Linux Doubles Market Share since December 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you been in a school in 20 years ?

Windows machines in schools are locked down to the point of being dumb terminals as well. What is the difference really ?

Because Windows teaches real world usage, Chrome OS does not.

Because it's a comparison of Windows v. Linux. for gaming. For gaming, Windows has on average greater speed and far better compatibility. The only reason to use Linux is for other factors not directly related to gaming (system security, customizability, etc.). A console isn't in the same race. It has less games, less options and you can't do much else with it besides games and multimedia consumption.

This argument again. It's called the long tail. Of course no one is going to play the entire games library, but a person may find a genre or theme that they specifically really like and play every game they can like that. If all you want to do is play "a game", sure, Linux is totally viable. So is the Atari 2600. If you want to play as many games as possible that you're interested in, then yeah, 99% compatibility is a pretty good goal. Otherwise, you keep running into walls half the time you find a game you're interested in playing, but can't play it due to you being on Linux. I don't need 100% game compatibility, I just need 100% game compatibility of games that I personally want to play, same as the next person. Collectively, that starts approaching 100% because different people have different tastes and want to run different games. You think if Dosbox only supported 1/3 of games out there it would be lauded the way it is?

This has always been my issue with ditching windows on any of the machines I end up actively using. I like games like Disgaea 5 that aren't always available on Linux or any other platform. WIth Java basically dying as far as my working environment goes it makes for a tough time for those of us wanting to make a change. I wish NVidia and AMD would make the Vega and 1080ti virtualization friendly, that would help a ton. I guess I could always run it under a kvm that could hide it maybe.

Still for me all my code is .net so it's kind of pointless I guess for a while until I do more .core.

The day Microsoft makes a bonafide version of Office (and all the supporting necessities, like Exchange and dotNet framework) for Linux, is when enterprise adoption would increase. Of course, that will NEVER happen, since Microsoft says "we have an OS for both workstations and servers that supports Office perfectly!", so there's no way Linux will ever reach much further into the market share. The high volume enterprise segment dictates the consumer market, since most John and Jane Doe users will prefer the same OS at home as what they are familiar with for 8-10 hours a day at work.

Linux has come a LONG way since the late 90s and early 00s (I was tinkering Mandrake 7 back then), and tinker with Mint now...but that's all it's realistically good for in the bigger picture of things: tinkering around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back