looking at some cisco books

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, those are the best two. Just always, ALWAYS make sure that the book you're buying is for the current exam version of the test. The current one is 640-801 so you're good.

http://www.cisco.com/go/ccna will keep you up to date on what the current one is.

definitely go with the sybex book, it's the best study guide out there for the ccna, I've purchased the very same 5th edition book that you listed and it coveres things well. I had gone through a full year of cisco networking academy at my highschool but ended up not going for my certification test. The reason I didn't take the cert. test was that I am in college now and it would be pointless to have a certification that I'd need to retest for after I graduated. good luck to you with the test

darkmyth said:
definitely go with the sybex book, it's the best study guide out there for the ccna, I've purchased the very same 5th edition book that you listed and it coveres things well. I had gone through a full year of cisco networking academy at my highschool but ended up not going for my certification test. The reason I didn't take the cert. test was that I am in college now and it would be pointless to have a certification that I'd need to retest for after I graduated. good luck to you with the test

i plan to go to school for it/networking engineer or something in that field but i figure if i start to learn about everything now it will make things easier along the way, and maybe i could get a part time job in the field while im in school

AMD_Gamer said:
i plan to go to school for it/networking engineer or something in that field but i figure if i start to learn about everything now it will make things easier along the way, and maybe i could get a part time job in the field while im in school

To true AMD, good luck eh.

I'm going through the Computer Systems Science degree at the college I choose and will be doing a decent amount of network management, programming, team management etc. One thing to look out for though is that many companies are outsourceing their IT to foreign countries so by the time you get out of college you may find yourself in a bad situation when it comes to job availability. I've gotta worry about it as well once I graduate. Either way keep at what ya like and study hard.

darkmyth said:
To true AMD, good luck eh.

I'm going through the Computer Systems Science degree at the college I choose and will be doing a decent amount of network management, programming, team management etc. One thing to look out for though is that many companies are outsourceing their IT to foreign countries so by the time you get out of college you may find yourself in a bad situation when it comes to job availability. I've gotta worry about it as well once I graduate. Either way keep at what ya like and study hard.

i want to be like a network engineer or network admin, like some guy thats builds computer networks and does admin stuff for big companies, i dont think any of that is being outsourced in fact it cant.

AMD_Gamer said:
i want to be like a network engineer or network admin, like some guy thats builds computer networks and does admin stuff for big companies, i dont think any of that is being outsourced in fact it cant.

Actually "admin stuff" as you state it can be managed remotely. Design of networks can be done anywhere, and implementation can either be done with local systems administratiors or workers can be shipped in.

The Cisco Press is what we've use at my school. Get ready for a long boring read.

Superfly3176 said:
The Cisco Press is what we've use at my school. Get ready for a long boring read.

Naw man, you got it all wrong. The Cisco books are awesome! I used that same book when I was going through the CCNA material. Then I bought the Cisco Press CCNP stuff. I cant comment on the Sybex book though, never owned it.

If you think that the CCNA stuff is boring, you would surely hate CCNP1-Advanced Routing. ;) heh

EDIT: This will probably be the next book I get. "Cisco Optical Network Design/Implimentation". Good stuff man.

I've had both books, and the cisco one is much better. in my case the sybex book left out sooooooooooo much of the stuff that was on my exam. i didnt have the cisco press book when i passed the exam, but afterwards i picked em up from bookpool for pretty cheap.

working on your ccna is a real good idea, especially if you want to make college easier. i'm in the IT program at the univ of cincinnati, and my ccna, microsoft certs, and linux exp made my the majority of my IT classes a breeze. i pretty much only show up to to turn in hw and take exams. having those certs also makes it easier getting a job through your school's co-op/internship office, at least it did for me.

Nybbles said:
EDIT: This will probably be the next book I get. "Cisco Optical Network Design/Implimentation". Good stuff man.

that book looks interesting, but i'd forget what i read after i was done with it (dont have any way of "practicing" it in a live environment really. i bought a cisco data center book a while back, and that shit went wayyyyyyyy over my head. i brought it back a few days later.

I've been thinking of going for my ccnp, but i know it's gonna be a long, hard road for me.

Sybex if you want a quick howtotakethetest book

Cisco Press if you want to learn everything and have good skills

The Sybex is a good primer. When you know the concepts, switch to the Cisco book. The Cisco books are much more detailed.

If you're seriously considering doing network engineering, grab a copy of Cisco's Internetworking Technologies Handbook. Anything about any of the technologies in the CCNA book that is not covered in-depth will likely be in the ITH book. It's a definite must-have for any serious networking guy. I keep the book in my truck in case I get somewhere and need to know something, but dont have Internet access.

ne0-reloaded said:
that book looks interesting, but i'd forget what i read after i was done with it (dont have any way of "practicing" it in a live environment really. i bought a cisco data center book a while back, and that shit went wayyyyyyyy over my head. i brought it back a few days later.

I've been thinking of going for my ccnp, but i know it's gonna be a long, hard road for me.

Yeah, I was looking at it cuz a friend may need someone who knows a bit about it. Dont know if that's gonna happen or not, but I dont mind having good books on the shelf for reference.

As for the CCNP... I took Advanced Routing at a Cisco Academy at a local community college. That was a very decent course. The material was challenging, yet not impossible. However, I heard that the actual cert test itself is a bitch. I've been thinking of going back and continuing that, but I've been too damn busy with other stuff (MCSE).

EDIT: Hey Boscoh, thanks for the suggestion on the ITH. Just got a new copy from a seller on Amazon for under $40 shipped.

can someone explain the difference between the INTRO and ICND tests?
I just finished CCNA 1 and 2, is there a test I could take now, and then go on later with 3 and 4 to get my CCNA?

can someone explain the difference between the INTRO and ICND tests?
I just finished CCNA 1 and 2, is there a test I could take now, and then go on later with 3 and 4 to get my CCNA?

The INTRO and ICND tests are basically the original CCNA test split into two parts. You can take one at a time but you need to pass both (don't know if within a certain timeframe though). So you can take those two tests or the full CCNA test; both will yield the same result, it's just a matter of personal preference.

I actually took and passed the INTRO test and it was quite easier than I thought it would be. Course, taking a voucher test in class and getting 2/3 of the exam's price off doesn't hurt either. :)

Back