LG L246W

I just picked me up one of these bad boys on Sunday from Bestbuy.

I'm sad to say there is ONE stuck pixel. :( I tried to use software to "energize" the pixel but it doesn't work. I'll have to try the rubbing fix tomorrow. The pixel is in the upper left corner about 3" down 5" over.

Should I exchange it if I'm unsuccessful in fixing the pixel? After all I did spend an extra $120+ for the luxury of exchanging until I get a perfect monitor right?

Also, how do I check for backlight bleed?

So far the monitor looks good though, will have to calibrate it and do some playing when I have more time and not coughing my lungs out. :p

I'm sad to say there is ONE stuck pixel. :( I tried to use software to "energize" the pixel but it doesn't work. I'll have to try the rubbing fix tomorrow. The pixel is in the upper left corner about 3" down 5" over.

Should I exchange it if I'm unsuccessful in fixing the pixel? After all I did spend an extra $120+ for the luxury of exchanging until I get a perfect monitor right?

Also, how do I check for backlight bleed?

So far the monitor looks good though, will have to calibrate it and do some playing when I have more time and not coughing my lungs out. :p

Oh noes! Stuck pixel... I would say yes, you have every right to exchange it for a display without the stuck pixel.

Question: what exactly is the "rubbing fix" (sounds self-explanatory, but I thought I'd ask)?

For backlight bleed, I think the easiest check is to look at the monitor when it's not displaying anything and just turned on. Move your head from side to side and see if the "black brightness" so to speak is brighter on one side than the other or something along those lines. I think on some older Dell's the black was brighter on the left side than on the right but I also think they fixed that. My 245wp seems to be uniform all the way across when I view it with just the backlight on - it seems to hard to test with an image on the screen.

Ok, perhaps silly question, but if you can't notice and bleeding from using it, why would you go after looking for bleeding?

Ok, perhaps silly question, but if you can't notice and bleeding from using it, why would you go after looking for bleeding?
Mostly so that you're not surprised later on if you finally are displaying an application that has black around the edges. For instance, if you're watching a movie with black bars on the top and bottom and in a dark room, bleeding in the corners might be distracting.

But I agree, though -- if you can only see something under extremely specific conditions, and even then it's only barely noticeable, IMO it's probably not worth returning if you really like everything else about it.

after 1 week and half i noticed i have a small almost un noticeable you have to really look

stuck pixel on lite green its off center of the display towards the right little

thing is i check the display in teh store and me and the guy there didn;t even see it
when i bought and i just noticed it like 3 days ago
should i bring it back ? you can't see it when the monitors is on you only see it if there is a black background and you have to really look this monitor has like no black lite bleed and ive really liked it so far
but iam scared i will get it a worse one

after 1 week and half i noticed i have a small almost un noticeable you have to really look

stuck pixel on lite green its off center of the display towards the right little

thing is i check the display in teh store and me and the guy there didn;t even see it
when i bought and i just noticed it like 3 days ago
should i bring it back ? you can't see it when the monitors is on you only see it if there is a black background and you have to really look this monitor has like no black lite bleed and ive really liked it so far
but iam scared i will get it a worse one

I'd return it man, you pay'd enough for it, it should be perfect.

I thought this was incredibly comical so I just have to post it.

here is the response i received from LG support to my Email inquiry from Saturday:

"We would love to provide assistance regarding your product inquiry. However, you have reached the Customer Interactive Center of LG Electronics AL, Inc. We provide customer support for products made for and sold in the United States. Regretfully, we do not have information or specifications regarding sales and service for products manufactured for sale or use in markets outside of the United States."

LOL ...this was even included in the reply....

-----------Customer Details------------
Name : XXXXXXXXXX
Street :
City :
State :
Zip Code :
Telephone # :
Country/Region : U.S.A.
E-mail : [email protected]
-------------------------------------------------

I returned the monitor to BB this morning. I miss 24 inches of goodness already... 2407WFP are on back order... Damn you LG!

My goodness. That's so horrible it's almost hilarious. Someone else better have a better experience with their support or else LG's support rating is going to be down the tubes.

You know what, I think for the sake of seeing how good of an experience I get, I'm going to try emailing them AND calling them too. Since you had such a horrible time I want to see if I can duplicate that. If so, it's unfortunately a bad mark.

That really sucks. I'll report back on how things go for me... I don't really have any problems with my display but I'll still ask questions and see what happens.

