Liquid Cooling a Laptop

Crazy Larry

[H]ard|Gawd
Some of the pics didn't come out as planned, so there will be a gap or two :D

I had some heat issues with a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with a C2D T7400 and nvidia 8600m gt. Something I always wanted to try was to liquid cool it, so I scrounged up some old parts I had lying around and went to work.

The biggest issue with this project were size and voltage. There is not much room inside the chassis. I decided to take out the fan which was cooling the heatpipes and replace it with a water block. It took me a while to find the right block that would fit in there. I ended up using parts from a Coolermaster Aquagate Duo Viva (pic for reference only :D)

09.jpg

One of the blocks has a built in pump, while the other is just the water block. The toughest part of the build would be the heatpipes themselves. They are copper with fins attached directly to the heatpipe. Once removed with a pair of pliers, I sanded each one flat. Don't have a pic of the vid heatsink or the removal process (sorry) but here is a shot of the cpu heatsink:

heatsink.JPG

After disassembling the Aquagate Duo Viva kit, doing some sanding at the bottom of the chassis and removing the air duct on the side of the laptop, I installed the pumpless block.

n1668192827_194801_9419.jpg

n1668192827_194812_7413.jpg

n1668192827_194811_8301.jpg

I wasn't able to cover both sides of the heatpipe as I originally planned due to space issues, but I believe this should be sufficient. Used an old cpu mounting bracket and screws, which I had to make a few alterations to, to hold everything down. Sorry, no pic but you can see the mounting bracket in the pic next to the heat exchanger.

Next we need the pump, heat exchanger, and reservoir. The pump is the other block from the Duo Viva kit

n1668192827_197295_4110.jpg

Next, we have the heat exchanger. This, I bought at a Auto Zone. It is a heat exchanger for an automatic transmission.

n1668192827_194821_7746.jpg

And the reservoir is a Swiftech Micro Rev. 2

n1668192827_197297_6501.jpg

Gave it a test run, and worked great! Temps do not get above 50c under full load!

The only thing left was to find it a nice home and cool the heat exchanger with a fan

The fan was taken from a cheap laptop cooler purchased from ebay. The case was also bought on ebay...I believe it was a 13" or 14" laptop carrying case. It was attached to the back of the lcd. I used a external connector from a Evercool water cooler (I believe the WC-301) to allow the tubes to pass between the case and the block. The pump and fan are run off 2 separate usb connectors.

6255_1138040985718_1668192827_382584_2635988_n.jpg

6255_1138040705711_1668192827_382583_2427455_n.jpg

6255_1138041185723_1668192827_382585_5565476_n.jpg

Pros:
Fantastic temps
Super quiet - The hard drive is the loudest thing on this computer right now (I use the cd modular bay for a 2nd hard drive)

Cons:
Weighs more than before

Added a pic of desktop showing lappy running the Folding@Home CPU & GPU clients. As you can see from the pic, the temps are 52c for the CPU and 44c for the GPU. I'm thinking of breaking the system down to put SIIG Diamond Thermal Grease on the CPU/GPU/Chipset/Water Block. If I do, I'll take more pics.

temps.jpg

Last edited:
wow.....

always thought about it...but would never do it

serious props on the execution of the idea! (although I would never carry that thing around)

this is a very nice mod, i think it's the first watercooled laptop i've seen. it's creative, but it's not practical. you'll have to baby this thing when carrying it around so the tubes don't get caught anyway and just yank off, which sorta takes away the "portability" away from a laptop. great job for being the first though

ummm... wow... very cool... am I high right now? cause this cant be real life... just kidding... cool but crazy man, cool but crazy!

lol, awesome. I just gotta ask what the pump and fan did to the battery life though, was it a big hit?

lol, awesome. I just gotta ask what the pump and fan did to the battery life though, was it a big hit?

Not at all. The pump and fan can only use 5w max due to the limitations of the usb power (5v @ .5a)

This. This is madness.

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!! Sorry, couldn't resist :D

wow.....

always thought about it...but would never do it

serious props on the execution of the idea! (although I would never carry that thing around)

this is a very nice mod, i think it's the first watercooled laptop i've seen. it's creative, but it's not practical. you'll have to baby this thing when carrying it around so the tubes don't get caught anyway and just yank off, which sorta takes away the "portability" away from a laptop. great job for being the first though

It is still portable, however, yes not as practical. I have been thinking about a way of making the tubes not stick out as much. Unfortunately, you have to make sure there is enough slack when the lcd is open.

Completely full of win!!!
I hope you don't mind I linked this to a couple of the System Engineers I know at over Dell. Trust me, they got a kick out of the idea.

Completely full of win!!!
I hope you don't mind I linked this to a couple of the System Engineers I know at over Dell. Trust me, they got a kick out of the idea.

Absolutely! I wouldn't mind seeing a liquid cooled Alienware laptop. Just make sure they send me one for giving them the idea ;):D

Added pic of lappy running Folding@Home CPU/GPU clients and temps

Back