Looking for ~40" 4k 60Hz monitor with freesync - any options besides wasabi?

candre23

n00b
I've been using a 40" seiki panel at home for several years, and recently convinced my boss to let me upgrade to a 43" TCL at work. Both are great for productivity, but neither is any good for gaming. I tried a wasabi panel about a year ago, but ended up returning it due to a defective backlight section. The return process was a PITA, so I'm hoping I can find a panel that won't have to be shipped all the way back to Korea if there's an issue.

I know my RX480 won't pull a steady 60Hz at 4k in most games, so I'd really like something with freesync. Bizarrely, few of the properly-sized panels support it. Do I have any options besides wasabi?

I'll offer some input, if it's the seiki 39" panel, they are worth a pretty penny due to zisworks offering modules that will run it at 4k 120hz.

Also I have just upgraded to a samsung NU8500 55" curved TV. 9.3ms absolute delay when 1080p120 or 1440p120. It has freesync to boot as well for times when the frames chug.

I don't regret my purchase at all, check rtings for their review of the set, quite good but pricey here in Australia ($1898) but probably cheaper if you're in the states.

All 2018 Samsung models support Freesync, as far as I'm aware, and they are one of the best in the television realm when it comes to input lag. And as poster above points out, some of them support lower resolutions with 120 Hz real refresh rate.

All 2018 Samsung models support Freesync, as far as I'm aware, and they are one of the best in the television realm when it comes to input lag. And as poster above points out, some of them support lower resolutions with 120 Hz real refresh rate.

Armenius is correct. Samsung is the best TV option if you were to buy one today. I'm praying that AMD either stops sucking cock or Nvidia releases an HDMI 2.1 card and the 2019 TVs all support HDMI 2.1 VRR. Something needs to happen there. All the individual pieces are there, but there is no single setup that ticks every box.

if it's the seiki 39" panel, they are worth a pretty penny due to zisworks offering modules that will run it at 4k 120hz.

It is the 39" model. The panel itself is quite nice (better then the TCL I have at work by a country mile). The only thing holding it back is the 30Hz limitation. I had no idea somebody made a kit to upgrade it.

It looks pretty sweet, but $500 is quite a chunk of change. They don't seem to mention freesync anywhere either, which is disappointing. It's a bit surprising that somebody went to this much effort to create a programmable upgrade board with a ton of features, but didn't bother with adaptive sync (arguably the most important feature for any 4k panel).

If they ever add freesync support in a future firmware update, I just might go for it.

I'm praying that AMD either stops sucking cock or Nvidia releases an HDMI 2.1 card and the 2019 TVs all support HDMI 2.1 VRR.

I'm sure "sucking cock" is an activity greatly enjoyed by many [H] users, so I don't see the need to use it as a negative example.

That said, hopefully TVs supporting VRR will start pushing Nvidia to support it already. Enough proprietary gsync requirements.

He basically describing the Philips 436m6vbpab. Why have no-one suggested it?

Thank you. That is exactly the sort of suggestion I was looking for. $900 is a bit steep, but it seems like it might be enough of an upgrade from my seiki to be worthwhile. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, and if it goes on sale closer to xmas, I'll definitely jump on it.

He basically describing the Philips 436m6vbpab. Why have no-one suggested it?

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-436m6vbpab/

Oh, maybe it can't be found in Korea ?

Probably because every review I've seen of it makes very negative mention of the BGR subpixel layout and static dithering, and usually ends with a statement along the lines of "amazing monitor, but it sucks as a desktop computer monitor".

Thank you. That is exactly the sort of suggestion I was looking for. $900 is a bit steep, but it seems like it might be enough of an upgrade from my seiki to be worthwhile. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, and if it goes on sale closer to xmas, I'll definitely jump on it.

$900 for a GOOD 40" 4k monitor would be an absolute steal right now. Sadly, there really aren't any that I've seen.

Either way, I know adaptive sync is great and all, but I don't think it can fix RX480. That thing is like 1/2 the performance of a 1080 Ti, which can *barely* handle 4k.

Probably because every review I've seen of it makes very negative mention of the BGR subpixel layout and static dithering, and usually ends with a statement along the lines of "amazing monitor, but it sucks as a desktop computer monitor".

$900 for a GOOD 40" 4k monitor would be an absolute steal right now. Sadly, there really aren't any that I've seen.

Either way, I know adaptive sync is great and all, but I don't think it can fix RX480. That thing is like 1/2 the performance of a 1080 Ti, which can *barely* handle 4k.

I happen to want to get rid of my Wasabi.
WASABI MANGO UHD490 REAL 4K HDMI 2.0 49" LG AH-IPS UHD 3840x2160 DP 1.2 Monitor
I want an alienware ultrawide since I wont have the space here when I move in two months. The wasabi IS excellent though I still game on it. I happen to sit back with a little tv tray normally but heres a pic of my buddy trying it out ridiculously close (ultimate silly immersion). It's bigger than what you're looking for and you probably aren't in SoCal.

Attachments

• 20180729_190642.jpg
    20180729_190642.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180906_160521.jpg
    20180906_160521.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 0
Back