Linux for a P166 ?

Im fairly familiar with linux but not sure what would run the best. i dont have alot of time for stup either.
what do you all reccomend?

At that point, memory is a far more important consideration than clockspeed...

How much?

Snugglebear said:
The BSDs will happily run in there.
i had bsd on my secondary machine, i had a hell of a time compiling it, is htere an install and run type thing? i use my laptop about 20 out of the 24 hours in a day so i dont have alot of time
:(

slackware would run fine on it.. i would add some extra swap if you are going to use gui stuff though

Great_Melinko said:
i had bsd on my secondary machine, i had a hell of a time compiling it, is htere an install and run type thing? i use my laptop about 20 out of the 24 hours in a day so i dont have alot of time
:(

They all have a floppy/network (ftp/nfs/etc) install, most have freely downloadable ISOs. Just find the right version and go. I wouldn't recommend doing a cvs sync and rebuild unless you understand what's involved - for about 18 months I've used a P200 as a server for my parents' house and it's scripted to do weekly cvsups and rebuilds. It's scripted because those rebuilds take about 8 hours, portsdb -Uu adds another 4-5. I prefer interactive installations of those compiled binaries, so out of all those hours I'm only on SSH maybe 20 minutes.

Back