Logitech MX 1000 Laser Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaleForce

Gawd
Anyone pick one of these up yet? I just got one today from CompUSA and its great. I had a normal optical wireless beforehand, and the mouse jumped around like it was drunk because I mouse on my desk (hard wood with a glossy finish). The laser mouse is acurate to the dot in the letter i, even on the glossy surface. I love it. It molds really well to your hand, the battery meter is great, and the rechargable factor is awesome. It also looks awesome :D.

I got one last week to replace my MX500. Very interesting thumb-design and a very elegant general design. It's a worty throne replacement for my MX500, fully satisfied. Though a little heavier than a corded mouse (weighs a bit more than my MX500) it's still beatiful. I was a bit nervous about the change at start but after a days use i couldn't go back to the MX500.

Excellent Choice, i'd recommend it!

I didn't like the feel of it when I tried it out at CompUSA compared to the MX700... The space to the right between the wheel and the edge of the mouse seemed a lot smaller than the MX700s, not enough space for my middle finger and the one next to it... Dunno, I might try it again. The buttons are bettwe placed than the MX700s and the thumb rest is nice, but again, I'm not sure I like it's slightly tweaked angle and the fact that it's shorter.

I picked one up a few days ago, I like it. I do have a couple issues with it though, perhaps you guys have found a work around.

#1 I'm using a kvm to switch between the two machines in my sig. It's a ps2 kvm so I'm using the included usb -> ps2 adaptor. The problem is that the the software nolonger recognizes the mouse so the little button inbetween the back and forward button nolonger works.

#2 If I remove the mouse from the kvm and go straight to the usb port, the software recognizes the mouse and allows me to set the individual buttons as I desire. However in firefox the back and forward buttons nolonger function. The lack of mozilla/firefox support is a known issue thats been reported on logitechs forums

damned if I do and damned if I don't

arrrgh!!!!

:mad:

I picked one up today and so far I like it. The only issue I have had is the software included. It simply would not install correctly. I tried 3 times before giving up and going to Logitech.com to download it.

I took a few pics of the mx 1000 alongside my mx700 for those who want to see how they compare. I will give you a little mini review but im not sure how I can test the response between the two mice technically. I can tell you that I "think" its more responsive but I would like to be able to "show" that it is. Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry 56kers, there wasn't fair warning...
mx1000_4.jpg
mx1000_5.jpg
mx1000_1.jpg

mx1000_6.jpg
mx1000_7.jpg
mx1000_2.jpg
mx1000_3.jpg
mx1000_8.jpg
mx1000_9.jpg

Sorry they aren't in any good order or uniform. One of the things that is different is the size of the power supply. The only problem is that it makes no difference because it still takes up two spaces on your power strip. If you plug it directly into the wall then i guess it can now go in the top or bottom plug...but who plugs anything besides a powerstrip into the wall anyways? Also I took a pic of the back of the base unit to show where the power supply plugs into the unit now. It used to plug into the back of the usb connector on the mx700's base charger, now it goes directly to the base. This is fine, but it does make it a little less clean looking than having just one wire connecting to it.

Another thing I found interesting was that I don't think you can actually SEE the laser. I thought my mouse was not working until I set it down and started using it. I saw a little red flash once but that was it. For the most part the laser cannot be seen while it is on. Also I was kinda expecting this mouse to be alot lighter than the mx700 due to the fact that it uses Lithium Ion batteries instead of 2 AA's but this simply is not the case. I would say it weighs a little less if not the same.

As far as precision...well when I figure out how to measure that I'll let you know how it compares to the mx700.

I don't like the rather large 'dent' on the ruberized grip where the thumb resides, it feels good for the thumb but I kinda press harder unto it or feel like I have to hold it tigher... Dunno, it just didn't feel as nice to the initial touch as the MX700 did when I tried them at CompUSA, maybe I've just got freakish hands... No one else seems to have preffered the MX700's feel. :(

I just got back from the store from picking one up. Just got it installed so I havent had any time using it with a game but I will try it out later tonight. I was getting really tired of my old corded MS optical mouse. So far I really like it. It fits my hand really nice and I like the button placement. Hopefully games that found the side buttons on my old mouse will recognize these as well.

