Long star-up times for COD2, BF2

vmaddogv

Weaksauce
I don't know if it just the games or if it my system, but games like COD2 and BF2 take forever to do the initial load up. For instance, when i click the BF2 icon, the splash screen appears then goes away and it takes anywhere from 1 to 2 min before i get to the EA games screen. For COD2, I click the icon, the splash screen comes up and stays up for around 2 to 3 min before it loads the game. I know these are heavy games but my brothers 3000+ barton and 9800pro load them up faster. Is this normal? Anyone else having these annoyances?

My specs:
MSI Neo2 Plat.
6800gt oc
3200+ winchester at 3500+ OC
1GB ocz plat rev. 2

No I dont think that is normal. Try to download any patches for the games and see if that helps

I'm guessing you've already rebooted the machine and defragged the hard drive the games are installed on? Also scan for spyware.

Curve said:
I'm guessing you've already rebooted the machine and defragged the hard drive the games are installed on? Also scan for spyware.

Yup, yup, and yup.

hmm.. made any changes to the system lately? new hardware, software, drivers? if all else fails try reinstalling one of the games and see if that works.

2GB of RAM will help when you are actually in game. What Hard Drive are you loading the games from?

DougLite said:
2GB of RAM will help when you are actually in game. What Hard Drive are you loading the games from?

See the problem is not really in the game, sure i wish i could push my 1920x1200 res a little more, but the problem is in the initial load from desktop. The drive is a 150GB 7200rpm sata.

If you go into the movies subfolder in the respective games install folder, and rename the movies, you can bypass all the start up cut scenes and go straight to the menus.

Found out what the problem was. My virus software was scanning the files when loaded so it was waiting for Mcafee before it loaded the game. Turned off the on-access scan and now the games load up instantly.

Back