leaning towards this AMD desktop

Gomar

Limp Gawd
But isnt an A10 comparable to i5?

No. It has a better GPU but it no way is the CPU comparable to an i5 desktop processor. Although here you are comparing a 25W 2 core / 4 threaded laptop processor with a 95W desktop processor (also 2 module / 4 threaded).

Last edited:
A10 in CPU power sits between a pentium and i3. It is definitely closer to pentium than i3.
What do you plan to do on this computer? if you are just doing very light games and web browsing / office stuff etc. you will be fine with whichever is cheaper.

Actually even for most games it would be fine and then yes it would be on par with some of the lower i5 you find in prebuilts. In this case the desktop would win out on power but generally desktop doesn't compete with a laptop. Laptops have far more constraints they must adhere to therefore limiting how far they can go.

What power supply does it have in the desktop? I would say the machine is good but, it depends on if you want to upgrade to a discrete video card in the future.

These days (from purchasing OEM systems for work) I would expect it to be 180W or 230W. With a proprietary non atx connector for the motherboard.

Last edited:
Anything above a 250 will be bottlenecked by the weak CPU in a quite a few games, i wouldn't suggest going this prebuilt route if anyone is going to add a DGPU to it. The i7-6500U 2.5 Ghz is more like an underclocked and crippled desktop i3 on paper which sucks too.

I am curious as to why are you choosing between these 2 systems? there are a ton of options in your price range

AMD processors don't use hyper-threading (I'm pretty sure), so intel would be better as a quad core would make 8

AMD processors don't use hyper-threading (I'm pretty sure), so intel would be better as a quad core would make 8
Your comment doesn't really work here, in the scenario at hand. A laptop is always going to be hindered by TDP so no amount of HT is going to help against a desktop, even one with castrated IPC.

Back