Looking for a good CPU cooler.

mattym

Weaksauce
Hey all, i recently browsed newegg and a few other sites looking for a good fan for my PC build. I came out with more questions than answers.

I have a Intel C2D E8400 on stock cooling right now. Im looking to upgrade as the stock cooler is a piece of crap.

I was looking into CoolerMasters new V6/V6GT and found out that is in fact to tall for my case. I was also looking into the self contained liquid cooling systems, however most of them require a place to mount a 120mm fan, which my case doesnt have.

Im looking for any recommendations that you may have. Keeping in mind that my case is a circa 2002 Alienware case that i have cut a side window into. So i dont want a heatsink and fan that look like absolute crap as im going to be looking at it all the time. It needs to fit a LGA 775 and i cannot have blue LED's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, hopefully a unit that you have had good results with.

Go get yourself a Coolermaster Hyper212+ for about $25-28. That'll do all your cooling... for not a lot of money. In terms of cooling efficiency per dollar, it can't be beat...and it looks good too.

If it's not too tall for your case, this cooler is about as good as it gets......consistantly is a winner hands down: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9..._-_Socket_AM2AM377513661156.html?tl=g40c14s52

If you want something cheaper that works, reliable, pretty good cooling, I'd look at this cooler. I have these on nearly all my computers, they are all overclocked and the temperatures and very stable.....you can reach moderately high OC with this guy......it's a new revision...I have one and I liked the new mounting system ArcticCooling uses.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...ets_13661156775AM3AM2AM2939.html?tl=g40c14s52

Go get yourself a Coolermaster Hyper212+ for about $25-28. That'll do all your cooling... for not a lot of money. In terms of cooling efficiency per dollar, it can't be beat...and it looks good too.

i 2nd this, although i bought mine for $29 at central computer (they dont price match). I first discovered it in maximum pc magazine, it got a 10 raiting. looked it up on newegg, and they actually raised the price of the damn thing because it was such an insane deal!

you can also add 2 120mm case fans on the the radiator for a push>pull effect and get even better cooling. still cheaper then those $50+ cpu coolers.

Thanks for the feedback, i was looking at the product page for the Coolermaster on newegg, is the bottom really finished like that? With the heatpipes interlaced with the block?
This just seems unusual to me, and how would you recommend i apply thermal? Do i want to do the usual C2D method with one line down the middle or do it in a way that makes sure all the heatpipes get some? Also does is come with retention clips for a second fan?

should come with extra clips.

if I remember right you're supposed to pack the gaps in the contact area first. after that I think it was best to use the double-line method, but instead of applying to the chip, apply it to the block between the pipes.

Just use some good acetone to remove any fingerprints from your processor and fan base first.You can get a rather inexpensive bottle from any drug store beauty isle...then apply a bead of good thermal compound to the base of the fan and use a clean bit of un-touched clear wrap over your finger to spread it ever so lightly in a circular fashion. Remove what's left of the paste afterwards. That step just fill in any micro-craters in the fan base.Remember don't use your hands to touch the base after cleaning. You want to avoid body oils contaminating the surfaces. I then apply an extremely thin, skim coat to the processor, using a clean bit of plastic....(usually cut from one of those memory packages). The Hyper212+ comes with everything...including backplate and additional fan retainers. It has the ability to be installed on both AMD and Intel processors.

Yeah ive done a lot of work with this before, ive just never seen a heatsink with a bottom like this one, im used to a flat polished bottom

Back