Linux Question...

EliteForces

Limp Gawd
Ok I'm going to go linux (mandrake 10.0) but first i thought i would clear up some questions..My first question is Is there a program where like Outlook Express on Linux?

Second, I primarily use outlook express for emails and all the emails/contacts i have are going to be backed up. Is it possible to use these backups on linux (if there is a prog like outlook express)?

Thirdly, I have a second HD other than my primary one. When i hook it up in linux it will be read right? I wont have to format that one or anything. Because thats the one im using to backup things...

1.) Yes, there are a lot of email programs for linux. Your best bets are Mozilla Thunderbird, Sylpheed, Sylpheed-claws (gtk2, more bleeding edge), and Ximian Evolution.

2.) Yes, you can import contacts and settings from outlook express into Mozilla Thunderbird. I'm pretty sure you can do it in the other clients I mentioned and others I haven't.

3.) It depends. You can hook up the hard drive and Linux will be able to see it, but the file systems present on the backup drive are important. Linux can read and write FAT32 partitions, used by WIndows 9x and XP, but it can only read NTFS partitions. Writing to NTFS in Linux is dangerous and can waste that partition.

For the third question..I have two HD's and one has windows, one's just storage..if I take the first one..put all the files i want to backup from there onto the second hd then erase windows and install on the first hd will the second one be detected on linux without having to format it..like i want to be able to view all of my backed up files in linux without having to format it cause if i have to then the files will be gone..and in that case i mite as well burn the documents to cd then..

Yes, Linux will be able to see that drive's contents without formatting.

Oh, and it's IDE right? Linux's support for SATA drives is a little lacking. IDE drives are much easier to configure.

For example, in Linux, the primary IDE master is usually /dev/hda. The primary channel IDE slave is usually /dev/hdb...

In /etc/fstab, you'd just put a line corresponding to the partition on the secondary drive, then you can mount the drive in linux...

If any of this is confusing you, it probably should if you haven't used Linux before. But when you get to that point, just post questions and I and others will help.

yes its very confusing because i havent used linux before..just thought it was better so im doing a switch over...thanx for your help man..

Back