Lenovo Buying IBM Server Business For $2.3B

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like IBM and Lenovo finally agreed on a price for the company's x86 server business. Once this deal is done IBM won't have anything left, at least hardware wise, to sell to Lenovo.

Lenovo said it would settle the transaction with $2 billion in cash and the balance in its own Hong Kong-listed shares. About 7,500 IBM employees in locations including Raleigh, N.C., Shanghai and Shenzhen in China, and Taipei, Taiwan, were expected to be offered employment by Lenovo, the Chinese company said in a statement.

They still have the storage division, I'm in there, we'll see what they do with that....

Surprised it took that long. IBM hasn't wanted to be in mainstream hardware for a LONG time now.

Surprised it took that long. IBM hasn't wanted to be in mainstream hardware for a LONG time now.

Sad thing is they are terrible at software, so don't know what is left.

I deploy software in enterprise environments, anytime an IBM product is brought up I instantly bump any failure rate or resources estimates up 3 fold at least.

We even got the opportunity to toss a resume just because they worked on a IBM product (lotus notes) which we had to deploy.

Sad thing is they are terrible at software, so don't know what is left.

A lot of IBMs software properties was purchased. The Rational Tools were and they really do suck. Neteeza was a good purchase, it's becoming popular in the big data space and has some great performance capabilities but so odd limitations.

Ugh they still have there power shit. I'm tired of all the IBM resellers calling me and preaching how they can cut all of my Oracle processor licenses to a quarter and replace all of my x86 servers with 1 or 2 power servers that cost twice as much as the x86 shit.

I've been down the risc road... Never again. Oh you need to replace that 120mm fan? That will be 800 dollars please.

IBM mainframe doesn't really have much competition.

Banks are big money.

IBM:
We're selling ourselves off piece by piece until we're just a couple of old guys in an office with a patent spread to sue the world!

IBM:
We're selling ourselves off piece by piece until we're just a couple of old guys in an office with a patent spread to sue the world!

IBM is still a HUGE company, they've just decided to go for the big iron stuff which historically has treated them well, much more so than the consumer side. IBM is the kind od company a lot of people around here seem to want Microsoft to emulate by only concentrating on the enterprise.

The Chinese acquire yet more former US property.
Sad we are the sellers and they are the buyers now, how much we have fallen.

Back