Learn Unix before getting into Linux?

mjz_5

2[H]4U
Hi:

I just installed Suse 9.1 on my computer and attempted to install Mozilla Firefox. Well, as you probably know, I have no idea how to install the program. I assume that it has to be done through the command line, no? Would learning Unix be beneficial, and if so, please suggest some good UNIX books.

Thanks

I'm not a real Linux haxer or anything, but learning Unix would probably help you, but it may confuse you more. Just try to learn about Linux as much as you can unless you want to run Linux, Solaris, and Free BSD. If you are just into Linux, I might recommend the Linux Cookbook printed by the No Starch Press. I haven't gone all the way through it yet, but it looks pretty good. Been too busy lately to pick up a new OS, hehe. :D They usually make good books, but its not for complete n00bs. You need to know a little before you start. If you look on the net you can get some info on basic commands and whatnot. Generally if it's for Unix, the command will work in Linux, depending on the shell and stuff. I got a neat Unix chart of commands by SparkCharts at Barnes and Noble.

So, I bet other posters can be more help, but I hope that holds you over until then. GL man, and God Bless!

I like the "Complete Reference: UNIX". It's by Osborne, and covers all Unix variants. Its the one my school uses for it's Linux & Solaris programs.

apHytHiaTe said:
I'm not a real Linux haxer or anything, but learning Unix would probably help you, but it may confuse you more. Just try to learn about Linux as much as you can unless you want to run Linux, Solaris, and Free BSD. If you are just into Linux, I might recommend the Linux Cookbook printed by the No Starch Press. I haven't gone all the way through it yet, but it looks pretty good. Been too busy lately to pick up a new OS, hehe. :D They usually make good books, but its not for complete n00bs. You need to know a little before you start. If you look on the net you can get some info on basic commands and whatnot. Generally if it's for Unix, the command will work in Linux, depending on the shell and stuff. I got a neat Unix chart of commands by SparkCharts at Barnes and Noble.

So, I bet other posters can be more help, but I hope that holds you over until then. GL man, and God Bless!

thanks apHytHiaTe. i now have something to purchase with my 20 dollar gift certificant to chapters :p

mjz_5 said:
snip snip, and if so, please suggest some good UNIX books.
I don't think it's neccesary to buy a book to learn to use Linux. There's an overwhelming amount of documentation out there, and plenty of people willing to help you out. And while I normally prefer books to online documentation, this is not the case when it comes to Linux. But that's just me personally, it's really up to you.

I have never used Suse (only Slackware and Gentoo, and Mandrake for like 10 minutes), so I'm not really one to help you, but all I have to say is there are various ways to install programs in Linux. It all depends on your distro, and on what format you downloaded the program in. You are generally given the option to download either the source code, or an RPM. You can install these things through the command line, but Suse probably provides an easier way to install RPM packages, since there's probably a tool embedded with the Desktop Environment to help you install these. But sooner or later, you will have to learn how to install things from the source code.

I'd love to explain more in-depth, but I'm guessing Suse users will help you out on this one and can provide more accurate info to help you out.

I'm somewhat weird I guess. You see, I find books better than online documentation because they USUALLY explain more than just how to "perform task A," for example. I kinda like to know the whole thing, the 5Ws and H..

Hope that made sense because I pretty tired today. You all have a good night!

MJZ_5

mjz_5 said:
Hope that made sense because I pretty tired today.
Yeah, makes sense.~ That's normally the reason I choose them myself, but I see learning linux just as learning Windows. I feel comfortable enough with Windows to do just about anything I need in it, and I haven't read a single book on Windows. ;) I guess I just try to look at Linux the same way as Windows; if I mess around in it long enough, I'll learn everything I need to. And I have learned quite a bit. Even though there's tons more I have yet to learn.

EDIT: Sorry for posting things off topic, just ignore these posts and help the man.~

I would say if you're going to use linux, get a linux book. Why get stuff for unix that won't directly apply?

I like Linux System Administration as a book. It's a greek book. (I keep it at work so I don't have all the info in front of me)

As for installing software with SuSE you can do it through YAST. I have only tinkered with SuSE on my laptop once, but 95% of the things in it you do through YAST.

Learning Unix might be useful if you're installing from source but with something like SuSE, you should be able to do it through the package management system, which is pretty much unique to each linux distro.

In debian, it's a case of "apt-get install mozilla-firefox" and you're done.

Anarchonixx said:
Yeah, makes sense.~ That's normally the reason I choose them myself, but I see learning linux just as learning Windows. I feel comfortable enough with Windows to do just about anything I need in it, and I haven't read a single book on Windows. ;) I guess I just try to look at Linux the same way as Windows; if I mess around in it long enough, I'll learn everything I need to. And I have learned quite a bit. Even though there's tons more I have yet to learn.

EDIT: Sorry for posting things off topic, just ignore these posts and help the man.~

true, i became really good with windows by just playing around with it since 3.1 :p... but I find linux a little more confusing. for example, my display settings (suse) are at 1024x768, but it is really at 800x600. i did something and know i have no idea how to fix it.. so i'm like, wtf ... if i knew how to do a format c:, i would have already :p

Back