Linus Has Some Things to Say about Core i9 and X299

That we will have to wait to see, but using something like Steam survey as an example AMD has a bit to catch up. From April to may (a month after ryzen came out) the amount of AMD chips in use in steam actually went down, despite Ryzen being pushed as a gaming chip also. Amd is currently only 19% used in the gaming market compared to intel who is beating them 4 to 1. That right there tells me that there's a little bit of a value when 4 out of 5 people chose a certain product over another. And for us HEDT people we are a super small sliver of the actual practical market. Making a blanket statement that intel offers no value means their WHOLE product line. On every front right now starting from the insanely nice g4560 up to the 6950x you have a product that provides value to Most (not all) of it's user base. It's undeniable that the price of the ryzen chip is nice, and from what I've seen the performance is great. But even if I was an AMD fan I couldn't make a blanket statement that Intel provides no current value to their consumers.

When it comes to a matter of numbers, intel has a lot more chips out there than amd, and because of that the cost will go down. Its hard to say who or what will undermine who.

Hell it could be that AMD shot themselves in the foot and are charging way to little for ryzen in comparison to their R&D, and despite us as consumers feeling like it's a win theres a chance there will be no alternatives in about 3 years.

BTW I have no idea why you said apples to oranges comparison because both video cards and processors were seperated when we discussed it, and it was discussed...they weren't put int he same batch.
you gotta learn to read steam numbers then. Look at core counts and clocks, Ryzen definitely impacted. Intel numbers are largely laptops being the 2.0-3.0ghz numbers are the bulk of the owners. you can't look at totals and garner a result of specific subset.

haters gonna hate.
hes only doing what 90% of people in these kind of forums do. complaining about something he doesnt like in the medium or enthusiest realm. some even find the time to bitch about the guy himself, let alone the content. i've watched his videos on occassion for nearly 10 years. i respect him for what he's made of his channel/business. hes become a known name in the tech worl no matter the 'level' of content or experience, im impressed with what he's done with it. and hes only saying what alot of people already bitch about. i can only imagine people are jealous of his success to bitch about the guy or his channel. seems pretty fucking stupid to me.

So how do you have all the chips work on all the boards 100%, if the board does not support 100% of the features of the chips? The board would have to support all the features of all the chips out of the box in order for that to be true, or else having the chip is pointless. What is the point of buying the board if it can't support the processor you want in full?

I think that is a reason he is complaining. I think all Intel is telling thing the board makers is that all boards need to be able to use all chips, so as long as the board powers up and people can make a working computer out of it, the board is compliant. So we as consumers will just need to read up on all the chip features than all the board features to make sure we are getting what we want.

you gotta learn to read steam numbers then. Look at core counts and clocks, Ryzen definitely impacted. Intel numbers are largely laptops being the 2.0-3.0ghz numbers are the bulk of the owners. you can't look at totals and garner a result of specific subset.

"Intel provides no value" is a blanket statement and I gave a blanket response. When it comes to HEDT I think Ryzen is amazing for the people looking for an alternative, but if someone is going to make a statement that INtels whole line provides no value, I think they are only thinking about what they personally want and not the whole slew of people.

Just because a company released a decent product, which ryzen is, doesn't invalidate the whole lineup of a company.

In this whole situation though I do think I'm in a fairly unique spot. My 5960x has horrible value for me. I paid only $650 ish for it about 9 months ago, but it's barely used to its full potential by me. It's slower in games than my 5930x and 4790k even after overclock. And I don't use it. But I haven't been tempted by Ryzen any because I learned my lesson that core counts hasn't been much benefit, and if I truly wanted to mess with speed I could get a i7700k for $300 and be back up there and have a system better then ryzen or intels $1600 chip and be happy. That's the value I see. Not just an overpriced intel chip that doesn't do much for me but a whole line of products from top to bottom that is provided that allows me options.

I think that is a reason he is complaining. I think all Intel is telling thing the board makers is that all boards need to be able to use all chips, so as long as the board powers up and people can make a working computer out of it, the board is compliant. So we as consumers will just need to read up on all the chip features than all the board features to make sure we are getting what we want.

