List of startup items...What are these?

maximo

n00b
Where can I get a list of the what the starup items are? I keep getting these two popups from ZA everytime I start my pc that ar trying to start/open/logon...whatever. Or does anybody know what swwn.exe, and mmot.exe, are??? These are the two that keep popping up. What the hell are they???

I would suggest downloading some spyware detection software such as Ad-Aware. It sounds like you might have some goobers installed on your PC. Alternatively, you can click on start, run, and type in msconfig. Then you can select which items you do/do not want to startup on your pc under the startup tab.

the registry also lists items sometimes that msconfig doesnt even pick up, go to run, type regedit and it is here

HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

there is alot of stuff there, also you can google anything that looks suspicious, i.e. if something says mmom.exe google it and see what is says, also look at the location if it is in the system or system32 folder it may be important so google those things, i think i read that the mmot.exe was part of ezula, if you can look at the path it may be able to tell you

Might want to check "Shell" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon it should only run 'explorer.exe' and nothing else.
But Ad-Aware should take care all of those junk.

I have Abaware and Spybot and neither gets it so I'll look into all the other info.

Try Startup List

its from the same guy that makes hijackthis. His site is here

Also, try checking out my antispyware website, located here and click on the link about how to remove malware (includes spyware/adware/hijacking, etc). CWShredder might help, but i think you can find these programs using startup list. post the log from it if possible.

Back