By the way - can you just get a different LG from Best Buy to see if it's better? Or are you gonna switch over to Dell after such a horrible support session?

My goodness. That's so horrible it's almost hilarious. Someone else better have a better experience with their support or else LG's support rating is going to be down the tubes.

You know what, I think for the sake of seeing how good of an experience I get, I'm going to try emailing them AND calling them too. Since you had such a horrible time I want to see if I can duplicate that. If so, it's unfortunately a bad mark.

That really sucks. I'll report back on how things go for me... I don't really have any problems with my display but I'll still ask questions and see what happens.

By the way - can you just get a different LG from Best Buy to see if it's better? Or are you gonna switch over to Dell after such a horrible support session?

BestBuy was out of that model when I went back. Ya I already ordered the Dell, atleast with dell support you know what to expect. My main concern was if something went wrong with the LG monitor down the road, within my 3 year Manufacturer warranty... I didnt want to have to deal with LG support... Also when I purchased the monitor at BB, they said they didnt offer an extended warranty. I asked why, but the clerk didnt know. Meaning if something went wrong I would have to deal with LG support.

A major selling point for me when deciding to order the 2407 was the fact that I could extend the warranty to 5 years (advanced exchange) for only 50$ US. I have RMA'd stuff with Dell before and the process believe it or not is quite easy and fast with the next business day delivery of the replacement. (That is after you get through thier horrid call center lines and explain your issue several times.)

But i did want the LG for its HDMI.... but i can live without it. Hopefully you'll have a better experience with LG than I did.

i dunno i think iam gonna keep it
i can't even see it anymore or remember where it was
i can't see it all maybe iam going crazy

i like this monitor
it has all the inputs i want
looks nice no blacklight bleed
excellent contrast
love 24inchs
so does my girlfriend

I thought this was incredibly comical so I just have to post it.

here is the response i received from LG support to my Email inquiry from Saturday:

"We would love to provide assistance regarding your product inquiry. However, you have reached the Customer Interactive Center of LG Electronics AL, Inc. We provide customer support for products made for and sold in the United States. Regretfully, we do not have information or specifications regarding sales and service for products manufactured for sale or use in markets outside of the United States."

LOL ...this was even included in the reply....

-----------Customer Details------------
Name : XXXXXXXXXX
Street :
City :
State :
Zip Code :
Telephone # :
Country/Region : U.S.A.
E-mail : [email protected]
-------------------------------------------------

I returned the monitor to BB this morning. I miss 24 inches of goodness already... 2407WFP are on back order... Damn you LG!

Welp, looks like I will be getting the NEC LCD2470WNX-BK now.. It's the only one left on my list after reading this. :D

Interesting... I discovered a hot green subpixel about 3 days after I bought mine in the SAME spot! It only shows up well when I have the brightness turned way up (which is rare) and am looking at a light colored screen. I tried software and rubbing, but it didn't go away. I decided that since I can only see it occasionally, and it doesn't bother me when I do, that it isn't worth my time to take it back. But, of course, YMMV.:cool:

Oh, and I found that mine required a LOT of calibration - the supplied ICM file is nowhere close. The color corrections in LG's forteManager work okay, though.

i dunno i think iam gonna keep it
i can't even see it anymore or remember where it was
i can't see it all maybe iam going crazy

i like this monitor
it has all the inputs i want
looks nice no blacklight bleed
excellent contrast
love 24inchs
so does my girlfriend

ya i shoulda said replace/exchange it if you can, the monitor is still nice regardless of my experiences. But you shouldn't have dead pixels! :eek: One dead pixel would haunt me forever.... but as you can see im picky.

Anyone have an Xbox 360 hooked up to this? I'm going to be getting this monitor in a few months and am curious if 1080p works with the VGA cable.

I don't want to have to buy the Elite just for the HDMI output.

Aye. Stuck pixel plague. It's not as bad as you think. Kind of like scratching your car; you payed so much for something to be 'perfect', and when you find out it isn't, you're crushed... or dealing with death;).I have a 2407 and it has a stuck pixel (one sub-pixel dead so it does some colours right). I actually lost sleep over it for the first few weeks after discovery. Contemplated returning it until I got a perfect one, but it seemed like those who did this had to do it for an average of 5 times. Also, my panel was otherwise perfect except for that one pixel 1" up, 4" right from the bottom left corner. Rubbing/software didn't help.

