linux and 98 on one pc?

Thermite Paste

Supreme [H]ardness
is there any way i could have linux and windows 98 on a computer, and be able to switch between the os's when i boot? i already have redhat fedora core on a pc, i want to install 98 on ti as well.

I believe it's always easier to install Windows first then let linux configure the boot on it's own. Most *nix systems come with a boot loader (ie Lilo) that works alright.

Hope that helps

Brandon

ok, ill just reformat and install 98 first, and see if it works. thanks for the help.

No need to reinstall from scratch... it's just a minor issue of fixing the Linux bootloader after 98 takes over.

Hi
I didn't see what distro you were using but Mandrake will auto-detect the hdd and the os's when you install it (I am sure other distro's do too). Grub will then be able to boot either os. Just check where you install grub (i.e. if 2 hdd's in your system AND you can choose which drive you boot from then put Mandrake on the 2nd hdd, boot from that and you can go into windows/linux fine). Also, this will let you reinstall/format the windows hdd and linux will still be **fine**. I do this and I can't begin to think how much time it has saved me.

Cheers

L

i'd make sure the hard drive is partitioned the way you want it to be when you go to start load win98. win98 might try to convert the whole disk if it doesn't see a parition it likes.

you will need to re-install grub or lilo, but that is a far cry from re-installing linux.

Back