LG G Pad GPE

quadnad

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi All -

I'm in the market for an 8 inch android tablet, and am very strict that the device needs to be of the Nexus flavor. I've only owned Nexus devices (both phone and tablet), and have a severe allergy to manufacturer skins.

The LG G Pad GPE seems to tick all the right boxes, but isn't technically a Nexus device. My question is this: around Thanksgiving time all the Nexus 8 rumors heated up, only for it to be revealed that the G Pad GPE was the rumored device. Are there still expectations of an official Nexus 8 sometime soon? Any links you can provide would be much appreciated, as I wouldn't want to jump on the G Pad just to find an official Nexus dropping soon after.

I've never even heard of the Nexus 8. What I have heard about is the Nexus 10, which has seemingly imploded into fairy dust.

I get the impression that the G Pad will be just fine since the Google Play version runs Vanilla Android.

The LG GPE should work. There are some discussions at xda developers site in the LG G Pad forum.

I have the LG G Pad non GPE. It is a great tablet. Perfect size and great screen.

Thanks guys - effectively the GPE version is a Nexus device (as close as I care about anyway), but my real concern is whether there is an impending release of an official Nexus 8 that might be different hardware/price wise.

It's a difficult question to ask since one can never be sure with rumors, but I thought I'd poll the [H] peeps. All the Nexus 8 rumors seemed to stop after the G Pad GPE was released.

I don't think there will a Nexus 8 any time soon. The LG G pad was believed to be the Nexus 8 which ended up to not be true.

I got my G pad for 300 at best buy. The "pure" google experience was not that important to me, especially for an extra $50. This tablet is already expensive enough.

It's funny, part of me questions why Google would do a Nexus 8 at all - isn't the screen size too close to the Nexus 7? Then I think about how it might potentially be valuable for them to have a direct physical competitor to the iPad Mini, and that they ultimately don't care if they cannibalize other Nexus device sales as long as someone buys a Nexus...

Back