Fastforward to 2 months later: I don't even know it's there anymore. Only people talking about it seems to remind me. If it isn't dead center or if you don't notice it, just keep it. Honestly, the panel tech isn't perfect yet, so you'll be upgrading in a few years anyways. Don't think you won't cause when I got my 24", I thought it was the last I'd ever get. Not anymore.

Has anyone tried checking out this page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ to test how well this monitor performs?

After some calibration attempts with QuickGamma, I still can't seem to see more than up to square 9 or so in that 20 square image test, nor was I successful with the Gamma Test. I still see squares within squares in the Gamma Test:confused:. Anyone else have any luck? Or is this the limitation of LCDs?

As far as the rubbing fix for stuck pixel, just google it, or check out http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor
. I still haven't had the guts to rub my monitor yet...don't want to damage it anymore. :p

Has anyone tried checking out this page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ to test how well this monitor performs?

After some calibration attempts with QuickGamma, I still can't seem to see more than up to square 9 or so in that 20 square image test, nor was I successful with the Gamma Test. I still see squares within squares in the Gamma Test:confused:. Anyone else have any luck? Or is this the limitation of LCDs?

I think I visited this page a while ago. In those 20 squares, I can faintly see some in the first row and can see a few before 9 - but all the lights are off right now so it's easy. As far as the other squares, ah, there are a number of them sorta diagonally in a row that blend together in the middle. I think that's how it's supposed to be?

What are your color settings on your monitor? What do you have things set at?

[edit] Ah, I read the directions. I think my brightness was a little high in the gamma area. It blends pretty well all around but on the far left side I can see squares within squares on some. I will have to tweak around and see what happens.

lol I just emailed LG to see if I could get support outside the U.S. , I guess thats that. :p

Hello,

could you guys give me a statement concerning the sharpness of text for the LG 246?
Is the text absoluty sharp or a littlebit fuzzy?
This would be my only point of hesitation, otherwise its an awesome display.

Thanks.

Hello,

could you guys give me a statement concerning the sharpness of text for the LG 246?
Is the text absoluty sharp or a littlebit fuzzy?
This would be my only point of hesitation, otherwise its an awesome display.

Thanks.

i think the sharpness is normal. if you turn off ClearType text smoothing in windows, very sharp. this monitor looks best with the ClearType feature turned off.

Thanks for your reply.

You said its normal? You've ment normal for a 24" with DVI-Input or "normal" in case of saying, it's "just ok, but could be better"?

I had a glossy screen before and the text appeared absolutely nice and clear to see, although in smaller fonts.

Then I had the Samsung 245B and the text was surely ok, but not comparitive to the other one (was a HP 2207).

Therefore I like a great sharpness when regarding text passages.

yes.. through dvi.... when i used a standard vga cable, everything was blurry, text, pictures, everything. on my nec 19" things looks fine. this is on an old 9500 pro board though. x600 pro had similar results, but it's vga was clearer.

yeah the text on my gossy nec 19" looks great. the lg has a semi-glossy coating to it. some say it makes colors look more vibrant. than the matte coating.

i can't really compare very well with my other monitors, since i love using ClearType :p
but all my other monitors (NEC LCD1970GX (vga), NEC LCD2470WNX (dvi), SAMSUNG 215TW dvi) did a better job with ClearType on. very sharp. the LG looks kinda blurry at the edges with ClearType on, but looks good with it off.

also, on all my displays over 19", the output has been blurry on vga :(
all my more recent cards don't have vga.

Anyone try using the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2 to calibrate their L246W? In advanced mode, if I set a target luminance of 120 or 140 cd/m2 with Eye-One Match 3.6.1, I end up setting the brightness to around 17-21 and contrast to 100, which makes the display too dark with terrible crushed blacks. I had better results when I turned the red, green, and blue channels down to around 60 each, at which point I was able to set brightness in the 50s and contrast in the 80s. Am I better off just resetting the OSD settings to default and running it through easy mode?

Anyone have an Xbox 360 hooked up to this? I'm going to be getting this monitor in a few months and am curious if 1080p works with the VGA cable.

I don't want to have to buy the Elite just for the HDMI output.

I have my 360 hooked up through hdmi and it has 1:1 idk about vga if you want me to post some pics of it i could but i only have a webcam so its not going to look really good.

