Let the 6970 Rumors Begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would bet money that the 6970 is NOT faster than the 580. Cheaper yes, so they might have better performance / price ratio but faster? No.

Anyone making performance predictions without having seen the product reviews or buying something without looking at all the available products in the market is quite frankly an idiot, a fanboy or both.

Anyone making performance predictions without having seen the product reviews or buying something without looking at all the available products in the market is quite frankly an idiot, a fanboy or both.
Meh... It's a rumor thread.
There's 855 replies of idiots and fanboys.

an idiot fanboi? lol...

Here is my prediction based on the latest info/rumors from overseas. 6970 performance will be a mixed bag and will heavily rely on tweaked drivers in attempts to get the upper hand on the GTX580.
Due to this AMD really does not have a choice but to keep prices below the GTX580, and not just a little below but $50-$100 below.

I'd be surprised if it's released tomorrow. Did you all forget AMD officially said they would be released sometime during week 50 of this year? That means between the 13th and 17th. Most sources (unconfirmed for obvious reasons like signed NDAs) peg it at the 15th. Samples are already on reviewers hands. I know for a fact Hardware.fr has them and many others will have them before the week is over.

P.S: I don't think this was posted before. New interface for Catalyst 10.12

P.P.S: For those of you feeling adventurous, here is a link for the 8.790.6 Drivers with support for 69xx series: http://www.filefront.com/17608885/8.79.6.7z

94887307.png
63571920.png

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if it's released tomorrow. Did you all forget AMD officially said they would be released sometime during week 50 of this year? That means between the 13th and 17th. Most sources (unconfirmed for obvious reasons like signed NDAs) peg it at the 15th. Samples are already on reviewers hands. I know for a fact Hardware.fr has them and many others will have them before the week is over.

AMD also officially said they would be out in Nov...

Its doubtful they will be out tomorrow though.

Okay after reading the GTX 570 review today I'm curious if the cards are coming on the 13th I'm leaning towards no, they may come as stated on the week of the 13th but Kyle and gang haven't even received their testing samples yet. Usually for reviewing purposes cards get out to reviewers a week before launch and today being less than a week till the 13th. We may see it later in the week like perhaps December 19th. Cutting it pretty close to Christmas this time.

Okay after reading the GTX 570 review today I'm curious if the cards are coming on the 13th I'm leaning towards no, they may come as stated on the week of the 13th but Kyle and gang haven't even received their testing samples yet. Usually for reviewing purposes cards get out to reviewers a week before launch and today being less than a week till the 13th. We may see it later in the week like perhaps December 19th. Cutting it pretty close to Christmas this time.

Your uninformed opinion is duly noted. Cards are already on reviewers hands. This website is only one of dozens more who are going to cover the launch.

Are you sure they don't have a review sample? :)

They honor NDAs. For all we know, they're biting their tongues until it bleeds to give 570 a gold recommendation :) At the very least, they mentioned next week twice and said it's possible they'll have to revisit the performance and value of the award.

They honor NDAs. For all we know, they're biting their tongues until it bleeds to give 570 a gold recommendation :) At the very least, they mentioned next week twice and said it's possible they'll have to revisit the performance and value of the award.

^^Someone gets it

P.S: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/811-22/dossier-nvidia-geforce-gtx-570.html
A l’heure où nous publions ce dossier, les Radeon HD 6900 sont enfin entre nos mains et avec un lancement prévu le 15 décembre il paraît cette fois sage de patienter une semaine de plus pour disposer de toutes les informations avant d’acheter. Qui plus est, si le prix de lancement de 350€ de la GeForce GTX 570 est plutôt bien justifié compte tenu du niveau de performances, il pourrait bien entendu y avoir un ajustement.

At a time when we publish this issue, the Radeon HD 6900 are finally in our hands and with a planned launch on December 15 this time it seems wise to wait another week to get all the information before you buy. Moreover, if the introductory price of 350 € for the GeForce GTX 570 is pretty well justified given the level of performance, there could of course be an adjustment.

