Logitech MX 518, anyone still using it?

Still using MX-518 - the older one with smaller plastic feet, still battling finding a good replacement.

I preferred the older feet with my cloth pads since it's more slippery/less friction compared to the bigger teflon feet, it's a bit more sticky with the teflon ones. Well that is just comparing MX518 old vs MX518 updated one, can't speak for G400/G400S but I'm scared I'd find them to be the same (ie. lesser good than the old MX518's feet). The glide is simply perfect with the old MX518 and the mousepads I use: Everglide Titan Monstermat or Razer Mantis Speed (fibretek coating, smooth but reasonably/suprisingly low-friction cloth surface to not have any texturing/pattern to it like say the Zowie "cloth" pads which I don't enjoy using).

Might have a Kana V2 in the upcoming days for test. Mice I've tested are for example: Razer DeathAdder, Steelseries Kinzu v2, Zowie FK2, Roccat Savu. I have a preference towards mid-small / lightweight mice, that's the only thing I'd wish to change regarding MX-518 a bit smaller (~125mm length) and lighter (95~100g) and it would be perfect.

Last edited:
Still use it, it's been around 8 years or so? Can't really find a mouse better than this except for the Microsoft IE 3.0 I had prior to it. I've had other Logitech and Razer mice and they just don't seem to do it for me ergonomically.

The 1800 dpi version is being sold on Newegg for those interested

Kana V2 wasn't a replacement either for MX518, mainly shape (slightly too low profile especially) and the fact there's not enough space for the thumb so I kept pressing the side button sometimes since I like to grab the mouse at the side with the thumb too. Sensor felt fine, a bit more accurate than MX518. The acceleration in MX518 is noticeable when switching between mice like that but ergonomics will always be #1 for me.

Maybe Zowie EC1-A or 2 next, unsure if I need the bigger or not since I prefer having as small mice as possible but without them getting my hand touching the mousepad all the time. MX518 is actually low at only 36 mm but yet it feels tall somehow, wonder what's up with that. EC2 is 40 mm tall and EC1 even 43 mm tall. Although MX518 is really wide at 70 mm at the widest point vs 69 mm for EC1 and 64 mm for EC2. I believe the width needs to be fairly large for me why I'm slightly drawn towards the EC1 but then again already EC2 is 40 mm tall, 4 mm higher than MX518 so it's difficult to tell, 43 mm height sounds really much.

Last edited:
still have my 518, but I prefer my G5. I heard the 518 has built in acceleration that cannot be disabled? Probably not true, but I don't like running ANY acceleration in FPS games.

If I still had the option to go wired I'd likely be using a 518 or at least something similar.
For now, my G700 is good enough. If they ever discontinue that one I'll probably buy 2-3 just in case. Ditto with my Logitech K250 keyboard...which is already getting tough to find.

I am still using mine, but I am now looking at making my next purchase a wireless mouse, I found this on Amazon. Any thoughts from you guys? It's basically a MX 518 only instead of corded, it's wireless.

M510 on Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am still using mine, but I am now looking at making my next purchase a wireless mouse, I found this on Amazon. Any thoughts from you guys? It's basically a MX 518 only instead of corded, it's wireless.

M510 on Amazon.com

I have that at work. It is bearable for that, but I would never use it for gaming. The sensor isn't even centered.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a 518 and the right button has just recently started to stick.

I like this mouse because it's not too heavy, and the sides are grippy after 6 years of abuse.

Not sure if I can get it back to working like new if I disassemble it.

They gave me a performance MX at work when I asked for a new mouse. It works fine for programming but my preference is for a lighter mouse for home use.

I progressed from the 518, to the G5, G500 and finally ended up with the G502. It's usable, but it's not my favorite of the lot.

I had a 518 at work for a long time, until it vanished never to be seen again. Been using a G400 for a long time now at home and consider it the best mouse I've ever used.

Sadly, the right click seems to be having issues of late, and I cant justify the massive markup people are getting for this model to get a replacement. ($100+)

Saw the G400S, but I'd heard it wasn't as solid as the G400 was and that the "feet" weren't the same material so it didn't glide as easily on cloth mouse pads.

Those funky looking newer mice from Logitech just don't entice me to want to buy them and try them out.

I had the 400s for about week and then had to return it to Amazon. The left mouse button would stick sometimes and the size of the mouse hurt my hand. My hands are smallish for a guy.

I alternate between a 518 and the Razer Taipan and for whatever reason could never adjust to the shape of the 400s. There are subtle differences between the 400s and the MX518 that I just couldn't handle.

Edit: It was the Hyperion Fury mouse that I had, not the g400s. My mistake.

Last edited:
They claim the G400 is a direct replacement for the 518 minus the shiny paint. So if you like the 518 so much why not try the G400.

I liked my 518 but all these mice just go bad after a couple years. Now days it seems the cords are always weak.

Back