I just wanted to post on here and share my experience. I got this monitor last Saturday from Fry's Electronics, and I price matched BB for $629.99, so I got a good deal. Bought a better quality 9' DVI-HDMI cable at the same time. I was pleasantly surprised with this monitor. No backlight bleed, no dead pixels, and the color is just awesome. However, like all good things, it came to an end. Was playing FEAR just now and all of a sudden the monitor started displaying a weird type of static, and it would change colors depending on the background. Luckily I know the keyboard shortcuts to shut down the computer, and I swapped back to my old monitor that I am on right now. I tried resetting the cable, power off and unplugging the monitor, but to no avail. Luckily I'm within the 30 day return and I'll be taking it back to Fry's to exchange tonight. I hope that this is not a common issue, as if it is then I might just consider returning it and buying something else.

Well, it looks like it's back to working now. I had my other monitor plugged in and the LG turned off for a while, and now it seems to be ok. I'm not sure if it was the monitor, but I'm also exploring the possibility that my video card had overheated and was just messed up. I'm gonna keep it for now, and if it does it again I'll see if I can narrow it down. I'm really leaning towards it being the video card's fault though. I had been playing FEAR for a while when it did it, and when I still had the game paused and trying to figure it out, when I rebooted the monitor it would correctly display the LG startup logo, so I dunno.

ya that was your video card overheating
i play fear on this monitor with a 8800gts and i never experienceed that
i love playing fear on this monitor with it all calibrated

also, on all my displays over 19", the output has been blurry on vga :(
all my more recent cards don't have vga.

edit: i just got my Westinghouse 37w3 today and i can get 1920x1080@60Hz just fine over VGA, DVI , and HDMI on my x1900XT and 9500 PRO. no blurryness over vga at all... strange... not sure what i did wrong with the other monitors.

XeeN said:
Looks to me like it's drawing ahead of the CRT. It seems like the next frames were drawn "upwards" on the LCD rather than down. There is also the possibility that the 68 was from the last frame.
faster.jpg
I've encountered that myself while testing other monitors. That's tearing caused by mirroring the displays. I can tell because the tearing is always in the same area, and I never get that when I'm not mirroring the displays.

Also, the timer you're using doesn't update often enough. There should never be more than a 17 ms difference between two frames on the same display.

The test Jim did seems more accurate. It shows 1-2 frames of lag.

Just bought this beastie yesterday after months of drooling over it. The monitor is great and exceeded my expectations thus far, it does run a bit warm, however I should also add that all of the other 24 inch monitors were running just as warm if not warmer. I am seriously exploring some cooling options but hard to find any soo far. Bear in mind that 24 inch panels are running at around 100 watts compared to 19 inch panels running well under 50 watts.

Like the other poster, I have bought an aftermarket HDMI to DVI cable and I see a remarkable difference in the quality and clarity of colors and text since making this change. The aftermarket cable has more pins on the dvi connector than the included adapter that came with the monitor and is better shielded, thicker than the stock one LG provided, a good investment to say the least.

I am still experimenting with different resolutions to see which ones I like best, 1920x1200 native is not one of them, sharp for looking but not good for reading ROFL. Other resolutions between 1280 and 1680 range seem to work well.
Im just not one of those more is better people when it comes to 1920x1200 resolution and yes I do have 20/20 vision, I intend to keep it that way too lol.

I have had NO problems with the monitor on standby although it does take a second longer to wake up than my 19 inch monitor did it still wakes up with no problems so I cannot relate to what others have said about this issue, perhaps their computer hardware has something to do with it.

One this is for sure folks, if you wanna go 24inches and above you need a powerful video card and not some oldie but goodie or budget offering with a turbo cache, they arent going to cut it and could overheat from rendering ALL of those extra pixels at WUXGA native.

I would also add that VGA and cheap dvi to hdmi cables are also going to take a toll on image quality, sharpness etc. BUY A GOOD AFTERMARKET CABLE

A good analogy here might be the purchase of a Mercedes......would you buy something that nice and park it out on the street.

How you hook your monitor up and what you hook it up to are going to effect the end product that you see on your shiny new screen so keep this in mind while you are shopping at stores or reading reviews.

Based on my eperiences soo far with this great monitor I would venture to say that anyone making the move up from a smaller screen will find a 24 inch takes some time to get used to and will take some tweaking to get everything the way you want it and find a resolution that is right for you and how they look in the store will in no way compare to how they will look at home on your desk especially if you are moving from a 4:3 lcd or crt to your very first widescreen.

