Linked: GTX can be discontinued as early as mid-august.

Original source: Firingsquad forum http://forums.firingsquad.com/firingsquad/board/message?board.id=hardware&message.id=42089

dash2k4 said:
Even before the R520 sees the light of day, the 7800GTX is going to be retired, according to some sources of mine. What will replace it will be either a G7x (the rumored Ultra version) or a G71 in late August. The G71 is basically an overclocked G70, while the G7x will be the one with 32 pipes. For the mid-level market, nVidia will offer the G72 (16 pipes) and G72GT (20 pipes). The GT version will be a little more powerful than the 6800Ultra. The G72 series will start hitting the market in August. Pricing will be similar to the original 6800Ultra and 6600 launch prices. Again, I get these from a trusted source and it's up to you whether or not you want to believe it, but he hasn't been wrong yet. I'm a little surprised by the GTX going out the door so soon. Maybe its price will drop further with the arrival of the newer stuff, so we can all get a good deal on this no matter what. As August is only a few days away, we'll see how things turn out.

If this turns out to be true, I'm upgrading for sure but I'm also writing a long ass complaint for sure. Losing 300 bucks in less than a month, isn't that great? Oh well I'm the sucker in end wanting the speed. :D

i dubt they would bother to come out with a prodict, make it for a month or 2 and then discontinue it....who knows

i'm sorry but that just sounds retarded.

Where is the business sense in making a card, only to discontinue it after just a few months.

no

freaking

way

I think it's ridiculous too, but I'm not going to totally exclude the possibility of it happening from my mind, just so that if it indeed happens the impact won't be as heavy. :D

Im an ATi person.. but i gota give this generation to Nvidia. Even if ATi releases the r520 as scheduled, and is better than the "Ultra", Nvidia would be so ahead in sales in the high end range

I love how rumors trickle down the chain... first some guy on some random forum says "a reliable source" gives him some proprietary information, then a bunch of people on that forum start arguing... then someone here links it and we start arguing. over something ultimately inconsequential. don't get me wrong, i have 7800gtx so i hope they don't discontinue it, but i don't care to argue over something that dubiously credible.

They only way this would be true is if the R520 is really a beast. I must say my experience with the GTX is that it is so powerfull, that for the first time I dont feel the need to upgrade at all even if a 32 piper rears its head.

Zinn said:
I love how rumors trickle down the chain... first some guy on some random forum says "a reliable source" gives him some proprietary information, then a bunch of people on that forum start arguing... then someone here links it and we start arguing. over something ultimately inconsequential. don't get me wrong, i have 7800gtx so i hope they don't discontinue it, but i don't care to argue over something that dubiously credible.

Yay I'm a "someome that links it". :D

Kristo said:

Where is the business sense in making a card, only to discontinue it after just a few months.

no

freaking

way
The worst part is that some people actually consider buying it.

I also heard that ATI was coming out with a new card too,it will be called the R520. It is suppose to be available July 2005........................

Mojo said:
The worst part is that some people actually consider buying it.
This coming from someone with such good specs? Someone with a damn nice PC bitching about something faster that other people get :p

Zinn said:
This coming from someone with such good specs? Someone with a damn nice PC bitching about something faster that other people get :p

Ya I agree. iPenis envy at it's best.

I dont think nvidia is likely to discontinue the 7800 gtx, but rather release the higher end model and hopefully lower the price of the gtx to compensate.

CMAN said:
I also heard that ATI was coming out with a new card too,it will be called the R520. It is suppose to be available July 2005........................

can you not backhand slap ATI in every thread? I think you've pretty made your point. Card had no release date, never has was never suppose to be available anywhere. Get a life.

CMAN said:
Not really,just releasing a card will be amazing for ATI..........

CMAN said:
Z is the last letter,is this a sign of their future...

CMAN said:
Any SLi set up you build will beat the card you have. Dual 6800 cards will beat the single R520 coming out also.

CMAN said:
Ain't imagination grand,where would ATI customers be without a good one..........

and my favorite:

CMAN said:
It's a good thing too,a lot of people think they know it all..............

take your own comment, look at yourself and what you've posted about ATI.

Kristo said:

no

freaking

way

Not even a few months. I've had mine maybe three weeks or so. The card came out June 27th If I am not mistaken.

That why if I buy a7800 gtx it would be an evga because of the step up program.

