Linux won't see internal modem

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
I'm having trouble getting Suse Linux to see an internal modem, I was wondering how do I configure it? In wondows it is set to COM3 what would that be in Linux?

just about the only advice i can provide is to look at:
http://www.linmodems.org/

for more information about your specific card.

there are two types of internal modems, soft and hard [heh]. the soft modems rely on your computer's cpu to process the information, and there by require specific drivers to do the task. these are also called winmodems since manufactuers usually only release windows drivers. many commercial modems are winmodems becuase they are cheaper to make. recent efforts seem to have made winmodems more compatible with linux.

hard modems do the processing on the card and are pretty much os independent. there are a variety of pci hard modems, they just cost $10-$20 more than winmodems. all external modems are hard modems, and generally work great with linux [serial connections- not usb!].

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
I'm having trouble getting Suse Linux to see an internal modem, I was wondering how do I configure it? In wondows it is set to COM3 what would that be in Linux?

COM3 would be ttyS2 in Linux.

Thnks for the reponses. I had the same problem with Windows not seeing the modem until I told it which PCI slot it was in. I'll check out that site too.

Originally posted by kurt454
COM3 would be ttyS2 in Linux.

Yep.

Once you've got that, all you should have to do is *maybe* use setserial to get your modem speed(s) setup, and wvdial to setup your ppp connection ;)

Happy computing.

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
Thnks for the reponses. I had the same problem with Windows not seeing the modem until I told it which PCI slot it was in. I'll check out that site too.

If you had that kind of problem in Windows, then it's most likely a WinModem and the Linmodems link above is your best route.

With normal hardware modems, even if Windows doesnt have a correct V.90 driver, it'll install and work as a low-band modem by default.

If you can't get it working (or realize, after looking at the linmodems site, that it'll never work) and you want to get a new modem, cheap, I recomend making sure that it's supported.

I've had good luck with the Lucent/Agere chipsets in the past; the Linux drivers for them are pretty good.

Back