Log Windows CPU performance

steakman1971

2[H]4U
Ironically, I used to be a system programmer for Computer Associates and worked on Unicenter. Now, many years later - I am looking for a simple tool that does some of what Agentworks used to do (and I do not have a license nor do I work for them anymore).

I am looking for a recommendation on a systems monitoring tool for Windows. I'd be happy just to go to a log file for future viewing - but anything else is a bonus. I'm trying to track down what is causing one of my systems to bog down.

I supposed I could delve into WMI - but am wondering if there are any prebuilt solutions already floating around. I should probably keep an eye on CPU, RAM, and which processes are using the most. I want it to go to a log file or have a way to view historical information.

The system in question is currently running Windows 7.

While it doesn't do constant logging but Windows built in Resource Monitor works amazing if you want to monitor, CPU, RAM, Network (including which process is using network bandwidth), HDD activity (including which process is actively reading/writing to the HDD). If this program could output to a log file it would be exactly what you're looking for.

PerfMon - it's built right into windows. Setup the data collector with whatever counters you want, start it, and let it run. You will want to manually restart it if the system is rebooted. Typically, I have the logs set to 2GB-ish max file size. It doesn't stop logging at 2GB, it just rolls over (circular logging). This gives us about 72 hours worth of data, with 1 second sample rate.

Eulogy - forgot about Perfmon. I've mostly used Linux and OSX for the last 7 years! Thanks - that will work just fine.

Back