so does the AGP/PCI clock. Depending on the video card and if your using the onboard SATA controller you may not be able to get very far. You'll be doing pretty good to get a truely stable O/C 200mhz over core speed. None the less the CPU and platform is fast even at default speed.
The MSI board is also spoken well of generally.

Originally posted by freeloader1969
Shuttle AN50-R...especially if you plan to overclock.

I you plan to overclock, wait for a Nforce3 250 or SIS755 board.

The current offerings place your data and peripherals at risk with out of spec AGP/PCI.

At least that's my advise.

NF3 250 should be about a month.

There is a SIS755 board, but it's ECS. I don't recommend that, even if you don't overclock.

Asrock, Jetway & Foxconn are releasing SIS755 chipset boards....but I'm not sure I'd trust any of those either. :mad:

If your not overclocking, then I like the freeloader's suggestion.

The Shuttle AN50-R locks the agp bus already. Doesn't lock the PCI, but does indeed lock the AGP bus. So owners of ATI cards should seriously consider this board. I can't wait for the SIS chipset reviews. I don't care much for "previews" as we've seen. As we all know, what is in a preview and what acutally ships is two entirely different things.

Originally posted by freeloader1969
The Shuttle AN50-R locks the agp bus already. Doesn't lock the PCI, but does indeed lock the AGP bus. So owners of ATI cards should seriously consider this board. I can't wait for the SIS chipset reviews. I don't care much for "previews" as we've seen. As we all know, what is in a preview and what acutally ships is two entirely different things.

I think the potential is there for the SIS chipset...I just don't see Jetway, Foxconn or As(s)rock coming around with enthusiasts boards. :mad:

The only A64 mobo on sell in on the 3 major Canadian sites is the ASUS K8V Deluxe..

MSI K8 neo...I wouldnt go with nforce chipsets yet...not till 250. Its not that they're bad for gaming right now, thats ridiculous...just that the 250 is right around the corner if you can wait.

Is the Nforce3 250 going to have anything the VIA does not already have? Or are they just fixing the 150's shortcomings?

NForce3 250:

4 Channel SATA, supporting Raid 0/1/0+1
7.1 Onboard sound
1Ghz HyperTransport
"Extreme Overclocking Potentional"
(Fixed buses...)

I have a dicated sound card(hurcles Folassio(sp?) III 7.1) so sound support isit much of a issue for me.

Back