Less worry on Intel C236 (Xeon) than Z170(i5) ?

Z170 mobos are plagued with memory compatibility problems (depends on luck too). Error 55 on the debug code, IRQL not less or equal, etc. Hitechlegion even has a YouTube on it.

Is C236 (the Xeon version) motherboard more mature and better build ? Less worry? Rock stable? Is it also plagued with memory compatibility problem?

I'm trying to build a Skylake gaming PC (SLI in the future). In my country, an MSI C236A Workstation motherboard is cheaper than MSI Z170A Gaming Pro, GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI & ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING. (yeah, that workstation server board is cheaper than those gaming boards). I don't overclock. I just a need a worry free, rock stable gaming rig that will last me for 5 years.

With workstation boards, there's generally a small set of prescribed brands and models of memory modules that you're supposed to use. Other brands often work, but they list the ones they tested in the manual or other docs.

If what you want to use is a workstation board, maybe check to see what brand of memory the manufacturer recommends, and just use that?

Keep in mind that C236 board do not support the Core i7 line (or i5). You would need to get one of the Xeon E3 v5s, which is going to cost you a fair bit more for something with equal performance to a 6700K. Might as well consider the less expensive X99 boards then instead.

A bit dramatic to say those issues "plague" Z170 boards. If you go looking for people having problems, you will find them. If a ton of people were in C236 boards, people would be reporting more problems with those as well. BIOS updates have evened out the issues for the major board makers

A bit dramatic to say those issues "plague" Z170 boards. If you go looking for people having problems, you will find them. If a ton of people were in C236 boards, people would be reporting more problems with those as well. BIOS updates have evened out the issues for the major board makers
Yeah, statistics. The C236 could behave just like any Z170. Luck and crapshoot.

Back