I downloaded the Halo PC trial and the mouse was great. I'm very pleased with its gaming capabilities.

From the pics it looks like the mx1000 does not have a battery door on the bottom is this true?

Anyone know what kind of battery it has in it and how easy it is to get to?

Is there a mAh rating on the battery?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to be able to change out the battery in my $80 mouse if need be when I get one.

It's a lithium-ion battery, so it should give a lifespan of 3+ years. If it fails within the time of the warrenty, i'd be getting in touch with logitech and getting a replacement. Besides, in a year there'll be a new toy for us to spend our money one (ultrasound mouse anyone? ;) ) and this one will probably get relegated to a younger family members computer :)

S1nF1xx said:
I can't wait for a corded version.

Just so you know, this mouse is FAR more accurate than the MX510 (Logitechs latest creation of corded mice that is known to be the best gaming mouse until now). I think its time for all you corded freaks to make a switch. This is a GREAT mouse.

I have to agree with M00. I got a MS cordless mouse and KB set and the mouse was horrid so I kept using my corded one. The mx1000 might as well be corded. It has no lag to it like other mice. Im really glad I got this thing my mouse cord was buggin the hell out of me.

Im using an mx700 and cant notice a difference between corded, the new laser technology is supposevely like 50x more precise.....beat that with any cord version. (and if you can notice any difference after 50x the perfformance of an mx700 your on crack)

my mx duo is wearign up, but still very functional and i can't jsutify buying that moouse. once i beat the shit out of the duo enough i will turn to the laser duo

M00saysthebone2 said:
Just so you know, this mouse is FAR more accurate than the MX510 (Logitechs latest creation of corded mice that is known to be the best gaming mouse until now). I think its time for all you corded freaks to make a switch. This is a GREAT mouse.

Are you SMOKING? I had the mx500 when it first came out, then I upgraded to the 510 when it came out, and I can safely say that the 1000 in no way, shape, or form can even come close to comparing to the 510.

The 1000 feels like it always has acceleration on, skips, jumps, and has a delay if you lift up the mouse. The 510 has none of these problems. I tried gaming on both mice at the same time, switching between the two, and the 510 is far superior.

Remember the first gen optical mice? If you moved them too fast they would skip around and go nuts. The 500 and 510 dont do this, yet the 1000 does.

I was excited that maybe Logitech had finally made a cordless mouse that was good enough for hardcore gamers to finally make the switch away from cords. Unfortunatly this isn't the case with the mx1000.

Sure, its probably good enough for the casual gamer, but if you're a twitch gamer or have been playing fps games your whole life, then don't even bother with this mouse.

LOL, at what point in a game do you ever pick up the mouse? :rolleyes:
I saw that guy's video and he's on crack slamming them around like that.

Hmm, somebody has never played fps games, have they? :rolleyes:

Don't give me that rolleyes crap untill you've played a game where you do need to lift up the mouse in order to spin around, or do a 180 without having your hand in an awkward as hell position.

Your rolleyes still doesn't stop the mx1000 from having a delay, which it shouldn't have.

edit: Also, don't get me wrong. This mouse is way better then either the 700 or 900 is, but a gaming mouse replacement it is not.

any news of this mouse being packaged with a keyboard? i would love to upgrade my corded mouse and keyboard to both wireless, but i dont want to have 2 recievers. If i bought just the mouse now, would i be able to buy a microsoft keyboard now or later and be able to use the same reciever?

mcdeth. I actually have both mice, do research on the products. You obviously dont know too much about the products.

EDIT: FYI, I myself am a huge CS Gamer, I have played the games since ball mouses were normal to always have. Dont act like your some superior person who knows everything about gaming and mice.

McDeth said:
Hmm, somebody has never played fps games, have they? :rolleyes:
...snip for crap....
I've taken the 1000 through some CS and some Source too as well as a few other FPSs and I haven't seen any lag at all. If you believe it has a delay you'll see one. :rolleyes:

M00saysthebone2 said:
mcdeth. I actually have both mice, do research on the products. You obviously dont know too much about the products.

