Logitech G25 or Microsoft Racing Wheel

BMWlover

Limp Gawd
Well, I want a racing wheel and I cannot decide which one, so I thought I would ask you guys which you preferred.

Microsoft X360 wheel
+Cheap
+Great with Forza 2 and other games
+Fun to use against friends on Xbox live
-No clutch pedal/manual gearbox
-limited wheel rotation (not that it will really be noticeable)
Oh, Can you use the X360 wheel with a computer? Do they have drivers?

Logitech G25
+Great build quality/looks
+Works great with GTR2, TDU, and other sims
+Clutch/manual gearbox
+920 degree rotation
-Does not work on Xbox

Thanks for the help guys. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken with a detail or if you have something else to add to the list. Just looking at the list I made I am leaning towards the G25.

There is no comparison the g25 is miles better than the ms wheel. It also costs $100 more too. I would not even touch the ms wheel. I have the g25 and it is amazing. Get it and do not look back.

bmw lover I hate to say this but the MS FFB wheel is just horrible... I would say go with the G25... Now Forza 2 is a great title but get the cheaper drive fx for that instead it´s better made actually. You do want a wheel not because it will make you faster for the console games but it increases the feel ten folds :)

Go with the G25. There is no comparison between the two in my opinion.:)

I vote for the X360.

Haha only joking. I don't have a G25 but I would choose my Momo over the X360, and I would choose the G25 over the Momo if I could justify the cost.

I don't see what is terribly wrong with the Xbox 360 wheel - it really is not that bad.

Wow, I realized that the X360 wheel was not on par with the G25, but I did not think so many negative opinions would appear. The more I think about it the more I realize I want the G25.lol Now, only if it would work with forza.

about the g25...

I have a fairly thick desk, whats the max thickness that the g25 clamps can accomodate? Can anyone with a g25 check please?

2 inches max if I remember correctly. I'll measure it tomorrow if I get a chance. And as stated before, G25 is the god of all wheels sub-$1000.

thanks, i appreciate it. i just picked up a momo racing force feedback wheel (the red one), and the clamps don't even come close to fitting onto my desk

looking forward to your measurements!

The biggest problem with the 360 wheel is that it´s wobbly from the beginning and it just gets worse and worse and worse...

FFB is very weak and poor when you are used to the MOMO wheels. you are stuck with only 240 degrees of travel, it´s ugly as heck and the mounting mechanism is more designed for having in your lap then attach to a desk...

seeing how expensive it´s for what you get it´s the worst game pheripheral of 2007 for me.
Only thing that is good about it is the pedals... For sure they are small and tiny but if you bolt them on they can be easilly modded with a squashball or similar. Better then the DFP pedals for sure thus but worse then the G25 that also has a clutch of course.

G25 does sadly don´t work on the 360 because noone would buy the MS FFB weel if it would ;). Really a bummer the 360 demands a proper force feedback wheel.

As mentioned above Driving Force PRO is also an alternative it´s criminally cheap now 60$ or something but not the same as the G25 of course.

G25, but it can't be used on XBOX 360 (afaik).

Also I've read tons of complaints that the MS XBox 360 wheel, like their wireless hand controller, is WAY too sensitive and actually makes driving games harder, not easier.

That's usually the whole point of getting the wheel, to make driving games easier and more realistic than banging sticks on the standard XB 360 controller.

Does anyone know if the MS Wired 360 controller is less sensitive than the wireless one? The wireless one is absolutely killing me in Tiger Woods 2008.

I'm using a cheap, wired Joytech for TW now, but it's not a great controller and want something better that also takes care of the sensitivity issues in TW 2008.

Don´t know if you got a faulty controller but I have never used a better gamepad than the 360 version :).

As for wheel versus gamepad... Most games on consoles are optimized for gamepads rather then wheels... Also as for arcade titles you don´t need the smoothness a wheel gives you... You must be able to get from lock to lock and change directions in a millisecond to be fast :).

So it´s not only the MS FFB wheel being crappy it´s how the games is designed... Play PGR with a G25 or whatever you may still be faster with a gamepad. Even though it help tons to adjust the steering ratio... In outrun I run 70 degrees lol in Sega Rally 120 or something to give more direct steering.

in arcade racer like PGR...i doubt a G25 will help much. But in a sim like racer Forza2, it should help. not to mention how much more real and fun. Will never know because microsoft censor everything on the xbox360 except their own shit...so ghay.

You must not play Tiger Woods 2008.

