Leaked Windows 7 OEM key gets blacklisted

Fast, all I gotta say considering XP ones are still out there.

Yeah, because this'll REALLY stop pirates from finding other loopholes ...

There is nothing they can do.. blacklisted or not its out there now and is used by most.

The only reason they can do this now is because it is before production lines are out on store shelves using this actual key. If that were the case they wouldn't be able to blacklist it without invalidating a lot of legit machines.

Yeah, because this'll REALLY stop pirates from finding other loopholes ...

Read the article. They know they won't stop pirates; they aren't stupid. Their main target demographic is people unknowingly purchasing pirated copies and those that sell and distribute them as legal ones on new machines.

Read the article. They know they won't stop pirates; they aren't stupid. Their main target demographic is people unknowingly purchasing pirated copies and those that sell and distribute them as legal ones on new machines.

Where on earth does that happen? Genuinely curious, btw.

I know all the places to get pirated software myself (who doesn't?), but I have never come across it being sold.

Exactly. Remeber, piracy isn't always a victimless crime, acutally it never is. Some scum bags will steal stuff and then sell it to an unknowing person as the real thing. Happens a lot with Windows.

I know all the places to get pirated software myself (who doesn't?), but I have never come across it being sold.

To be fair, ebay. I know someone personally who has gotten a pc off ebay with a pirated copy of windows. I would be willing to bet small pc shops, craigslist and other countries, you can find sold pirated copies.

Think about it. It's no different than any other counterfeit crime, tennis shoes, pocket books, books, DVD's, etc. As another posted said in other countries. China's the worst but even India. I can't tell you how many counterfeit books I used to see coming out of India.

A legit copy of Windows 7 is only the cost of a CPU heatsink or a couple high quality case fans.....

A legit copy of Windows 7 is only the cost of a CPU heatsink or a couple high quality case fans.....

No.. its not. Where can you get a full retail copy of 7HP for $40.

(playing devils advocate here)

Vermillion said:
blacklisted

Where, in the article linked, does it actually say anything about 'blacklisted'? Perhaps the article has been misunderstood?

A 'blacklisted' key will prevent the product from being able to be activated. The article is saying ONLY that the use of the key/hack combination will, because of already existing checks within Windows 7, trigger a "Not Genuine" validation refusal. Key and hack will produce a 'working' installation of Windows, but it'll be one which presents validation errors and blocks access to Windows/Microsoft Update for all but critical security updates. (That's how validation works.)

Oh! And "not genuine" copies are more common than some of you seem to think, even in 'developed' countries such as the US, UK, australia, etc etc. Via the abovementioned Ebay, online purchases/imports, shonky corner store retailers and backyard 'computer experts' and so on. They do get into the possession of people who are unaware that they aren't actually 'genuine', and that's what the 'Genuine Advantage' validation process is designed to address. It's purpose, as the article linked mentions, is to inform people who have "not genuine" installations and are otherwise not aware of the fact.

If only microsoft start sellign windows as a pci card. No one would be able to pirate it. And the speed will be even faster because it is hardware embedded :)

Other countries.

Um, no, right here in the US buds. I've seen multiple little computer shops here in Atlanta selling computers with pirated versions of windows on them. My friend briefly worked at one and quit because he didn't want to be part of it.

Well I got the 7 Home Premium upgrade for $40 from Microcenter. (I know you said full, but 7HP is 7HP... just the install process is a little more tedious if you want to clean install)

lol this won't stop hackers at all. Most of the high end cracked stuff doesn't even require you to type in a cd key or anything. Unattended installations. This is just for those grannies that decide to enter in the key on a regular windows 7 copy.

Microcenter had Home Premium for $39 during the advance purchase. I bought Professional for $89. Didn't even have to pay in advance actually. Just go to a store and get a pre-order receipt. Will bring it back to the store when it released and buy it for that price.

I saw on some tech forum people were flashing their bios with an updated SLIC, and installing the OS trouble free using the Lenovo key.

How does this affect the people who already activated?

I saw on some tech forum people were flashing their bios with an updated SLIC, and installing the OS trouble free using the Lenovo key.

How does this affect the people who already activated?

They probably won't get updates in the future, and Microsoft may be able to deactivate their machine.

They probably won't get updates in the future, and Microsoft may be able to deactivate their machine.

MS cant do jack unless they release something through updates, stay away from the updates then.

MS cant do jack unless they release something through updates, stay away from the updates then.

Like I said, they probably won't be able to get updates, and if they try to, Microsoft may deactivate their system.

Like I said, they probably won't be able to get updates, and if they try to, Microsoft may deactivate their system.

actually you can get any of the updates via other sites, including the critical ones needed.

Actually if WGA validation fails you still get critical updates via the official and sanctioned mechanisms. It's only non-critical updates which get blocked.

And the speculation aqbout Microsoft maybe disabling the system is utter nonsense. Microsoft's stated policy in this regard is, when Validation fails, to display warning messages and to disable access to non-critical updates via Microsft. That's it. Neither activation nor validation checks are 100% rock-solid foolproof, Disablements do, at times, impact upon legitimate customers.

They flirted with reduced functionality early in the Vista lifecycle, but soon reverted to simply displaying the warning messages and limiting the updates, and they plan to remain doing so.

so i take it you dont shop at walmart? lol 9 times out of 10.. theres some idiot standing in front of a walmart trying to sell lame arse boot legged movies or software.. these people are so dumb and obvious ya just want to walk up to em and punch them..

It hurts MS for them to not allow pirates to get critical updates. Remember blaster? Yeah that hurt MS more than piracy does. It's in their best interest for that to not happen again.

It hurts MS for them to not allow pirates to get critical updates. Remember blaster? Yeah that hurt MS more than piracy does. It's in their best interest for that to not happen again.

Can't forget that 60 second shutdown timer ;)

That was a bug in blaster. It employed two sets of code, one to invoke the vulnerability in win2k, and one to invoke it in winxp. Running the win2k exploit code against winxp (and vise versa) would cause the service to crash, thus bringing up the shutdown dialog (which you could close by typing 'shutdown -a'.)

Small PC shops do it all the time. I had a guy that needed me to reinstall his Windows. I told him I needed his key. He said he bought it at the shop. He contacted the shop and they told him "oh, you don't get the license key". Essentially, they sold him a PC with a cracked or corporate copy (corporate doesn't require activation for XP).

so i take it you dont shop at walmart? lol 9 times out of 10.. theres some idiot standing in front of a walmart trying to sell lame arse boot legged movies or software.. these people are so dumb and obvious ya just want to walk up to em and punch them..

I've been to a lot of Wal-Marts and have never seen this. Even the ones in deep deep ghetto terroritory (pick up your complimentary kevlar next to the shopping carts).

I usually see these people at 99cent stores.

I've been to a lot of Wal-Marts and have never seen this. Even the ones in deep deep ghetto terroritory (pick up your complimentary kevlar next to the shopping carts).

I usually see these people at 99cent stores.

Walmart HAS to be careful about its products, Selling pirated stuff is one way for loose a few billion.

Back