EDIT: FYI, I myself am a huge CS Gamer, I have played the games since ball mouses were normal to always have. Dont act like your some superior person who knows everything about gaming and mice.

You have what mice? The 510 and the 1000? Or the 700/900 and the mx1000?

Guess what? I have the 500, 510, and the 1000. I've taken apart, repaired, traded in, and tweaked at least 5 510's I've had since they first came out. What exactly is it you think I don't know about these mice? I've played cs on ball mice too, whats your point. Don't think that just because I didn't say I never played on anything else I haven't.

I never acted like I was superior to you, you just assumed it. I said I can tell a difference, and you obviously can't. That doesn't make me a better person then you, just able to tell a difference, thats it. And I find it hard to believe that out of millions of gamers I'm the ONLY one who can tell a difference.

And you know what, I think I probably AM a superior gamer to you. ( I don't know why I'm bragging about that, lol) Have you played cs for 4 years in LAN torunaments across the country? Probably not. I have. That gives me a leg up on you.

See, now that was me saying I'm a superior person then you.

Please tell me what "research" I need to do, since I'm obviously missing something.

From all aspects the 510 and the 1000 are similar. Same DPI, same resolution. The 1000 has slightly more processing power per inch then the 1000, yet I think its not as precise.

Mind you, this could be due to the fact that Logitech fucked up with their drivers yet again, or the some other wireless variable. After uninstalling their software that came with the mouse, the 1000 feels alot better, but still not as good as the 510.

I just played source with them on the same mousepad, and the 510 wins in regards to precisian. And I don't "THINK" I see a delay with the 1000, because there is most certainly a delay with it.

edit: I wish the mouseware 9.80 drivers worked with this mouse. :(

CrimandEvil said:
I've taken the 1000 through some CS and some Source too as well as a few other FPSs and I haven't seen any lag at all. If you believe it has a delay you'll see one. :rolleyes:
Kinda like "If you build it, they will come" thing.... :p

My mx1000 will arrive today, ill play test it and post some feedback later.

Well I've had some people tell me that their mice don't skip when you pick them up? Could somebody else try picking it up and moving it while you put it down and tell me if there is a delay?

also, mice are not meant to be picked up, that is one factor why you dont know what your talking about. Like i said, you have yet to bring actual facts to the table, unscrewing a mouse doesnt make it better or make you any smarter.

Can you be any more retarded? They're not meant to be picked up? How the fuck do you play cs if you can't pick up the mouse? EVERY SINGLE player that I've seen picks up their mouse. Sorry, but this isn't your local garage LAN. This is CPL and CXG I'm talking about here, maybe you don't realise that. Watch fatal1ty play and tell me he never lifts his mouse up.

You are a goddamn idiot, every single person I know that plays any on-line fps picks up their mouse and sets it down to turn around or to whip their view around.

You say I don't know what I'm talking about because I have yet to bring any facts to the table, yet you've done the same thing. Maybe we're used to different styles of playing perhaps? Saying I don't know what I'm talking about just because you don't play the same way I do just makes you look more retarded.

If mice weren't meant to be picked up then why would the mx510 not skip where the earlier generation optical mice did skip? Was it some magical side effect of making the optical engine better? Or maybe it was the thousands of posts by gamers pissed off that they couldn't whip their mouse around like they used to be able to with a ball mouse.

Please, show me where I don't know what I'm talking about. All I see is you saying that and yet lets see why you're so much more knowledgeable then me? I told you why I think I know more then you, and you said I still don't know what I'm talking about. Shit, at this point you've got me thinking your a head designer for logitech with all you must know. :rolleyes:

edit: Btw you still havn't told me what mice you have. I'm sure if you've been using shitty mx700's the entire time then ya, the mx1000 is a definate improvement over that.

I OWN, not TRIED, the MX510, MX700 duo set, and now the MX1000. Also, I Dont appreciate your insults. Im sorry you cant have a simple discussion without being immature.

M00saysthebone2 said:

Oh ya, I just noticed this. I can tell you really know what you're talking about. I took this directly from the extremetech review.

On the performance side, the MX1000 stands head and shoulders above the earlier MX series of wireless mice, and matches the technical specs of the MX510 gaming mouse while still provided a cordless chassis

Yup, you sure showed me how much I know. And you say I need to do research when you've obviously done jack shit.