Last edited:
Your uninformed opinion is duly noted. Cards are already on reviewers hands. This website is only one of dozens more who are going to cover the launch.

Wow, does it feel like anytime I say anything that reflects even the slightest bit negatively on amd like I'm slapping your first born child in the face. I don't mean for it to feel that way for you :( My comment was barely negative but if it burns you that much sure take a shot at me. I can take it :p

I'm definitely not sure but even in the thread Kyle confirms they haven't yet. Not a big deal like I said it'll probably be out the week of the 13th just like amd said.

Your uninformed opinion is duly noted.
Anything anyone says about the 69xx series is technically "uninformed" since nobody has any actual information other than random leaks, which strangely ALL point to different dates. Some say 8th, some say 13th, and some of them say 2011.

Let's just go fully pessimist and assume the cards don't even exist at all. :p

Heres what im thinking.

6970 1920 4D shaders = 480 Shader Blocks
5870 1600 5D shaders = 320 Shader Blocks

6870 1120 4D shaders = 280 Shader Blocks
5850 1440 5D shaders = 288 Shader Blocks

From what I understand 6870 is somewhat faster than the 5850 with slightly less shader blocks.

The 6970 will be far more than a 5870 scaled up to 1920sp. It would be roughly equivelent to a 2400sp 5870. Theoretically at the same clock speed it should be 1.5x the performance of a 5870.

I would think that it will easily beat the GTX 580 by ~15-20%

Anything anyone says about the 69xx series is technically "uninformed" since nobody has any actual information other than random leaks, which strangely ALL point to different dates. Some say 8th, some say 13th, and some of them say 2011.

Let's just go fully pessimist and assume the cards don't even exist at all. :p

^^ Someone gets it

Heres what im thinking.

From what I understand 6870 is somewhat faster than the 5850 with slightly less shader blocks.

The 6970 will be far more than a 5870 scaled up to 1920sp. It would be roughly equivelent to a 2400sp 5870. Theoretically at the same clock speed it should be 1.5x the performance of a 5870.

Where it goes nuts is that 6870 has 5D shaders.

6870 1120 5D shaders = 224 Shader Blocks

And they perform similar.

If the new 4D shader performs equal to the 5D shader in 6870s, then
480/224 = 214% or a 114% performance boost over 6870s, and 1 6870 = 70% of a 580, so 2x is 140% of a 580.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not sure but even in the thread Kyle confirms they haven't yet. Not a big deal like I said it'll probably be out the week of the 13th just like amd said.
You can't honestly expect him to say "Yes, we have it".

Heres what im thinking.

Well, it's more than just that. It also split the commend processor (and likely the thread dispatcher) in two, which helped the HD6870 get withing spitting range of the HD5870 with 480 fewer shaders (though it did have the same ROP count, though lower fillrate due to memory clocks...)

You can't honestly expect him to say "Yes, we have it".

Yeah I'm sure, but looking back I may have read into it wrong. He said they can't comment on anything they haven't gamed with yet. Perhaps the cards are there but no testing done or waiting on driver from amd for review. Sometimes the first beta driver isn't the one used for reviews.

Where it goes nuts is that 6870 has 5D shaders.

6870 1120 5D shaders = 224 Shader Blocks

And they perform similar.

If the new 4D shader performs equal to the 5D shader in 6870s, then
480/224 = 214% or a 114% performance boost over 6870s, and 1 6870 = 70% of a 580, so 2x is 140% of a 580.

:eek:
WOW. thats gonna be comparable to my 470SLI. Good thing im taking them back friday :)

They officially said week 50 in an investor conference call. If they had lied, there would've been some pretty big consequences.

P.S: If I really had to guess as the cause of the delay it would have to be the drivers since this is a new architecture and first impressions count for a lot with high end hardware enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back