I can't see as retiring the 7800GTX as being feasible and logical. If it won't be their top of the line in a few months, so be it. But I doubt they will abandon it. Hell, even the 6200 is still being made...

Skrying said:
Still think if that was the case Empty we would have known long ago.

Well...it would make sense wouldn't it? That would explain how G70 yeilds were good enough to launch so fast. And why the transistor count is insane for a 24 pipe card. This is the exact move ATi planned for last year.

The only shred of evidence to the contrary is that the maker of rivatuner can't find any masked pipes...but just cuz he can't find them doesn't mean they're not there...

;)

I wouldn't be surprised if the GTX is a short-lived SKU. There is a lot more power in the G70 core than Nvidia released with the GTX - the single slot cooling is the most obvious indication of that.

Also, DaveB hinted that the GTX may just be "failed" Ultra cores that they're selling while stockpiling faster chips. The GTX is fast but I don't think Nvidia would rely on it to go up against R520.

I have one but it's an Evga so if something show up soon I'll just step up :)

Even before the R520 sees the light of day, the 7800GTX is going to be retired, according to some sources of mine.
He most know a guy at the Inq. :rolleyes:

SKU is stock keeping unit or something...he means it's not gonna be around very long :p

I somewhat hope this happens. I went with eVGA in case this kinda shit went down :p

i'll be very mad if this happens, I can see it happening though.

The 7800gtx is very nice, but then ofcourse Nvidia has something up their sleeve.

i think the step up program is u can return ur current card and pay the price difference and they'll give u the new one.

I hope if anything is going to happen does by August 14th when I want to order my new pc but it will probbly happen right after I orders.

Even if the GTX is shortlived and something better comes out, I thought it was understood that it is beyond any current software and you really couldn't run today's or the near future's games any better than they can be run on it? If this is the case, I think the people suffering from iPenis insecurity would be the 7800gtx owners, who would no longer have the best card, even though they could still (for the most part) satisfy both their quality and performance needs in games. But what do I know, I'm just a n00bie who can't afford a GTX anyways.

yea if a new card is release within 90 days of your purchase you can get the value you paid for your card and pay the diff from evga. good stuff

runbird05 said:
Even if the GTX is shortlived and something better comes out, I thought it was understood that it is beyond any current software and you really couldn't run today's or the near future's games any better than they can be run on it? If this is the case, I think the people suffering from iPenis insecurity would be the 7800gtx owners, who would no longer have the best card, even though they could still (for the most part) satisfy both their quality and performance needs in games. But what do I know, I'm just a n00bie who can't afford a GTX anyways.

It is beyond any software at 1024x768, not at 2048x1536, and it just so happens some people are reaching that resolution.

iPenis insecurity? Sorry never heard of it, but I do know that I won't be happy when an expensive product I bought is discontinued in less than 2 months, is there something wrong that I shall feel that way? I don't think so. But I'll eventually get over it.

Yes you do have a n00bie title, but that doesn't cover the lack of respect you have for others.

your first and most important mistake is using a forum post thats got 0 credability. The second mistake was assuming it to be true.

Shifra said:
your first and most important mistake is using a forum post thats got 0 credability. The second mistake was assuming it to be true.

I don't think there is a mistake, it's a forum for discussion so I brought some information over from another forum, whether it's true or not.

I never said I assumed it to be true, I said I will not exclude the possibility of it happening, because it might happen, and it might not happen. Assuming it to be true is not right, assuming it to be completely fake is also not right.

I don't really see it happening unless ATi actually releases the R520 and it turns out to be more than 25% faster than the 7800GTX. At that point, I wouldn't be surprised if nVidia released a newer faster card. Short of that happening, we are probably safe.

I think with the sales of the 7800GTX being fairly strong right now, they'll milk it for awhile longer. I don't see them replacing the 7800GTX in less than 5 months from now.

If GTX is the "failed pipes" version of an ultra and it is being sold for $599... That is sooo! evil business tactic : *(. I suppose they need to make money off of the huge R&D costs, but gosh! For something that very likely, very soon won't be the top of the line, it bothers me to think they would charge that much, and just a few months later say.. "yeah we got a card 10-20-30% better, for the same price you paid for the ones that didn't make the cut". Then again, its everyone elses deal if they decide to jump on the "latest&greatest".

Kristo said:

Like the 5800 Ultra?

Back