Linksys WRT54G Problems, Help please!

dotZIP

Limp Gawd
I just moved to a person's basement. He has DSL connected with PPPOE. I set up my router on his connection so I can get the Internet on my computer downstairs.

It seems to work except for the fact that some sites work while others won't. MSN Messenger refuses to connect, microsoft sites in general are slow, there are some other sites that I can't seem to connect to either, like my bank's online banking or my university's email service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

If you weren't connected behind a router, do those sites you mentioned work fine?

Perhaps some more incite into his setup would help. Does he have a modem thats plugged into another router doing PPPoE or is it just the modem? Does he have a switch plugged in to give NATed DHCP'ed IP addresses? Are you doing the PPPoE authentication with your router or as he set yours up as a bridge?

His DSL modem is plugged into my router, which goes into his computer and goes to mine via wireless. PPPoE is done with my router. There are no switches, just a DSL modem, a router, his computer and my computer.

Can you just use just the modem to connect to the internet? That way you can see if the router is causing your problems.

It is the router causing the problems. With just the modem, those sites work fine.

is the router hading you its address as the dns server or the two supplied by the isP?

I just called Linksys today, turns out, I had to change the MTU from auto to 1440, I guess the ISP was being weird

not weird. MS stuff breaks with the MTU at 1500 for some reason.
known issue!

dotZIP said:
I just called Linksys today, turns out, I had to change the MTU from auto to 1440, I guess the ISP was being weird

Ah, heh. I had a similar prob like that when I was using Verizon.

Back