Linux on Windows Network

Hartlove

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to set up Samba on a Mandrake 10 box that I just built today. Samba is running, I can see the share from my Win2k workstation. Now my problem is that the DHCP server here at my office is just giving my Mandrake box a random machine name. How do I specify a machine name? It's also showing up in our default domain. That's not a big problem, but I usually put all of the small servers I work on in a workgroup outside of the domain, and I don't see where I can do that here.

I know my way around our network, but I'm a developer, not IT. I spoke with one of the IT guys about it, and he was fine with me running a Linux box on the network, but that I wouldn't be able to get any support for it.

If there are any good guides on this, please point me to them. I tried google, but I'm coming up short.

Mods: If you think I might get more responses in the networking forum, please move it for me.

what are your permissions on the folder.. when i use samba.. i share ONE folder and chmod 777 it. Then i can share that folder to my windows pc's... and the windows users can write to em... also you specify a machine name in your samba.conf

I figured out that I could specify a workgroup from the samba.conf; I will take a look at setting the machine name there when I get in.

OK, I didn't realize that I would need to set a hostname in the /etc/hosts file as well as the netbiosname in the smb.conf file.

All is well now.

Back