looking for a gaming laptop

AcidBurn26

n00b
I am looking for a gaming laptop. I have been looking around and all the ones I find that have the best video cards have 17 inch screens. I am looking for one that has the 15.4 inch screen with 256mb video card. The only one I found like that is the Dell XPS and I am not to fond of the newer dells. Anyody know of any others?

I have looked at both and I am looking at the alienware Area-51m 5500 unforunately it only comes with a 128 mb video card and the voodoo pc is the same and it is a bit more money than I am will to spend.

You will have better luck if you're willing to compromise for a 128mb graphics card. I'm writing this from my PowerPro M5:6 and I've had no trouble playing HL2, Far Cry, or most other modern games. I experience some slowdowns in Doom3, but it's still playable at respectable settings, esp. for a laptop.

If you MUST have a 256mb card, you'll need to look elsewhere, but the M5:6 (and other Compal CL56 clones) is a great rig. It's significantly lighter than the XPS and related laptops, and it runs cool enough that I can actually use it on my LAP. Not to mention battery life.

It's about as much performance as I think is reasonable to pay for in a laptop. IMHO, Pentium 4s and 256mb graphics cards are really better suited for desktops.

My price limit is $2500. I am willing to go with 128mb graphic cards. I wanted to see if there were any laptops I had missed. Weight is not a issue with me since my inspiron 8100 weighs 8 or 9 lbs about as much as the xps.

Well I have a 9100 that will take the 9800 upgrade. thats like 350 right so for 1500 you could have a P4 3ghz 9100 with the 9800 card in it. I would say 1000 or so out the door to you if your interested. Almost new, just got it.

Umm, emachines/gateway has the popular m68XX series, some of the lesser know to public like Compal and others have nice A64 systems take a look at them... anyone else want to jump in. Stay away from the HP/Compaq one it has a nVidia 440 in it which is a big hold up for the A64. Thats my thoughts anyway when the m68XX series has the ATI 9600 in it

I looked at hp and they had the a64 but why they hell would they saddle that cpu with that crappy video card.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=NB-BA20408

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=NB-BA20074

I haven't decided which one I'm going to get, yet. The first one is sold by ibuypower.com for a hundred or so more bucks than you can get it on Mwave's site. For a 100.00 premium, you can get a glossy color finish to the thing, if you're into that sort of thing.

Also:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product.cfm?ProductType=4750

And for a luggable, as opposed to a true laptop:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product.cfm?ProductType=9860

BB

its not uber but it is decent...

Got a Dell 8600 with a 9600 pro turbo for around $1300 that was a 1.6 Pentium M and 512 Ram and DVD DL + - writer and some other goodies. Does a pretty good job for most stuff. If wait for a deal you probablly can get one for under a grand

AcidBurn26 said:
Na I am not big on the 17 in monitorr latops

but have you tried it before?? thats the question. i love gaming on the 17" wide, and I dont think that I can ever go back. :D

No but it is the overall size of them I don't like. I saw some a compusa they are just too big. I have a inspiron 8100 and it is a good size. I am really looking at the dell xps right now and that seems to be the front runner right now with the alienware area 51m 5500

Gawd, the XPS is HEAVY. Plus they both use non-mobile CPUs. I guess portability and battery isn't really a concern? You're just looking for a luggable gaming platform?

Any of the GeForce Go 6800 equipped notebooks will handily outperform both of those.

I find your dislike of the size of the 17" screen luggables curious in the context of the heft and thickness of the two machines you're leaning towards. Too bad, 'cause you're eliminating some killer notebooks that will outperform both your current top choices by that decision.

*shrug* its your money.

BB

AcidBurn26 said:
No but it is the overall size of them I don't like. I saw some a compusa they are just too big. I have a inspiron 8100 and it is a good size. I am really looking at the dell xps right now and that seems to be the front runner right now with the alienware area 51m 5500

overall size is a problem and you want to get a XPS?!?! the weight of the zd7000 and the XPS is pretty much the same, but the thickness of the XPS is 2 inchs, while the zd7000 is just under 1.5 inches. but hey, the dell does have more gaming power, so ill give it that.

the alienware is nice but very expensive. my laptop can put out just as much performance. but trust me, once you get a 17inch, you cant go back to anything else. ive spoiled myself because i also have a dual monitor setup to go w/ the lappy. lots and lots of desk space.

chaikovski2002 said:
I ordered this one for christamas from ibuypower

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=134

:cool:

I'm thinking about getting that laptop as well, but their cooling solution on the ATI chip scares me. It only has 4 rubber spacers on the chip, separating it from another piece of metal. As a result the clock rate settings on the GPU are low 398/216, near the low end of the 9700 spectrum. If you plan to overclock the GPU at all you will most likely be out of luck, unless you modify the stock cooling solutions and void the warranty.

For more info: http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=51663&page=3&pp=15

As for the original post, you may want to wait a month or two if possible before you make your decision. There should be new tech out from both AMD and Intel including Intel's new Sonoma/Aliviso package which adds 533 FSB, PCI-E and some other fun stuff to the Centrino platform.

When it comes to weight I carried easily 50lbs of books in school and that did not bother me but when somebody says 10lbs is heavy they need to go to the gym. Thank guys you gave me alot of good advice.

I have ordered the Dell XPS.
3.4ghz non-EE with xp pro
512mb ram
256 radeon 9800
80 gig hd
internal wireless card
the skulls clip on

WTF?!
Didn't look at the date on the thread. My bad. What was the reason for digging this crap up manle??
Thanks for the heads up lizzard

dont even consider dell. total trash.

call donald up at powernotebooks.com. he has a masterful understanding of laptops, especially gaming needs. he consulted with me, and even helped me talk me out of expensive parts i intended to buy, and into cheaper more efficient ones. i have looked, and they do have a 15" with a 256mb card.

-robert

Back