The most commonly spoken phrase in TW 2008 is:

"GD it! Sliced again!"

I bought a cheap Joytech for TW. It's slow, dull, and lifeless. PERFECT for Tiger Woods 2008 :)

Don´t know if you got a faulty controller but I have never used a better gamepad than the 360 version :).

As for wheel versus gamepad... Most games on consoles are optimized for gamepads rather then wheels... Also as for arcade titles you don´t need the smoothness a wheel gives you... You must be able to get from lock to lock and change directions in a millisecond to be fast :).

So it´s not only the MS FFB wheel being crappy it´s how the games is designed... Play PGR with a G25 or whatever you may still be faster with a gamepad. Even though it help tons to adjust the steering ratio... In outrun I run 70 degrees lol in Sega Rally 120 or something to give more direct steering.

NO game without an in-car view can ever be called a sim...

"Sim" is reserved for real simulations. Grand Prix Legends. Nascar Racing 2003. rFactor. GTR2. GTL. And the upcomming iRacing should put even all these to shame if the website is accurate.

Forza is an arcade game IMHO.

in arcade racer like PGR...i doubt a G25 will help much. But in a sim like racer Forza2, it should help. not to mention how much more real and fun. Will never know because microsoft censor everything on the xbox360 except their own shit...so ghay.

NO game without an in-car view can ever be called a sim...

"Sim" is reserved for real simulations. Grand Prix Legends. Nascar Racing 2003. rFactor. GTR2. GTL. And the upcomming iRacing should put even all these to shame if the website is accurate.

Forza is an arcade game IMHO.

Not gonna try to convince you otherwise, but I disagree. Forza just has too much depth for me to consider it arcadey. PGR4 has highly detailed in-car views, but is infinitely more arcadey than Forza. The in-car view doesn't make or break a sim, to me.

Forza's in-car view stinks though.. I wish I could at least get a view showing the hood of the vehicle, but when you use this view in Forza, there are no mirrors. What the hell?

Oh and back on topic, I'm using the MS X360 Wheel for Forza2. Nice quality look and feel to it, but hate the turn radius (720 degrees?!?!?!) and the paddle shifters.

Also using the 360 wheel on Forza2 and am very surprised at just how touchy it can be. I don't so much turn the wheel as think about it, or else the car spins out... Very annoying.

MS ffb wheel is 240 degrees???

as for G25 not helping with PGR well it does since you can reduce the steering lock... the more you reduce the steering lock the more and more you get gamepad steering that those games are optimized for :).

You're right. We'll never agree. But that's ok :)

I've been SIM racing for 14 years now using true simulators. These arcade games can't compete.

If you want to see the pinnacle of true SIM racing go here:

www.iracing.com

And they just released pricing today:

http://iracing.com/news.htm

That should give your G25 a workout :)

Not gonna try to convince you otherwise, but I disagree. Forza just has too much depth for me to consider it arcadey. PGR4 has highly detailed in-car views, but is infinitely more arcadey than Forza. The in-car view doesn't make or break a sim, to me.

Forza's in-car view stinks though.. I wish I could at least get a view showing the hood of the vehicle, but when you use this view in Forza, there are no mirrors. What the hell?

Oh and back on topic, I'm using the MS X360 Wheel for Forza2. Nice quality look and feel to it, but hate the turn radius (720 degrees?!?!?!) and the paddle shifters.

iracing is not the pinnacle...

First it costs you what approx 150$ a year? Then you will have to pay to get more then a basic set of cars... pay for each track etc etc... Gonna get you buy something so if you want to run online you have to buy this package... It´s a damn money trap. Apart from that it looks absolutely rubbish compared even to the sims of today... Imagine when GTR 3 and Race 08 and Project Falcon and others gets on the market... If you just want plain old fun RBR and GPL is almost impossible to beat :)

Promise the best physics ever but which sim doesn´t ;)
I really hope the simracers won´t fall for this it´s so overpriced it´s silly...

You're right. We'll never agree. But that's ok :)

I've been SIM racing for 14 years now using true simulators. These arcade games can't compete.

If you want to see the pinnacle of true SIM racing go here:

www.iracing.com

And they just released pricing today:

http://iracing.com/news.htm

That should give your G25 a workout :)

Hehe, I'm glad we at least agree that internet debates are a waste of time. :D

I'll take a look, but if it's as pricey as the above poster says, I'm afraid "a look" is all they're gonna get from me. :(

Back