Great viewing angles, great color, games play very good not noticing any ghosting, OH YEAH the LG 246 does not suffer the input lag issues that plague other 24 inch panels either. NO banding, No excessive light leakage ( all lcd's have leakage) the back lighting is very even.

When shopping best buy, truthfully you will not notice much of any difference in picture quality between different lcd panels on display and always check the lcd panels settings as you may think well brand a over here looks better than brand b next to it, they may be set at different contrast, brightness etc. It is also difficult to judge the lcds viewing angles at a store display

Another nice feature of the LG246 is that the bezel is just plain dull black, not some distracting silver or a shiny piano black finish, those shiny piano black bezels pick up ALOT of distracting reflections. I am glad that LG chose function over form in their design that does not have any shiny black distractions or finger smudges.

Like the other poster, I have bought an aftermarket HDMI to DVI cable and I see a remarkable difference in the quality and clarity of colors and text since making this change. The aftermarket cable has more pins on the dvi connector than the included adapter that came with the monitor and is better shielded, thicker than the stock one LG provided, a good investment to say the least.

This is puzzling to me. Unless it is bad enough to actually drop bits (which it seems would result in more drastic issues like screen corruption, loss of connection, etc.) one digital cable should be just as good as another.

My only complaint is that it takes so long to acquire a signal from power on. It takes almost 10 seconds from power on to actually displaying a picture (I'm on HDMI).

My only complaint is that it takes so long to acquire a signal from power on. It takes almost 10 seconds from power on to actually displaying a picture (I'm on HDMI).
I notice this too, and it's one of the few complaints I have with this monitor (although I don't think my delay is 10 seconds, maybe 5 at the most). I have a Dell 1905fp next to it and it comes on a good 3 seconds earlier. The LG is so slow that I when I turn on my computer the screens giving me the opportunity to go into the BIOS or the RAID menu are already gone before the monitor turns on. It's not a huge problem for me, since I have a second monitor anyway, but it is rather annoying and it's something to be aware of if you're planning on building a new system and you don't have another monitor handy.

I'll also second that musicinmybrain has it right: switching DVI cables will not improve picture sharpness or color quality. I really don't mean to be rude to conghelach, because the rest of his impressions of this monitor are spot on with mine, but frankly I don't believe for a second that an aftermarket cable made any perceptible difference. Sorry, but this sounds like a case of the placebo effect to me. By the way, the DVI cable he bought has more pins then the one that came with the monitor because it is a dual-link cable -- since this monitor only has a maximum resolution of WUXGA, which is within the bandwidth carried by single-link DVI, the extra pins are not utilized at all, as per the DVI spec. This isn't to say you can't use a dual-link cable with this monitor, but it's not necessary and won't give any advantage to a single-link cable.

I will agree that the cables that came with the monitor are surprisingly thin, and I can understand why you might want to buy a thicker cable if you're afraid that your cable might become damaged. But believe me, if this happens, you'll see major distortion on the screen or lose the signal altogether -- you will certainly not get minor deviations in color or sharpness as you would with a lower quality VGA cable.

I am going to assume that since LG will not indicate what color depth this thing has anywhere on its website, and that the FAQ indirectly hints that faster response time equates with 6-bit panel technology, that this is in fact a 6-bit panel rather than an 8-bit one.

I would expect there to be significant color banding unless there is some large improvement in technology that hides lack of color reproduction.

Any more detail on this?

It seems to be a nice panel from the reviews in this thread, but 6-bit would pretty much be a deal breaker on a nice 24 inch screen.

I am going to assume that since LG will not indicate what color depth this thing has anywhere on its website, and that the FAQ indirectly hints that faster response time equates with 6-bit panel technology, that this is in fact a 6-bit panel rather than an 8-bit one.

I would expect there to be significant color banding unless there is some large improvement in technology that hides lack of color reproduction.

Any more detail on this?

It seems to be a nice panel from the reviews in this thread, but 6-bit would pretty much be a deal breaker on a nice 24 inch screen.
The LG uses the same AU Optronics panel found in the BenQ FP241W. It is a P-MVA panel, and it is 8-bit, not 6-bit. I have not noticed any color banding since I've owned this monitor.

Back