Long Range Wireless

pug

[H]ard|Gawd
Any have any ideas? We have a rally park (basically a big open field where they let people stay in their motorhome/trailer) (I work for an RV Dealership)

They would like to give internet to those customers.

A local broadband provider uses 802.11 down at the lake. Works pretty well considering how hilly the terrain is. In a flat area, you could get good coverage w/ 802.11.

What kind of hardware would you recommend. We have used Linksys Wireless Routers G

pug said:
What kind of hardware would you recommend. We have used Linksys Wireless Routers G

What kind of Range do you need? i need some numbers

Numbers are virtually irrelevant without looking at the layout.

to the OP. If the trailers have unobstructed view then you stand a pretty good chance. AP with a decent to high gain omni mounted externally, then the clients would either need to be fairly close, have their own externally mounted directional pointing back to the host, or possibly windows access to their PCI card with antenna or USB cable antenna.

WIthout a site survey you cannot get good infomation here. Only suggestions about what might or might not work. The easiest way to find out is take your AP or Router AP combo. mount it outside (or you can try inside first if you like), preferably as high as you can get it. like on top of a builing or another trailer if that is there the broadband connection comes in, and then start walking around. Go inside potential remote sites and get an idea about your current coverage with the bare minimum setup. The typical default 2 dBi rabbit ear(s) on your traditional soho router/AP, and standard client cards at the remote sites. Then adjust accordingly/incrementally.

Metal trailers may present a problem. If you have one or more in the line of sight from A to B, then it's a crap shoot. Multiple metal trailers in the LOS and you can feel pretty comfortable your going to have problems. You'd then need to elevate and mount externally at the parent site. Retest, and so on. Numbers, and I assume he's talking about distances, are useless without the layout variables. Obstruction makeup, and so forth. This would be done most accurately with a site survey. Which by and large, is pretty easy to accomplish

Are you wanting to give the service away or charge them? If you are wanting to charge a fee, then you may want to move away from the indoor consumer based products to something like this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6548/index.html

Wont be cheap & you should figure your ROI after you complete the design. Otherwise, tell them to go to Sprint & get an EVDO card. I dont know if i would want to be responsible for a service & running it off a Linksys.

Lots of wireless ISP's are using Linksys WRT54G routers with custom firmware for the client devices.

Most are running comercial grade hardware for the AP.

I'm building my own right now, tests stable at 5 miles, our average is a mile or two from the tower.

Back