Looking for a good Hard drive scanner

Geshtar

Limp Gawd
Recently one of my Hard Drives died, and I've gotten a replacement for it, but before I start using it, I want to run a thorough scan on it to make sure it has no problems. Unforuntately the drive did not come with any diagnostic software and the scan disk in windows is crummy(it could not detect the bad sectors with my old HD even when it was making horrible sounds). So if anyone know what some good scanning software is, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Which HD did you buy? Most manufacturers provide downloadable utilities.

It was a maxtor, and it came with software that will let me zero the whole drive which I could do in a pinch, but I was hoping for a non-destructive deep analysis of the drive, kinda like the drive fitness tools for ibm/hitachi drives do. I was pretty surprised that the included software didn;t have this capability. I'll check their website again, but I don't think I saw anything when I was there looking for the 137GB+ patch.

bleh, I found it on their site. stupid marketing departments gone rampant. powermax is a really bad name for read/write diagnositc tools in my book. Also, the current version no longer supports reading from drives hooked up to onboard raid controllers...which is exactly what mine is hooked up to..... :-/.....guess it is time to reopen the case and play musical IDE cables.

glad you found it

BTW zeroing a HDD isnt destructive unless its overwriting data you want

Back