I notice you're new to these forums. Around here we don't blow smoke up each others asses, we back up our proof.

M00saysthebone2 said:
I OWN, not TRIED, the MX510, MX700 duo set, and now the MX1000. Also, I Dont appreciate your insults. Im sorry you cant have a simple discussion without being immature.
Oh I was having a nice discussion untill you decided to try and say I didn't know what I was talking about. The part where you tried to say I didn't know what I was talking about was pretty cool, but then thats an insult on your part too.

I actually have both mice, do research on the products. You obviously dont know too much about the products.

Remember that? Why even bother saying then when you obviously don't even know what you're talking about.

Here, I'll bring up another point.

Logitech claims the new MX Laser Engine is 20 times as accurate as the average optical mouse, and with that extra level of accuracy, it can detect small movements over surfaces that would otherwise look identical to its myopic, LED-based brethren.

See, theres this thing called marketing. Logitech can claim that their laser system is 20x more accurate then the typical optical mouse because it is. However, their MX series of optical mice are also 20x more accurate then the typical optical mouse. Please, can you show me where in technical specs where the mx1000 is, how did you put it?
FAR more accurate than the MX510
I'll give you a cookie if you can.

Yes obviously in this forum you dont, you just constantly insult them. Good-luck having a mature conversation in the future.

M00saysthebone2 said:
Yes obviously in this forum you dont, you just constantly insult them. Good-luck having a mature conversation in the future.

I'm guessing having a mature conversation with somebody who's obviously under 18 is a futile attempt.

I gave you plenty of chances to back up your claims, but you just constantly said I didn't know what I was talking about.

McDeth said:
Oh I was having a nice discussion untill you decided to try and say I didn't know what I was talking about. ---snip---
It was a nice discussion until you showed up and started name calling which BTW is against the rules. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing having a mature conversation with somebody who's obviously under 18 is a futile attempt.
My thoughr exactly when I read your posts. ;)

CrimandEvil said:
It was a nice discussion until you showed up and started name calling which BTW is against the rules. :rolleyes:

My thoughr exactly when I read your posts. ;)

If he had showed he was mature enough to warrent a mature reply I would have responded in kind.

Oh, whats this? Another review telling the same exact thing and once again proving he doesn't know what he's talking about.

the past, the corded MX510 took the cake when it came to gaming, but now with the MX1000 sporting the same specs (thanks to Logitech's Fast RF technology), it's time to go wireless.

Lookie, its the same specs as the 510! :shock:

Also, I please ask you not to harass me in my pms too. Its bad enough in this thread, dont dig yourself into a deeper hole.

one of the things that the MX1000 has over the mx510 is the ability to work on a greater amount of surfaces.. this is due to the laser pickup being more precise in it's readings than the earlier MX series.. Now this does not translate into better DPI, resolution, or anthing like that.. simply it's going to work on surfaces that the earlier MX series had problems with..

If they put the MX1000 in a corded version, I'd buy one for this reason alone, as I do have slight tracking problems on my original ratpad on my MX500... it only happens sometimes, but once in ahwhile the mouse will kinda vibrate in one spot.. kinda annoying when I'm sitting there leaning out past a wall getting ready to cap someone in the head, when I know they chased me into a room.. Other than that it seems like a good mouse if you're in the wireless dept... I don't mind corded mice, and think they offer an advantage to wireless mice still... also I've read there's some problems with the MX1000 in PS/2 mode and not all the buttons being recognized.. hopefully just a software problem, but I much prefer ps/2 over usb any day of the week..

hi barnaby. Just wondering, whats the difference between a PS2 Mouse and USB (Other than some small problems with buttons not working), I mean is there any difference performance wise?

I would remind you gentlemen of the first rule on the list you agreed to when you registered:
(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING OR NAME CALLING. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.
It's important enough to be the first on the list. You can disagree all you want but when it gets personal, you can count on a Mod, SuperMod, or Admin getting involved. If it gets to this point, you may not be thrilled with the outcome.

Please read and follow the rules - B.B.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back