Which is butt stupid and confusing as hell. To get all the same features of an i7 but with more cores and a few more lanes, you have to pay through the nose. There is no value here.

Which is precisely why I said it defeats the purpose of having different performance/budget tier boards. The sheer amount of confusion would either result in people shying away from the platform altogether, or just throwing in the towel and getting the most expensive board available because it will most likely be the only board that will support all the features. Someone earlier in this thread called it for what it is: DLC as hardware.

On the other end of the spectrum, motherboard makers have a reputation to keep, so they would just make a handful of boards that support everything out of the box chip wise, and the only differences will be inputs/connections. Because of that, there will be virtually no price difference to the consumer. So no matter what, you're going to end up buying what's at least considered a high end board, at least in terms of price.

Either is just nuttier than squirrel turds.

Which is butt stupid and confusing as hell. To get all the same features of an i7 but with more cores and a few more lanes, you have to pay through the nose. There is no value here.

HEDT's were never about being valuable, to me its been one of the biggest money dumps outside of a select few.

Maybe AMD can change this? who knows, if their HEDT is worth it, I'll trade in my RyZen rig and build a ThreadRipper. But right now for my work station I am eyeing the 12-core on a X299.

I think Intel is stepping carefully, and like any company they are probably 'testing the waters' to see what the market will bear.
HEDT consumers have enabled them for years in that regard, so Intel probably feels like they can try the same with RAID hardware and I'm hopeful relevant consumers are more aware and common-sensed, and smack them down for trying.

I'm against Intel for the same reasons I'm against Apple, their culture and jacked MSRPs - because they know their fans will buy it.

Then it's just up to sweet talking the OEMs, and Intel is great at faking it til they make it, and talking their products up a lot more than they should, but eventually delivering 'close enough' to expectations that it's a wash.

It's just 2003 all over again, whoever has the best out at the moment I upgrade gets the money, sheesh..

I remember attending an Athlon Boston event back in the day, a friend and I were so unlucky with the raffle giving away free chips - I had seven numbers +-5 of mine called, including the ones immediately above and below. I was so bummed!
But it was a great time, AMD really trounced on a sleeping at the wheel Intel.
Which is what I hope for in today's times, though AMD has little chance in the long run simply because Intel has money to burn to stay ahead....by the facts or with the lies.
But, with AMD 'forcing' Intel to acknowledge a truly multi-cored, multi-threaded world, we should see developers begin to adapt and utilize those extra resources even more than they already do.
Then, it won't just be about single-core speeds, but how the entire chip is designed to work together and there, I'm hopeful AMD will shine.

Thinking about it, i had a i7 920 for 8 years, and only upgraded because I wanted newer features, not because of processing power. Intel has been lazy and milking consumers for years and so happy to see AMD finally step up.

I still have my i7-920! Going on 9 years and showing its age in a gaming sense, which is all it does aside from stream with OBS.
Am so torn right now because I desperately want to upgrade so I can play newer games, but with so much 'evolved' hardware around the corner, it's impossible for me to pull the trigger.
I should just buy a cheap bare minimum (pre-built :sick::sick:) rig for under a grand and run with it for a few years until things settle in the Core War (I thought I was original with this, nope!), but I want now! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I still have my i7-920! Going on 9 years and showing its age in a gaming sense, which is all it does aside from stream with OBS.
Am so torn right now because I desperately want to upgrade so I can play newer games, but with so much 'evolved' hardware around the corner, it's impossible for me to pull the trigger.
I should just buy a cheap bare minimum (pre-built :sick::sick:) rig for under a grand and run with it for a few years until things settle in the Core War (I thought I was original with this, nope!), but I want now! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

920 was an amazing chip. I sold it to another [H] member for 200 USD. still tons of power. I upgraded to a 6700k Jan 2016 so I got some solid use out of it so far. I am glad I upgraded but man do I wish I had an excuse to upgrade to a ryzen 7 or threadripper. I still might go threadripper since I stream 6 days a week. the 6700k is just fine but I could then turn the 6700k into a dedicated stream pc or something.

Back