Looking for a 16 Port RAID Card with RAID6, Need help!

Vicey

Weaksauce
I have currently a server with 14x2TB SATA drives in two separate RAID5 arrays. 7 drives each. The drives I'm using are Samsung F4's.

What I'd like to do is consolidate both arrays in to one larger RAID6 array. Currently I'm using two 8 port Highpoint 2320 cards which are excellent in performance but completely lack RAID6. I wouldn't feel comfortable using 14 drives in a RAID5 array even though all my data is backed up. I think RAID6 is the safer option. I have no plans to increase the amount of drives in use, 14 is the maximum within the array.

So what I'm looking for is basically a RAID6 card that uses PCIe with 16 ports. Performance wise I'd like it to be capable of around 300Mb/ps read and 200Mb/ps write (sustained) but this isn't a hard number anything over 100Mb/ps sustained is adequate for my usage.

I am also not against using an 8 Port card with some kind of Expander card as-long as there is a cost benefit vs a 16 port card.

Also I have another question. If I create a RAID5 array on a HighPoint card can I transition that array to an Adaptec or an LSI card or will the array need to be trashed and rebuilt by the new card? - I've always only used HighPoint cards but they are lacking when it comes to RAID6 and Hardware Raid often leaving out dedicated XOR processors entirely and sometimes relying on system memory.

My price range for this is quite low at £500 to £700 GBP. But don't be afraid to suggest a more expensive card if you feel that you must as I may be able to source them within my budget. I hope someone can help me as I've not really looked beyond HighPoint products for some time but my needs have outgrown their product line at this time.

oh btw the specs of the server are a Core i7 920, Gigabyte UD5 Motherboard, 6GB of Memory, 1000Watt Corsair HX1000 PSU. I know it is an odd choice to use some of these components especially the Corsair PSU but this storage server was built with spare parts and only the i7 CPU was bought especially for this server (as it was the cheapest on the market at the time which would fit the mobo we had), the rest was already sitting around the office collecting dust.

Going to suggest Areca as always. Depending on how much you could get them for in Europe, picking up a 1260 or 1261ML won't be too expensive if you look at second hand. Otherwise you could get a 1680ix-16 or 1880ix-16. All within your price range going by US prices. Not sure if getting a SAS expander will be cheaper for the number of ports you want though.

You can pick up an Adaptec RAID 31605 + BBU for around $1,000 USD which is within your budget.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/raid/sas_raid/SAS-31605/

The card itself can be found from $750-$950 and the BBU (ABM-800) from $100-$150 USD. If you go for a brand new card + BBU you hit right at the top of your budget but still within.

I'm currently using one of these in a 15 bay RAID10 (14 x 500GB + Hot Spare) all WD RE3's without issue. It also has the external SAS expander port so you can tack on more storage on an external array; with a SAS expander unit or card.

Also I have another question. If I create a RAID5 array on a HighPoint card can I transition that array to an Adaptec or an LSI card or will the array need to be trashed and rebuilt by the new card?

You cannot migrate RAID arrays between different makes of RAID cards. You will need to double- or triple-check your backup, and then wipe the data from your current drives when you create the new RAID 6, and then restore from your backup. Ideally, you should first make a second backup if you can, since otherwise you will have no backup while you are initializing the new array and copying your data over.

You will also want to check the HCL (hardware compatibility list) or customer testimonials to see if your new card is compatible with your HDDs. It would be a huge waste of time to erase your old arrays and then find that your new card is incompatible with your HDDs.

Going to suggest Areca as always. Depending on how much you could get them for in Europe, picking up a 1260 or 1261ML won't be too expensive if you look at second hand. Otherwise you could get a 1680ix-16 or 1880ix-16. All within your price range going by US prices. Not sure if getting a SAS expander will be cheaper for the number of ports you want though.

Out of the two cards you suggested which one is better?

Both cards I can get for £730-£750 so there's only a £20 difference between the two.

You cannot migrate RAID arrays between different makes of RAID cards. You will need to double- or triple-check your backup, and then wipe the data from your current drives when you create the new RAID 6, and then restore from your backup. Ideally, you should first make a second backup if you can, since otherwise you will have no backup while you are initializing the new array and copying your data over.

You will also want to check the HCL (hardware compatibility list) or customer testimonials to see if your new card is compatible with your HDDs. It would be a huge waste of time to erase your old arrays and then find that your new card is incompatible with your HDDs.

Good to know. Also at the moment as I said in the first post I have two arrays. And the arrays are not filled with data so destruction at this point is not a burden.

If you are sitting a "bigger" chassis like a norco 20-24 bay...I would recommend going towards the expander with a decent base raid controller. My mind might be fuzzy, but I still think expansion works without trashing the array. Thus..even if you started with a 14 drive raid 6, you could expand it to 20-24.

I have a 16 bay case. SATA hotswap bays at the front. Not a Norco or anything. It's a tower case, very small.

I have a 16 bay case. SATA hotswap bays at the front. Not a Norco or anything. It's a tower case, very small.

Hey Vicey,

Sorry to barge in on your thread, but I'm from the UK too. Would you mind providing a link to that case? I was leaning towards getting the Fractal Design R3 with 8 x 3.5" bays and some 5-in-3s but yours sounds better.

Cheers :)

Out of the two cards you suggested which one is better?

Both cards I can get for £730-£750 so there's only a £20 difference between the two.

The 1880ix-16 is the newer model, so you might as well go with it. While the higher speeds won't help you much, it should rebuild the array faster when you get a drive failure, so that's always a plus. I would make sure your drives work with whatever RAID card you go with before you buy it however.

Back